Trick or Treat Anyone?

Now that is funny.

Unless you are, you know, in the country illegally... or making a living off them.

When I farmed grapes, I heard somebody say:

"Mexicans - can't legally hire them, can't pick grapes without them."

The real bite in it isn't that it's racially insensitive - it's that it's racially insensitive and it's <em>true.</em>

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1256260581]When I farmed grapes, I heard somebody say:

"Mexicans - can't legally hire them, can't pick grapes without them."

The real bite in it isn't that it's racially insensitive - it's that it's racially insensitive and it's <em>true.</em></blockquote>

On a side note: Our country was/is/always will be reflective of it's agrarian roots. For example, schools get out for summer because children were expected to help with the harvest, not because it gets hot. Also, Chicago is the center for commodities trading because it was the rail point between western farms & ranches and eastern cities. Things like this are now considered normal and customary and no one really stops to consider changing it. I wonder if, one day in the future, we'll accept as normal and customary that the path to citizenship is illegal entry and years of menial labor in between rounds of amnesty/birth of a child or that farmers need to be at least able to speak basic Spanish?

Back