Tustin Air Base Hangar on fire

The Navy has dragged their feet in doing something with that hangar. The roof caved in years ago and they just let it sit there. Hopefully they will just tear the whole thing down now.

Is this the hanger closest to the Stater Bros shopping center off Valencia? Should have done something about this years ago. I wonder what toxic chemicals were in the air with that fire.

Yes it is. Those were my thoughts exactly. I believe part of the reason they didn’t tear them down was because of the asbestos. The OCFA did say “The fire could burn for several hours, if not days, Fennessy said. There is no known risk of asbestos contamination, he said, and Tuesday’s weather conditions were driving the smoke upward.”

So not sure if the asbestos was cleaned up - highly doubtful. He probably just doesn’t know so which is why he said there is no known risk :-(

It’s probably only a matter of time before some law firm goes door to door knocking to sue the Navy. Neither the city or OCFA have issued some sort of chemical warning. But it’s probably more out of ignorance.

lol just did google search on Asbestos after a fire. the language between a law firm and government is quite interesting.

from a random law firm
Individuals who inhale these tiny particles are at risk for several serious and often fatal diseases, including mesothelioma, asbestos-related lung cancer, asbestosis and pleural thickening.

from government
It is unlikely that anyone in the area of a fire will have more than a short term, low level exposure to asbestos from this fire.

So now it’s landfill vs the plume vs avocado pesticide spraying vs waste management facility vs asphalt plant vs hangar fire. We just need the cemetery option to return.

lol just did google search on Asbestos after a fire. the language between a law firm and government is quite interesting.

from a random law firm

from government
Why would anyone trust the government any more? EPA told people air was ok after 9/11

Yes it is. Those were my thoughts exactly. I believe part of the reason they didn’t tear them down was because of the asbestos. The OCFA did say “The fire could burn for several hours, if not days, Fennessy said. There is no known risk of asbestos contamination, he said, and Tuesday’s weather conditions were driving the smoke upward.”

So not sure if the asbestos was cleaned up - highly doubtful. He probably just doesn’t know so which is why he said there is no known risk :-(

The line about "no known risk of asbestos contamination" was removed from the LA Times article. Makes me think there is a risk and someone told them to remove that part.

FB_IMG_1699474566102.jpg

“Oh no! What a fortunate coincidence that this large wooden structure that was deemed too costly/difficult to deconstruct has caught fire while completely vacant and now is getting an unplanned demolition with taxpayer money instead. However could this have happened... Guess we’ll have to build 4 apartment complexes on top of it instead of turning it into the air museum we promised…”

View attachment 9302

“Oh no! What a fortunate coincidence that this large wooden structure that was deemed too costly/difficult to deconstruct has caught fire while completely vacant and now is getting an unplanned demolition with taxpayer money instead. However could this have happened... Guess we’ll have to build 4 apartment complexes on top of it instead of turning it into the air museum we promised…”
Lol! See LL, it was good I sold that legacy property after all......... lol!

Tustin Unified School District is cancelling all classes for Thursday 11/9/23 due to the asbestos risk.

Important Message for TUSD Families re: School Closure November 9​

Dear TUSD Families,
Late tonight, in a conference call with multiple agencies regarding the North Hanger 1 Fire, South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) made us aware that debris found in the Tustin Legacy area tested greater than 1% positive for asbestos.
With student and staff safety being our highest priority and in collaboration with the City of Tustin and the Orange County Health Care Agency (OCHCA), we made the decision to close all school campuses within Tustin Unified School District tomorrow, Thursday, November 9. For tomorrow, no instruction will take place throughout the district. In addition, all preschools and daycares (Catalyst and YMCA) in TUSD will be closed tomorrow.
Recommendations from OCHCA have been shared in their communication and include limiting exposure by remaining indoors with windows and doors closed; avoiding touching ash or debris from burned structures; avoiding vigorous activity; and running air conditioner or air purifier. In addition, SCAQMD has shared resources regarding wildfire smoke and ash health and safety tips.
We apologize for the timing of this email and understand how this greatly impacts students, staff and families. We are awaiting additional information from SCAQMD. Please be assured that we will communicate with you throughout the weekend regarding important updates, as more information becomes available.
Sincerely,
Mark Johnson, Ed.D.
Superintendent

Interesting that TUSD schools in Irvine are closed too. I thought being on the other side of the 5 would be far enough.

Back