Trojan's return to home ownership in Irvine

usctrojancpa

Before I get into the details of the home search and eventual purchase of the home, I would like to thank all of my previous and current clients on here & IHB (including their referrals).  It wouldn?t have happened without you guys!

Some of you guys may remember that I sold my Ambridge Plan 4 condo in Quail Hill back in the fall of 2008 for $620k.  I missed the peak where I could have gotten $725k-$750k in 2006 but I?m still happy because I bought it for around $550k and prices are now $540k-$550k for the same floor plan.  After the sale I became a TIC renter again.  I was fortunate enough that several of my buyers had similar budgets and requirements for their home as I did so having seen hundreds of homes in various cities like Irvine, Tustin Ranch, Aliso Viejo, Laguna Niguel, Foothill Ranch, Orange, Costa Mesa, etc?I began to learn quickly on what each city had to offer in terms of a home for my price range.  My ?must-have? requirements were the following:

- Detached single family home
- 3+ bedrooms with a downstairs bedroom or office/den
- FULL driveway
- 1,800sf+
- Under $700k
- Not near railroad tracks, the 5 or 405 Freeways, backing up to a big street, or near power lines

There were a few floor plans in Laguna Niguel, Orange (Serrano Heights), and Aliso Viejo that fit the bill but ultimately I determined Irvine was where I wanted to be.  I have lived in Irvine since 2000 and my mom lives here too.  Also, most of my buyers are looking for a home in Irvine and Irvine/Tustin Ranch and since that area is centrally located it was an easy choice.  I identified a few floor plans in West Irvine, Oak Creek, Woodbridge, and Portola Springs that we on my short list.  The front runner was the Plan 2 over at Las Ventanas.  The game plan was to purchase a home sometime in 2012 as my finances were ready and a combination of lower prices & super low interest rates made the numbers (I?m a numbers guy afterall) make a lot of sense to buy.  Besides, I was telling my buyers that it was so good if their intent was to live in the home for the longer term (7+ years) so what better way to put my money where my mouth was. 

I obtained a loan pre-approval letter in the summer of 2011 in order to make a few offers on homes that caught my fancy.  I submitted a few offers on homes in Woodbridge and West Irvine but nothing panned out.  Then the home that I purchased came along?.a dreaded short sale in West Irvine.  I knew the floor plan and submitted a semi-low ball offer sight unseen (I could have always pulled the offer later on if the inspection turned up some deal breakers).  The listing agent was a regular West Irvine listing agent so I thought maybe things would go on the ?up and up? for a change with this short sale.  After about 2-3 months of radio silence, the listing calls me out of the blue and says that they got a verbal short sale approval from Bank of America with my offer price and start getting things going on the inspection and loan side.  The short sale had 2 Countrywide (BofA now) loans so we all figured we just needed approval from the first lender and we?d be good to go.  Unfortunately, a week later the listing agent calls me back with some bad news.  Apparently the second loan was owned by a different set of investors so we?ll need to get a separate short sale approval from them and the list agent said that I might have to ?kick in? some additional funds for the second if what the first lender offered wasn?t enough.  I said no problem as long as it?s not a huge amount.  So two weeks later I get a call from the listing agent saying that the second lender would only approve the short sale if they got $X which meant that I?d have to kick in about $10k more into escrow to make it happen.  I already built in a bit of wiggle room on the offer price so the extra funds to the second were within my max price for the home.

After the short sale approvals were received, I scheduled my inspector to come out (Matt) to go check out the home.  The home was a MESS?basically a combination of a packrat, slob, and pig all rolled up into one lived in the home.  It needed a LOT of cosmetic work but the good news was the inspector said the bones of the house were solid, basically calling it a diamond in the rough (the perfect description for the home).  The home had a large lot for Irvine (5k SF), built-in Viking BBQ with the gas line attached, and a pool/spa that needed work (net positive for me).  Being that I?ve gone through a few renovation projects in the past, I was more than fine with a bit of a fixer project.  The condition pool/spa did raise an issue with the lender even though the pool/spa was fenced off.  Basically the lender classified the pool/spa as a safety issue since it was basically empty and not functioning.  The lender stated that I would have to repair the pool in order to close on the loan.  Well, that wasn?t going to happen because the seller would not allow me to do it and I wouldn?t do because there was no guarantee that the sale would close.  The solution was to have the appraiser ?take out? the value of the pool/spa from the home and since I was putting more than 20% down there was no appraised value issues.  So we cleared that hurdle.

At that point, I thought it was clear sailing to close.  The listing agent was doing a good job at postponing the courthouse foreclosure auction every month like clockwork so the property wouldn?t get foreclosed on.  Then we ran into the biggest issue of all when we were a few weeks away from closing?the wife (a divorce situation where the husband moved out) basically changed her mind and refused to sign the grant deed.  Well, I thought that was it?GAME OVER?hello foreclosure.  But the listing agent kept positive and said that the husband was planning on going to court and ask the court to force his soon-to-be ex-wife to sign the grant deed.  A few weeks later I found out the court granted the husband?s request to have his wife sign the grant deed but low and behold she still refused to sign and got cited for contempt of a court order.  So then the husband?s lawyer submitted a request that the court sign on behalf of the wife (which I didn?t even think was even possible).  And to my amazement, the court actually granted the request and the court clerk signed on behalf of the wife.  Fortunately, the title company was fine with this because the court order was attached to the signed & notarized grant deed from the court clerk.  And a few days later I wire over my funds and BAM, I?m an Irvine homeowner again.  Special thanks to Soylent People is Green to taking care of me on the loan side, it was a roller coaster ride but we got it done.

After closing and changing the locks, it was time to roll up the sleeves and get down to some remodeling work.  First step was to clean the place of all trash, boxes, and garbage along starting some demo work with pulling out the nasty old carpet and beat up wood flooring.  I also decided to knock down a small wall that split the living and dining area in half and really made the area look smaller.  Then it was time to put in LED recessed lights and ceiling fans in the living room and bedrooms.  Paint was next on the list, including painting the ceilings a pure white to brighten them up and the doors, stair railing, fireplace, and door trim because they had this unpleasant cream color.  After that, flooring was next up with dark distressed flooring in all of the downstairs areas (excluding the half bath where put down this color tile along with a new vanity, lights, and toilet) and the stairs and upstairs hallway area.  I put this nice soft carpet in the bedrooms to give them a cozy feeling.  Both of the floors in the upstairs bathrooms were in good shape so I figured I?d wait a bit on upgrading them as well as the kitchen.  The outside was like a jungle, especially in the backyard so I brought in a gardener to trim all of the trees and remove all of the bushes and weeds.  The remodeling project took about 2 months but it was well worth the wait.  I took care of the pool/spa last week after I settled in and enjoyed the fruits of my remodeling labor.  In the next year I will remodel the kitchen & counter tops, replace the upstairs the bathroom cabinets, and upgrade the bathrooms with some nice tile work.  I?ll also have to put in some flowers and trees in the backyard but for now I?m just enjoying the home. 

Oooo... drama.... interesting.

So since she didn't sign the grant deed... I'm assuming she wasn't too happy about moving out... or had she moved out already? Did she trash the place to spite you?

As The World Turns....

irvinehomeowner said:
Oooo... drama.... interesting.

So since she didn't sign the grant deed... I'm assuming she wasn't too happy about moving out... or had she moved out already? Did she trash the place to spite you?

As The World Turns....
Yeah, the drama factor was very high on this transaction (thankful none of my buyers had to deal with the drama that I had to endure on this home).  She actually moved out a few weeks before I closed on the home from what the neighbors told me (they didn't really like her and I guess she didn't like them).  They told me that she kinda "flipped" when her husband left her for some other woman.  She didn't really trash the place, she left it just how she was living....dirty and stuff everywhere. 

I had to play Mad Libs to understand this. Some valuable words are missing. Trojan, don't leave us hanging - did you have to drag her out kicking and screaming?  :)

"The listing agent was doing a ________ job at postponing the courthouse foreclosure..."

Good? Piss poor?

"the wife (a divorce situation where the husband moved out) basically changed her _______ and refused to sign..."

Mind? Locks? Shoes?? :)

"... the __________ entered in court order was attached to the signed & notarized grant deed..."

?? Partridge in a pear tree? (That one might be a reading comprehension problem on my part if you mean "entered-in court order".)

Cliff-hangers abound.  :)

So you used to live in Quail Hill... your #1 was Portola Springs, but you submitted offers in Woodbridge and West Irvine... other than price and product... what made you choose that area?

SoCal78 said:
I had to play Mad Libs to understand this. Some valuable words are missing. Trojan, don't leave us hanging - did you have to drag her out kicking and screaming?  :)

"The listing agent was doing a ________ job at postponing the courthouse foreclosure..."

Good? Piss poor?

"the wife (a divorce situation where the husband moved out) basically changed her _______ and refused to sign..."

Mind? Locks? Shoes?? :)

"... the __________ entered in court order was attached to the signed & notarized grant deed..."

?? Partridge in a pear tree? (That one might be a reading comprehension problem on my part if you mean "entered-in court order".)

Cliff-hangers abound.  :)
Filled in the gaps for you.  Kinda hard to make sure things are perfect typing it on my iPhone....let me know if I missed any other key words.  haha

irvinehomeowner said:
So you used to live in Quail Hill... your #1 was Portola Springs, but you submitted offers in Woodbridge and West Irvine... other than price and product... what made you choose that area?
Which area?  Portola Springs?  West Irvine?  Woodbridge?  The LV home was at the top of my list if I wasn't able to find a resale home that I liked.  In my mind, I think that Portola Springs has the greatest potential upside of price appreciation than any other new developments in Irvine (despite the new TI press about it) so that was also a factor in my mind.  The homes in Woodbridge that I submitted offers on were the single story ones. 

Did it look like the resident vandalized the home or just someone you'd see on the show "Hoarders". It sounds to me like she "de-staged" the house. This way it would detract buyers and not sell so she could have an extended stay at Hotel Foreclosure.

SoCal78 said:
Did it look like the resident vandalized the home or just someone you'd see on the show "Hoarders". It sounds to me like she "de-staged" the house. This way it would detract buyers and not sell so she could have an extended stay at Hotel Foreclosure.
It looked more like a home from Hoarders, the home really wasn't vandalized (no willful damage or destroy that my inspector or I saw).  Yeah, "de-staged" would be a very good way of describing how the home looked when I was getting the inspection done (I forgot to take pictures).  My mom refused to enter the home initally but after some encouragement from her boyfriend she entered.  She kept repeating the same word....DISGUSTING.  haha

irvinehomeowner said:
Sorry... I meant what eventually made you choose West Irvine (other than price/product)?
The right floor plan, the right price, good central location, and low Mello Roos.  Having no HOA, a larger lot, and a pool/spa were the icing on the cake.

USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Sorry... I meant what eventually made you choose West Irvine (other than price/product)?
The right floor plan, the right price, good central location, and low Mello Roos.  Having no HOA, a larger lot, and a pool/spa were the icing on the cake.

was the Las Ventanas plan 2 a backup if you couldnt find a resale or it was just too expensive? 

rkp said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:

was the Las Ventanas plan 2 a backup if you couldnt find a resale or it was just too expensive? 
I guess you could call it a backup home for me.  The Plan 2 was within my budget and hit the marks on my "must-have" list.  I was getting really tired of living in a 600sf TIC apartment and I have myself until the end of the summer of 2012 to move (my lease expiration date).  Luckily, I found someone on craiglists for a few bucks to take over my lease instead of having to pay a $3,000 lease break fee to TIC.

I would like to congratulate you on your purchase. But your new house has amazing combination of shortcomings that many buyers will stay away and will be hard for you to resell in the future:
1. Back to a major street such as Jamboree or Portola Parkway with a lot of noises.
2. T-section, bad feng shui.
3. Street number is a big NO for Asian buyers.

zubs said:
As a marketing tool for new clients, you just put your money where your mouth is by buying now.
The funny part is that it's true.  When I crunched the numbers, pulling the trigger on a home purchase made sense (with 20% down the home was basically at rental parity).  I intend to own the home for the longer term so I decided to pull the trigger.  For the record, I did get a 7/1 ARM loan and will be refinancing it soon to a lower rate.

NonFCB said:
I would like to congratulate you on your purchase. But your new house has amazing combination of shortcomings that many buyers will stay away and will be hard for you to resell in the future:
1. Back to a major street such as Jamboree or Portola Parkway with a lot of noises.
2. T-section, bad feng shui.
3. Street number is a big NO for Asian buyers.
I considered all of those things.  The street noise was not an issue to me (nowhere near Jamboree or Culver noise).  The home does not have a T-inspection because the house sits at an angle on the lot and has a fence and a big post in the porch area in front of it shielding it.  And I intend to own the home for a long time with plans of converting it into a rental in the future if I decide to move on to bigger and better.  Besides, the listing agent showed me the back-up offers for the home that were more than what i paid for it (two were even asian).  ;)  In fact, I would be willing to wager that I might be able to get about $75k above what I paid for the home if I tried to sell it today.  :)

Back