Tustin considers crackdown on massage parlors

WTTCHMN

Now we know why qwerty goes out to "walk the dog" twice a day.  ;)

Tustin considers crackdown on massage parlors

Sept. 23, 2015 Updated 8:41 a.m.

By BROOKE EDWARDS STAGGS / Staff Writer

TUSTIN ? The Planning Commission on Tuesday recommended a slew of rules aimed at making it tougher for massage businesses to serve as fronts for prostitution and human trafficking.

The City Council is now expected to vote Oct. 5 on the 14 recommended code changes, which include requiring permits, limiting hours, instituting a dress code and allowing city inspections at all businesses offering massage services.

A number of spas and chiropractor offices in Tustin advertise massage services on adult-only websites with suggestive language and photos, city staff reported. And several have been cited in the past for prostitution and improper licensing.

In 2012, a masseuse was arrested at the former OC Medical Spa after authorities said she offered to perform sexual acts on an undercover police officer. The next year, an Aquatic Oasis employee was arrested on suspicion of solicitation of prostitution. And in April, the city revoked a business license for Lodestone Chiropractic after reports of massages being offered independent of medical services.

The problems have gotten worse in the past seven years, city officials said. They say that?s because changes in state law meant to professionalize the massage industry instead created loopholes that limited city power to regulate local businesses, triggering an explosion in such services across California.

?We knew that was really loosening things up,? said Jeff Thompson, chair of the Planning Commission. ?But we had no idea how serious that problem would become.?

In 2008, there were 11 massage facilities in Tustin. Today, there are 41.

In the wake of complaints, Gov. Jerry Brown signed AB 1147 in September 2014 to give local governments back some control and establish more training requirements for masseurs.

Tustin then passed a moratorium that blocked any new massage parlors from opening or existing ones from expanding through October, to give staff time to draft the policies recommended for approval Tuesday night.

Under the new policies, massage parlor owners would have to provide a list of all employees and proof that each one is state certified. The businesses would be required to post notices about human trafficking. And if any business is cited for misconduct, no permits will be granted at that location for at least 24 months.

Thompson sees these new regulations as a step in the right direction. The real test, he said, will come over the next six months to a year, as officials monitor how the laws are impacting the number of massage establishments in Tustin and whether the businesses are operating legitimately.

Contact the writer: 714-796-7963 or BStaggs@OCRegister.com

The California Court Company said:
ah great. yesterday i enjoyed my afternoon tea break at little Saigon and today I will get some message for some afternoon delight

If only they had more places like these in Foothill Ranch!

It's sad. Just like illicit drugs, happy ending parlors proliferate because of the demand, simple as that. No customer = no demand = no business. Tustin went from 11 to 41 because hordes of horny customers in the area help fan the proliferation.

A co-worker who is single regularly visits massage parlors to get happy endings. They are all over the place, from Laguna Hills to Mission Viejo to Tustin. I don't talk to him anymore because he disgusts me with his lechery and objectification of women. Not sure what part of "illegal" or "STD" he didn't understand. Often times, one business would shut down only to pop up again in a different part of town or adjacent city, like mushrooms. Customers seek them out, usually within one visit. I'll bet if the parlors post "NO HAPPY ENDING" signs in the front door, they would not get as much business. 

Not sure if Irvine is immune to this.

Irvineknight said:
It's sad. Just like illicit drugs, happy ending parlors proliferate because of the demand, simple as that. No customer = no demand = no business. Tustin went from 11 to 41 because hordes of horny customers in the area help fan the proliferation.

A co-worker who is single regularly visits massage parlors to get happy endings. They are all over the place, from Laguna Hills to Mission Viejo to Tustin. I don't talk to him anymore because he disgusts me with his lechery and objectification of women. Not sure what part of "illegal" or "STD" he didn't understand. Often times, one business would shut down only to pop up again in a different part of town or adjacent city, like mushrooms. Customers seek them out, usually within one visit. I'll bet if the parlors post "NO HAPPY ENDING" signs in the front door, they would not get as much business. 

The government should just legalize it. They can establish safety standards, tax businesses, and create proper zoning requirements.

Irvineknight said:

I think in the last couple years? There was an older Korean Madame busted in Irvine.  So no, the mighty Irvine isn't immune to it.

Irvineknight said:
There's always going to be horny people.  Can't blame them.  There are many more customers than businesses.

Irvineknight said:
A co-worker who is single regularly visits massage parlors to get happy endings. They are all over the place, from Laguna Hills to Mission Viejo to Tustin. I don't talk to him anymore because he disgusts me with his lechery and objectification of women. Not sure what part of "illegal" or "STD" he didn't understand.
Is he single?  If so, would you prefer that he was dating women instead?

Unfortunately a single guy who is kind of creepy, not very attractive, overweight and with a dead-end job doesn't have much of a prospect of attracting a girl friend. Happy ending parlors offer a quick solution although at a cost. This poor SOB sometimes needs to borrow money before the next pay check.

Too many sorry-ass dudes out there, unwilling or unable to improve themselves, having to resort to drugs, alcohol or prostitutes to fill in the void in their lives. Can't say I feel sorry for people like that. If they get STD or go broke with this habit, too bad, so sad, not my problem.

Irvineknight said:
If they get STD or go broke with this habit, too bad, so sad, not my problem.

It's this kind of negative, dismisssive attitude that push guys like these to food, hookers and cocaine :)

Back