Trivia #37

Hey bkshopr, when you visit the Guggenheim... make sure you <a href="http://www.guggenheim.org/new-york/visit-us/map">take the elevator</a> up and stroll your way down the [strike]ramp[/strike]... err, <em>slope</em>

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1259077238]Where would you find this famous midrise building where there is no escalator, no ramps, no stairs , no elevator between floors?</blockquote>

Not going to be the Guggenheim as Mr. Wright saw fit to include one in the original design, complete with color scheme, <a href="http://www.steinerag.com/flw/Books/c1405.htm">as shown here</a>

[quote author="Nude" date=1259188595][quote author="Cameray" date=1259167404]All the spirals tipped me off. ;-)</blockquote>
I thought of it too, and then I discarded it because technically... they are one long ramp.</blockquote>

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. FWIW I thought the same thing but took the risk.

[quote author="Nude" date=1259210231][quote author="bkshopr" date=1259077238]Where would you find this famous midrise building where there is no escalator, no ramps, no stairs , no elevator between floors?</blockquote>

Not going to be the Guggenheim as Mr. Wright saw fit to include one in the original design, complete with color scheme, <a href="http://www.steinerag.com/flw/Books/c1405.htm">as shown here</a></blockquote>

The elevator and stairs were not Frank Llyod Wright's design intention. He did not like the idea of vertical circulation. For functional and egress safety reasons they were added. They are at very discreet locations hidden from the public view away from the front door and 99% of the public don't experience them and utilized mostly by staff.

Wright died 9 months later and was in poor health during the develpment phase of the museum. Many of the decisions including the elevator material selection was made by his staff at the Taliesin. He never saw its completion.

FLW during its design phase talked about the continuous flow of exhibits but did not lectured about its "utility core" of his creation.

Sorry about the minor details but the big idea was what I was after.

FLW never acknowledged the vertical components and I agree with him so I will walk up the slope and back down.

Bk, everything I've read about the design indicates that they were placed there intentionally by FLW.

<blockquote>'When asked why he chose the ramp, instead of level floors in the conventional stack, Wright explained that he felt the museum-goer would find it far more convenient to enter the building, take the elevator to the top ramp, gradually descend around an open court, always have the option, as the ramp touched the elevator stack at each level, to either go back, or skip down to further levels, and finally, at the end of the exhibition, he would find himself on the ground floor, near the exit.

<em>Bruce Brooks Pfeiffer, <strong>Frank Lloyd Wright</strong> 1991</em>

</blockquote>

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1259208422]

Any other suggestions for a NY Holiday visit.</blockquote>
Cayci and graph is where I got my list from.

One thing I wish we did was the Brooklyn visit but we just didn't have the time. The things we liked the most probably won't suit you (ie FAO Schwartz, Central Park Horse&Carriage;).

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1259219536][quote author="bkshopr" date=1259208422]

One thing I wish we did was the Brooklyn visit but we just didn't have the time. The things we liked the most probably won't suit you (ie FAO Schwartz, Central Park Horse&Carriage;).</blockquote>

I have been to Brooklyn and Prospect Park already. Both FAO and Central Park were interesting too. Did that years ago.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1259222670][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1259219536][quote author="bkshopr" date=1259208422]

One thing I wish we did was the Brooklyn visit but we just didn't have the time. The things we liked the most probably won't suit you (ie FAO Schwartz, Central Park Horse&Carriage;).</blockquote>

I have been to Brooklyn and Prospect Park already. Both FAO and Central Park were interesting too. Did that years ago.</blockquote>

On top of my list is to visit <a href="http://www.thehighline.org/">the Highline</a>, probably New York's newest park. The first half of it opened in June, more should open next year. It is 1.75 miles of elevated freight rail repurposed into a public park. Sadly, even though I visit NY regularly I never seem to be able to carve out enough daytime to visit this park.

Back