TUSD's Building Program - Updates for Irvine Locations

SoCal78_IHB

From the <a href="http://www.tustin.k12.ca.us/html/newscenter/intouch/08-09/0906.htm">"In Touch With TUSD"</a> newsletter issued by the superintendent, here is an excerpt regarding the developments at some of the TUSD schools in Irvine:

"New two-story classroom additions are being built at Hicks Canyon Elementary School and Beckman High School. Construction work continues on the new Orchard Hills K-8 School, which is scheduled to open in the fall of 2010."

Thanks...I also notice they have the Heritage Elem at Tustin Legacy (VoC) scheduled to open for fall 2010. I wonder if they'll have enough kids in Columbus Square to support a whole school, or if it will pull from some of the surrounding neighborhoods as well?

[quote author="CK" date=1244504624]Thanks...I also notice they have the Heritage Elem at Tustin Legacy (VoC) scheduled to open for fall 2010. I wonder if they'll have enough kids in Columbus Square to support a whole school, or if it will pull from some of the surrounding neighborhoods as well?</blockquote>

Yeah, I don't know. Incidentally, I was looking back at our old thread where we were talking about the boundaries for Orchard Hills school and OCR article had said they will be determined "in early 2009". Well here we are in June. I checked TUSD's site and Google'd for some news on it I may have missed, but I can't find any updates. If you hear anything from your daughter's school, please let us know.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1244505824][quote author="CK" date=1244504624]Thanks...I also notice they have the Heritage Elem at Tustin Legacy (VoC) scheduled to open for fall 2010. I wonder if they'll have enough kids in Columbus Square to support a whole school, or if it will pull from some of the surrounding neighborhoods as well?</blockquote>

Yeah, I don't know. Incidentally, I was looking back at our old thread where we were talking about the boundaries for Orchard Hills school and OCR article had said they will be determined "in early 2009". Well here we are in June. I checked TUSD's site and Google'd for some news on it I may have missed, but I can't find any updates. If you hear anything from your daughter's school, please let us know.</blockquote>

They did address it at registration this year, indicating that the opening of the Orchard Hills school was expected Fall 2010 --- one year after originally scheduled because (quoting principal) "obviously they are not building any houses there yet". The principal also said expectation was that the combination of OH school opening plus the expansion of Hicks Canyon Elem would relieve a great deal of pressure on Myford, which absorbs some overflow from the Northpark kids, in addition to the already steep student population from West Irvine.

As far as the middle school boundaries for Orchard Hills K-8 school, who knows. My own common sense would tell me that 6-8 graders from Northpark and Orchard Hills would attend OH, and the West Irvine 6-8 kids would stay at Pioneer, given that Pioneer is closer. But of course my own common sense and that of the school district do not usually agree, so take that for what its worth.

Back