Tustin Air Base Hangar on fire

I think you are asking why they closed the schools if the air was clean? They didn’t specifically say but my guess is the debris on the campus. On Nextdoor a parent posted a pic of the hangar l debris that her son came home with. Not good

Yeah, I just thought closing all schools was an overreach. Keeping Legacy Magnet closed was smart. But closing Beckman, Orchard Hills, Myford, and other schools on that side didn't make much sense to me.

There is ash all over the place. People in Northpark square which is somewhat north reported ash all over their backyard so there is probably (or was) ash on the campus. It was probably the right thing to do. I’m guessing they will test the campuses somehow before they let kids go back to school. They will have to provide an update today/tomorrow

Yeah, I just thought closing all schools was an overreach. Keeping Legacy Magnet closed was smart. But closing Beckman, Orchard Hills, Myford, and other schools on that side didn't make much sense to me.
At least one piece of debris was found at Beckman by staff. It's marked as a yellow school on the TUSD site.

there are some IUSD schools closer to the Hangar than some of the TUSD schools and there is no reaction from IUSD. it looks like the air pollution magically don't cross city borders. That's why it is worth the premium to live in Irvine

TUSD schools will be closed on monday, potentially emtire next week depend on evaluation.

Btw, hanger 1 is flared up again. 😔IMG_0236.jpeg

The plan was always to let it burn. On Tuesday, OCFA said in one of their first press conferences that letting it burn is the best path forward, primarily because it's unsafe for firefighters to enter the structure as it can collapse at any time. As long as the fire is under control as it is now, there should be less debris. It's basically a slow burn at this point - until the hanger burns to the ground.

I've said this a couple of times in this thread, but people/buildings/schools/homes are only at a small risk within a 0.5 mile radius. The primary concern is debris on the ground - not anything airborne. Air testing on 11/8 and 11/9 at multiple sites near the hangar confirmed no asbestos was airborne. They also tested for toxins like benzene and there was none airborne. There will be further testing this week in Tustin and Irvine which will also confirm little to no asbestos in the air.

Studies have shown that these building fires with toxins being released have little consequence for those nearby. As far as carcinogens go...sitting by a bonfire is probably worse than breathing in the air currently.

The plan was always to let it burn. On Tuesday, OCFA said in one of their first press conferences that letting it burn is the best path forward, primarily because it's unsafe for firefighters to enter the structure as it can collapse at any time. As long as the fire is under control as it is now, there should be less debris. It's basically a slow burn at this point - until the hanger burns to the ground.

I've said this a couple of times in this thread, but people/buildings/schools/homes are only at a small risk within a 0.5 mile radius. The primary concern is debris on the ground - not anything airborne. Air testing on 11/8 and 11/9 at multiple sites near the hangar confirmed no asbestos was airborne. They also tested for toxins like benzene and there was none airborne. There will be further testing this week in Tustin and Irvine which will also confirm little to no asbestos in the air.

Studies have shown that these building fires with toxins being released have little consequence for those nearby. As far as carcinogens go...sitting by a bonfire is probably worse than breathing in the air currently.
So I know this is not the same as burning and debris flying for a mile or two but 10 years ago the roof collapsed and that must have released asbestos and no one has come up with mesothelioma or clusters of cancer.

So I know this is not the same as burning and debris flying for a mile or two but 10 years ago the roof collapsed and that must have released asbestos and no one has come up with mesothelioma or clusters of cancer.
Mesothelioma takes 10-40 years to present itself, we just hit the 10 year mark so it is probably premature to declare victory on that one. Also, the roof collapsed and fell into the building so most of the asbestos was probably contained inside although I’m sure there is some that escaped through the open section of the roof. Unfortunately only time will tell.

Say it louder for those in the back. All my text threads think this is the black plague. Exhausting. If you don’t live in TL, pivot back to Gaza, Ukraine, gender neutral bathrooms, book bans or whatever else.

Say it louder for those in the back. All my text threads think this is the black plague. Exhausting. If you don’t live in TL, pivot back to Gaza, Ukraine, gender neutral bathrooms, book bans or whatever else.

Yeah...but those people don't listen. Doesn't matter how much data or information is out there. Oh no...Asbestos is in the air!!

Nov 13 2023 6:51 PM
Dear TUSD Families:
It is with a heavy heart that I share tonight’s update. Throughout the weekend, we shared a detailed plan with families regarding reopening schools for on-campus instruction following clearance by the certified asbestos consulting firm. Since this communication was provided and additional details have been shared, we have received new information from the Incident Management Team(IMT). The IMT is under the direction of the Orange County Fire Authority and works in coordination with the City of Tustin.
Due to the concerns of the recent fire activity at the Tustin Hangar and as shared in the incident report posted today, the IMT is currently preparing for the controlled and systematic teardown of the hangar at a date to be determined. Based on this information and out of an abundance of caution regarding the safety of our students and staff, we have made the difficult decision to pause our reopening plan. As such, it is disappointing to share that all schools will participate in virtual learning tomorrow, November 14. Virtual instructional plans will be communicated by school principals later this evening.
Please know that based upon this evolving situation, it is possible that all TUSD schools will finish this week in virtual instruction. We will communicate updates as soon as we know more information.
We appreciate the continued patience and support of our parents and community as we work through this challenging situation. We understand the difficulty this news may present to our families. Please know that the safety and well-being of our students and staff is at the forefront of every decision that we make. We are also grateful for our continued partnership with OCHCA, South Coast AQMD, the City of Tustin and the IMT as they help to lead this situation.
Sincerely,
Mark Johnson, Ed.D.
Superintendent

TUSD going virtual tomorrow. But, no particular reason given other than that the fire flared up over the weekend and today?

It was a confusing read. It sounded like the decision may be tied to their decision to dismantle it. But that’s at a date TBD. Who wrote this?

Just got a text indicating they will be handling out 4 breakfast and lunch packages for each student at a designated schools. It basically means they will do virtual for rest of this week. 😀

IUSD thinks it’s no big deal. I told my son he shouldve sticked with Northwood HS instead of BHS 😎

TUSD Update - November 13

Dear TUSD Families:
It is with a heavy heart that I share tonight’s update. Throughout the weekend, we shared a detailed plan with families regarding reopening schools for on-campus instruction following clearance by the certified asbestos consulting firm. Since this communication was provided and additional details have been shared, we have received new information from the Incident Management Team (IMT). The IMT is under the direction of the Orange County Fire Authority and works in coordination with the City of Tustin.
Due to the concerns of recent fire activity at the Tustin Hangar and as shared in the incident report posted today, the IMT is currently preparing for the controlled and systematic teardown of the hangar at a date to be determined. Based on this information and out of an abundance of caution regarding the safety of our students and staff, we have made the difficult decision to pause our reopening plan. As such, it is disappointing to share that all schools will participate in virtual learning tomorrow, November 14. Virtual instructional plans will be communicated by school principals later this evening.
Please know that based upon this evolving situation, it is possible that all TUSD schools will finish this week in virtual instruction. We will communicate updates as soon as we know more information.
We appreciate the continued patience and support of our parents and community as we work through this challenging situation. We understand the difficulty this news presents for our families. Please know that the safety and wellbeing of our students and staff is at the forefront of every decision that we make. We are also grateful for our continued partnership with OCHCA, South Coast AQMD, the City of Tustin and the IMT as they help to lead this situation.
Sincerely,
Mark Johnson, Ed.D.
Superintendent

It was a confusing read. It sounded like the decision may be tied to their decision to dismantle it. But that’s at a date TBD. Who wrote this?

I read the incident report. Sounds like the concern is the flare-ups causing new debris in the immediate area. I'm guessing that TUSD doesn't want to clean the schools only to have to clean them again. And for whatever reason, they can't go virtual for some schools and keep others open as usual.

In other news, air testing results from 11/11 and 11/12 have come back and there is no sign of airborne asbestos detected: https://www.tustinca.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=732

Weird. Because they were all prepared to do virtual at some schools and in person at others tomorrow before the last minute pivot.

Back