Tustin Air Base Hangar on fire

Tustin Unified School District is cancelling all classes for Thursday 11/9/23 due to the asbestos risk.

Important Message for TUSD Families re: School Closure November 9​

Dear TUSD Families,
Late tonight, in a conference call with multiple agencies regarding the North Hanger 1 Fire, South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) made us aware that debris found in the Tustin Legacy area tested greater than 1% positive for asbestos.
With student and staff safety being our highest priority and in collaboration with the City of Tustin and the Orange County Health Care Agency (OCHCA), we made the decision to close all school campuses within Tustin Unified School District tomorrow, Thursday, November 9. For tomorrow, no instruction will take place throughout the district. In addition, all preschools and daycares (Catalyst and YMCA) in TUSD will be closed tomorrow.
Recommendations from OCHCA have been shared in their communication and include limiting exposure by remaining indoors with windows and doors closed; avoiding touching ash or debris from burned structures; avoiding vigorous activity; and running air conditioner or air purifier. In addition, SCAQMD has shared resources regarding wildfire smoke and ash health and safety tips.
We apologize for the timing of this email and understand how this greatly impacts students, staff and families. We are awaiting additional information from SCAQMD. Please be assured that we will communicate with you throughout the weekend regarding important updates, as more information becomes available.
Sincerely,
Mark Johnson, Ed.D.
Superintendent

The day to close was Tuesday when we didn't have wind and smoke and dust cloud was going straight up and coming down all over Santa Ana, Tustin, Irvine.

The secondary now is what is their plan to coat or contain the debris so that the shifting winds don't continue to spread the released asbestos fibers everywhere?

Everybody knew before Tuesday the hangar was a toxic soup of chemicals and asbestos.

Tustin Unified School District is cancelling all classes for Thursday 11/9/23 due to the asbestos risk.

Important Message for TUSD Families re: School Closure November 9​

Dear TUSD Families,
Late tonight, in a conference call with multiple agencies regarding the North Hanger 1 Fire, South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) made us aware that debris found in the Tustin Legacy area tested greater than 1% positive for asbestos.
With student and staff safety being our highest priority and in collaboration with the City of Tustin and the Orange County Health Care Agency (OCHCA), we made the decision to close all school campuses within Tustin Unified School District tomorrow, Thursday, November 9. For tomorrow, no instruction will take place throughout the district. In addition, all preschools and daycares (Catalyst and YMCA) in TUSD will be closed tomorrow.
Recommendations from OCHCA have been shared in their communication and include limiting exposure by remaining indoors with windows and doors closed; avoiding touching ash or debris from burned structures; avoiding vigorous activity; and running air conditioner or air purifier. In addition, SCAQMD has shared resources regarding wildfire smoke and ash health and safety tips.
We apologize for the timing of this email and understand how this greatly impacts students, staff and families. We are awaiting additional information from SCAQMD. Please be assured that we will communicate with you throughout the weekend regarding important updates, as more information becomes available.
Sincerely,
Mark Johnson, Ed.D.
Superintendent
How ironic that a school district can't spell hangar and doesn't know the difference from a hanger which you hang your clothes on. Don't they need to go to school to run a school?

If I'm in Tustin Legacy adjacent to the hangers, I'd try to get out of there and go somewhere for the long weekend. Hopefully, they stayed inside Tues/Weds. I wouldn't be too concerned if I'm in surrounding cities or even 2+ miles away. I believe there are studies that indicate that individuals are unlikely to inhale toxic levels of asbestos as a result of a nearby fire. Additionally, I believe the high winds may be a good thing "diluting" the asbestos. But again...if I'm right there by the hangers, I'd try to get out because the asbestos (and other toxic chemicals) are likely to be more concentrated in that area.

From Don Wagner

Later this afternoon, after extensive consultation between county staff, the federal EPA, the Health Care Agency, CalOES, the Air Quality Management District (AQMD), and federal and local officials, I will exercise my authority as Chairman of the County Board of Supervisors to declare a county-wide state of emergency following the Tustin Hanger fire. The declaration will expedite the availability of state and federal resources and fulfill certain legal requirements with respect to environmental clean up. The experts tell us that caution, but not serious concern or significant emergency actions, by the public is appropriate. Thus, we are continuing through the weekend the advice issued yesterday by our public health officer to limit outdoor activities. If you have ash in your yards or otherwise around your homes, please do not sweep it up or use blowers to remove it. Instead, hose away the ash, preferably while wearing a face covering. U.S. Representative Young Kim informs me that she has sent a letter to the Department of the Navy, now signed onto by the entire Orange County congressional delegation, demanding prompt debris removal. The building and surrounding acreage are owned by the Navy, which has responsibility for the site, including all remediation and clean up. We have opened the County’s Emergency Operations Center to coordinate our local response and provide information to the public. I have also been in contact with Tustin Mayor Austin Lumbard about this terrible fire. The city is cooperating fully in our response. We understand that the AQMD will be conducting further tests of the air throughout the county to determine the extent of any ash dispersal or additional responses that might be called for under the circumstances. The County created a website with access to resources, contacts, and information for our residents affected by the debris and smoke from the fire:
www.ocgov.com/Tustin
We also set up a public information hotline for any resident who may have questions. Public Information Hotline:
714-628-7085
.The entire Board of Supervisors is being kept abreast of developments. My colleagues share my concern that the Navy act promptly and calls for community caution. I thank Congresswoman Kim, Mayor Lumbard, and our congressional delegation for their swift actions to join with us in protecting all of Orange County.

I sense lawsuits in the air.

From Don Wagner

Later this afternoon, after extensive consultation between county staff, the federal EPA, the Health Care Agency, CalOES, the Air Quality Management District (AQMD), and federal and local officials, I will exercise my authority as Chairman of the County Board of Supervisors to declare a county-wide state of emergency following the Tustin Hanger fire. The declaration will expedite the availability of state and federal resources and fulfill certain legal requirements with respect to environmental clean up. The experts tell us that caution, but not serious concern or significant emergency actions, by the public is appropriate. Thus, we are continuing through the weekend the advice issued yesterday by our public health officer to limit outdoor activities. If you have ash in your yards or otherwise around your homes, please do not sweep it up or use blowers to remove it. Instead, hose away the ash, preferably while wearing a face covering. U.S. Representative Young Kim informs me that she has sent a letter to the Department of the Navy, now signed onto by the entire Orange County congressional delegation, demanding prompt debris removal. The building and surrounding acreage are owned by the Navy, which has responsibility for the site, including all remediation and clean up. We have opened the County’s Emergency Operations Center to coordinate our local response and provide information to the public. I have also been in contact with Tustin Mayor Austin Lumbard about this terrible fire. The city is cooperating fully in our response. We understand that the AQMD will be conducting further tests of the air throughout the county to determine the extent of any ash dispersal or additional responses that might be called for under the circumstances. The County created a website with access to resources, contacts, and information for our residents affected by the debris and smoke from the fire:
www.ocgov.com/Tustin
We also set up a public information hotline for any resident who may have questions. Public Information Hotline:
714-628-7085
.The entire Board of Supervisors is being kept abreast of developments. My colleagues share my concern that the Navy act promptly and calls for community caution. I thank Congresswoman Kim, Mayor Lumbard, and our congressional delegation for their swift actions to join with us in protecting all of Orange County.
They need funds to deal with the south hangar too.

Sadly…
  • Air/water quality lawsuits don’t go far with the government (Camp Lejeune, Erin Brockovich)
  • I sense arson for a homebuilder to gain control of land.

Not sure if anyone read the actual reports embedded here: https://ocgov.com/press/orange-coun...r-tustin-marine-corps-air-station-hangar-fire

In summary:
This leads me to greater questions about why TUSD closed schools. Obviously, chunks of debris will contain asbestos. More important were the air sample tests but those came back with no asbestos.....

Envirocheck has established a hotline phone number for Tustin residents and businesses to call to request removal of fire-related debris from their homes or businesses at no cost to the property owner. If you are a Tustin resident or business and you have fire-related debris, the number to call is
(714) 937-0750

Envirocheck has established a hotline phone number for Tustin residents and businesses to call to request removal of fire-related debris from their homes or businesses at no cost to the property owner. If you are a Tustin resident or business and you have fire-related debris, the number to call is
(714) 937-0750
I called them this morning and they will call me back. TBD

Not sure if anyone read the actual reports embedded here: https://ocgov.com/press/orange-coun...r-tustin-marine-corps-air-station-hangar-fire

In summary:
This leads me to greater questions about why TUSD closed schools. Obviously, chunks of debris will contain asbestos. More important were the air sample tests but those came back with no asbestos.....
I think you are asking why they closed the schools if the air was clean? They didn’t specifically say but my guess is the debris on the campus. On Nextdoor a parent posted a pic of the hangar l debris that her son came home with. Not good

Back