Trivia #36

bkshopr_IHB

Many 1970's shopping malls are losing their appeal. Brand name anchor department stores are not willing to commit to a 25 years lease at a neighborhood mall. Target have been moving into many 2 story spaces onced occupied by Broadway, May Co, and Robinsons.

Since Irvine is all about big box chain culture then I thought this trivia would interest more than Cameray and Joey.

Where would you find the 2 story Targets in LA/OC ? The ones adapted to former department stores do not count.

Sadly, I know the answer to this, because Cayci and I experienced our first two story Target in Chicago. Since then I wanted to know if there were any around here.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2s7hp8k.jpg

I will however refrain from giving the answer away to allow others to play. I will give a clue, IRCC, BK may have mentioned this in one of his previous posts.

finally a question I can answer. Westminster Mall, Glendale Galleria I believe and somewhere in Pasadena with horrible parking.

nevermind. I didn't read the entire question about former department stores.

ABC,

Good try but they are all mall adaptative re-use. The one in Fox Hill Culver City is also an adaptive re-use.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1259043687]Sadly, I know the answer to this, because Cayci and I experienced our first two story Target in Chicago. Since then I wanted to know if there were any around here.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2s7hp8k.jpg

I will however refrain from giving the answer away to allow others to play. I will give a clue, IRCC, BK may have mentioned this in one of his previous posts.</blockquote>

A shopping cart escalator! Is that picture from Chicago or SoCal?

There's a Bed, Bath, & Beyond in Huntington Beach (near REI) on the second floor. Entrance is from the parking lot/first floor, up an escalator. The shopping carts have their own escalator there too.

The only 2 floor Target I know of around here is in Pasadena, on Colorado Blvd. I haven't been there in years, though.

[quote author="ABC123" date=1259044776]finally a question I can answer. Westminster Mall, Glendale Galleria I believe and somewhere in Pasadena with horrible parking.

nevermind. I didn't read the entire question about former department stores.</blockquote>

Sorry.

The one in Pasadena with horrible parking was the former Robinson.

This topic is not exactly google proof if you are willing to spend the time and look at every Target in Socal with an Aerial 3D website.

Here is a clue to find them faster.

In Irvine, developer robs homeowners lot size and give it to the strip mall retails with a huge unsightly parking lot. Look for locations where the development standard is the opposite of Irvine. Big house lots but small retail pad instead.

[quote author="joeyp" date=1259045854]A shopping cart escalator! Is that picture from Chicago or SoCal?</blockquote>

That is in Chicago. I will see if Cayci can post a link to the video of the shopping cart escalator. It is pretty cool. And, from what I can tell this was a new development vs. reuse in Chicago. The entire shopping center looked brand new.

I've been to the ones on Sepulveda in Sherman Oaks and Balboa/Chatsworth in Granada Hills --- b/c my in-laws all live in the 818 and my wife and I refuse to limit our weekend Target fix just b/c we are visiting family.

There is also one on Santa Monica Blvd and La Brea --- almost right across the street from my old 90's hang out Jones Hollywood. Man, I used to love that bar.

[quote author="ABC123" date=1259046142]what about the one in eagle rock?</blockquote>

Sorry, It went into the Old May Co store in Eagle Roack Plaza where I watched the original Carrie and Looking for Mr. Goodbar

[quote author="CK" date=1259046183]I've been to the ones on Sepulveda in Sherman Oaks and Balboa/Chatsworth in Granada Hills --- b/c my in-laws all live in the 818 and my wife and I refuse to limit our weekend Target fix just b/c we are visiting family.

There is also one on Santa Monica Blvd and La Brea --- almost right across the street from my old 90's hang out Jones Hollywood. Man, I used to love that bar.</blockquote>

Impressive CK named the 2 that are not adaptive re-use. Sherman Oaks and La Brea. Are you sure you were down at Santa Monica Blvd looking for a 2 story Target? or Sepulveda looking for another one?

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1259046566][quote author="CK" date=1259046183]I've been to the ones on Sepulveda in Sherman Oaks and Balboa/Chatsworth in Granada Hills --- b/c my in-laws all live in the 818 and my wife and I refuse to limit our weekend Target fix just b/c we are visiting family.

There is also one on Santa Monica Blvd and La Brea --- almost right across the street from my old 90's hang out Jones Hollywood. Man, I used to love that bar.</blockquote>

Impressive CK named the 2 that are not adaptive re-use. Sherman Oaks and La Brea. Are you sure you were down at Santa Monica Blvd looking for a 2 story Target? or Sepulveda looking for another one?</blockquote>

Haha...Yeah, we (meaning me and my <strong>family)</strong> just rolled down Santa Monica Blvd last Saturday night --- and yes, there were some, ahem, *girls* patrolling the streetcorners. I didn't see Eddie Murphy. Every time we go to LA now we marvel at how far away we are now --- literally and figuratively.

The Target on Sepulveda in Sherman Oaks is just up the street from the great rebuild of the Sherman Oaks Galleria. We like that place, eat at the Cheesecake Factory with our extended family from time to time. Cafe Bizou is also great, we used to go there way back 10-12 years ago when we were dating. Sherman Oaks has some great homes. I wouldn't mind living there, except for the heat.

[quote author="CK" date=1259047663][quote author="bkshopr" date=1259046566][quote author="CK" date=1259046183]I've been to the ones on Sepulveda in Sherman Oaks and Balboa/Chatsworth in Granada Hills --- b/c my in-laws all live in the 818 and my wife and I refuse to limit our weekend Target fix just b/c we are visiting family.

Impressive CK named the 2 that are not adaptive re-use. Sherman Oaks and La Brea. Are you sure you were down at Santa Monica Blvd looking for a 2 story Target? or Sepulveda looking for another one?</blockquote>

Haha...Yeah, we (meaning me and my <strong>family)</strong> just rolled down Santa Monica Blvd last Saturday night --- and yes, there were some, ahem, *girls* patrolling the streetcorners. I didn't see Eddie Murphy. Every time we go to LA now we marvel at how far away we are now --- literally and figuratively.

The Target on Sepulveda in Sherman Oaks is just up the street from the great rebuild of the Sherman Oaks Galleria. We like that place, eat at the Cheesecake Factory with our extended family from time to time. Cafe Bizou is also great, we used to go there way back 10-12 years ago when we were dating. Sherman Oaks has some great homes. I wouldn't mind living there, except for the heat.</blockquote>

It opened in 2002 and was shut down for 3-1/2 years waiting for the right design solution and construction. The theatre there is great. Due to its location it does not need an anchor store to be successful. The DSW shoes there is the only one with Louboutin, Jimmy Choo and Manolo.

Your inlaws live in Porter Ranch? Do yo know about Sepulveda by the 99 Ranch?

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1259048131]

Your inlaws live in Porter Ranch? Do yo know about Sepulveda by the 99 Ranch?</blockquote>

Oh, of course. We stop to pick up duck for my wife's mom at the Sam Woo outlet from time to time. Since the Korean Galleria grocery store opened at Devonshire and Reseda a couple of years ago we spend more time there, now. I trust you are also familiar with the massive overhaul of the malls in Woodland Hills? All the requisite high end handbag stores are now well represented in the 818. Everywhere we go, there is an LV store close at hand. Good for emergencies.

We get a lot of pressure to move out there from family. A lot.

[quote author="CK" date=1259048605][quote author="bkshopr" date=1259048131]

Your inlaws live in Porter Ranch? Do yo know about Sepulveda by the 99 Ranch?</blockquote>

Oh, of course. We stop to pick up duck for my wife's mom at the Sam Woo outlet from time to time. Since the Korean Galleria grocery store opened at Devonshire and Reseda a couple of years ago we spend more time there, now. I trust you are also familiar with the massive overhaul of the malls in Woodland Hills? All the requisite high end handbag stores are now well represented in the 818. Everywhere we go, there is an LV store close at hand. Good for emergencies.

We get a lot of pressure to move out there from family. A lot.</blockquote>

I know everything in SoCal and I have been to the malls with the LV store. The Calabasa demographic just like Irvine shares a lot of similarity including racial appreciation and validation. I actually know a lot outside the Bermuda Triangle in case someday there will be a VanNuyHousingBlog.com

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1259049611]I know everything in SoCal and I have been to the malls with the LV store. The Calabasa demographic just like Irvine shares a lot of similarity including racial appreciation and validation. I actually know a lot outside the Bermuda Triangle in case someday there will be a VanNuyHousingBlog.com</blockquote>

When we do search for houses in 818 for the heck of it, the only two places we search are Calabasas and Porter Ranch. But you already knew, that --- didn't you?

[quote author="CK" date=1259049762][quote author="bkshopr" date=1259049611]I know everything in SoCal and I have been to the malls with the LV store. The Calabasa demographic just like Irvine shares a lot of similarity including racial appreciation and validation. I actually know a lot outside the Bermuda Triangle in case someday there will be a VanNuyHousingBlog.com</blockquote>

When we do search for houses in 818 for the heck of it, the only two places we search are Calabasas and Porter Ranch. But you already knew, that --- didn't you?</blockquote>

Of Course I saw your searches from 3 camera angles.

Back