Tustin's 4th High School

test

Legacy Academy?

6-12 Magnet STEM School

legacyacademy.jpg

Well this means there is some progress. Our location within Columbus square makes it a quick walk to both the elementary and middle/high school.

So this will be a magnet school?  Will you have to test in? Or will certain homes be zoned to go here regardless of academics?  It'll be interesting to see how this plays out amongst the TUSD tiger parenting set. 

gasman said:
Break ground in 2018, construction complete in 2019, open for registration in 2025.

Progress. :)

As long as they middle school is open in 9 years I'm good :)

bones said:
So this will be a magnet school?  Will you have to test in? Or will certain homes be zoned to go here regardless of academics?  It'll be interesting to see how this plays out amongst the TUSD tiger parenting set. 

Yeah it's supposed to be a magnet school, Columbus square residents will have first priority. I haven't read anything about testing to get in.

ps9 said:
How much did it cost?  Or how much more MR for this?

MR for me for heritage is about 2400/year. Greenwood is getting hit with a second MR to open up the middle/high school

qwerty said:
ps9 said:
Greenwood is getting hit with a second MR to open up the middle/high school
That is crazy.

Where did all the MRs from CS go these last 6(?) years?

From what I remember, when Lennar gave up the rights to Tustin Legacy and Tustin sold it to the current developers (StanPac and others?), it was at a discount... so why do they need additional bonds to finish infrastructure that should have been figured into the original bonds?

This is really some serious Tea Party run around.

qwerty said:
bones said:

Yeah it's supposed to be a magnet school, Columbus square residents will have first priority. I haven't read anything about testing to get in.

Maybe they'll do it like tustin memorial which is also magnet and just go with a lottery system.  How popular is tustin memorial?  Anyone know?

Tustin Memorial is designated for GATE students but others are welcome. Most of my friends who wanted transfers into the school were allowed.

bones said:
qwerty said:
bones said:

Maybe they'll do it like tustin memorial which is also magnet and just go with a lottery system.  How popular is tustin memorial?  Anyone know?

TUSD loves their money. I'm sure some of the Orchard Hills $200M MR bonds are subsidizing this development.

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
ps9 said:
Greenwood is getting hit with a second MR to open up the middle/high school
That is crazy.

Where did all the MRs from CS go these last 6(?) years?

From what I remember, when Lennar gave up the rights to Tustin Legacy and Tustin sold it to the current developers (StanPac and others?), it was at a discount... so why do they need additional bonds to finish infrastructure that should have been figured into the original bonds?

This is really some serious Tea Party run around.

Oh, and so it begins...  >:D

IHO, I've heard that the TUSD staff bathrooms have $100 bills dispensed for them to wipe their butts with.  Funded by TUSD CFD at Columbus Square.

Tustin to transfer school district 40 acres for new magnet campus

TUSTIN ? The Planning Commission voted Tuesday to support transferring 40 acres of city-owned property to Tustin Unified School District to build a new magnet secondary school.

The land is in the planned Tustin Legacy community, at the southwest corner of Tustin Ranch Road and Valencia Avenue.

Legacy Academy will serve up to 1,200 students in grades 6-12 with a focus on science, technology, engineering and math. The school will be built in phases over the next decade or so, with the junior high slated to open first for the 2019-20 school year, according to Tony Soria, chief financial officer for TUSD.

?I know the STEM aspect is really exciting a lot of residents,? said Austin Lombard, chair pro tem of the Planning Commission and a Tustin Legacy resident.

The district plans to build the school using part of a $75 million bond it will pay back through taxes from a community facilities, or Mello-Roos, district in the works for future Tustin Legacy homes.

Before the land transfer is finalized, the City Council and district still have to approve that financing plan. Those votes are expected the second week of June, Soria said.

TUSD is also considering moving its Hillview and Sycamore high alternative campuses and district administration offices to the 40-acre site, Soria said.

The district planned also to build another elementary school in Tustin Legacy. But with the nearby Heritage School still not open due to lack of demand, TUSD released those 10 acres back to the city for development. Instead, TUSD will use some of the bond funds to expand Heritage School?s capacity from 600 to 900 students.

Those 10 acres might now be sold to a developer and the proceeds used to help build Legacy Academy, Community Development Director Elizabeth Binsack said.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/school-661523-tustin-district.html

Back