Trellis Court vs Cressa for > appreciation %

paydawg

What house offers a better chance for appreciation gains after 5-7 years?  Plan 3 Trellis Court vs Plan 3 Cressa?  Trying to figure out which house makes sense for my parents to buy once they move to Irvine in the next 12 months. 

Trellis Court -
1) Detached Condo / motor court
2) Higher HOA ($252/month)
3) Lower Mello Roos ($1700/year)
4) Roughly 2,000 square feet (~ $430/sq ft after builder upgrades)
5) more central location
6) currently zoned to Irvine High School, although I can see it being rezoned to the closer Portola HS eventually

Cressa -
1) SFR w/ driveway
2) Lower HOA ($135/month)
3) Higher MR (~$4750/year)
4) Roughly 3,000 square feet (~ $400/sq ft after builder upgrades)
5) Much further from everything
6) zoned to Portola HS

paydawg said:
What house offers a better chance for appreciation gains after 5-7 years?  Plan 3 Trellis Court vs Plan 3 Cressa?  Trying to figure out which house makes sense for my parents to buy once they move to Irvine in the next 12 months. 

Trellis Court -
5) more central location
6) currently zoned to Irvine High School, although I can see it being rezoned to the closer Portola HS eventually

Cressa -
1) SFR w/ driveway
6) zoned to Portola HS

I suppose if the HS was rezoned then MR would have to go up.

irvineshadow said:
paydawg said:

Trellis Court -
5) more central location

Cressa -
1) SFR w/ driveway
6) zoned to Portola HS

I suppose if the HS was rezoned then MR would have to go up.

Agree, there is no such free-lunch with Irvine. All of the residence paying to the new HS bonds doing their parts. Difficult for me to see rezone to occur.

paydawg said:

Trellis Court -
5) more central location

Cressa -
1) SFR w/ driveway
6) zoned to Portola HS

SFR vs. detached townhome has been discussed on multiple threads. SFR will almost always appreciate more than detached townhomes. If appreciation is your goal, go with Cressa.

Mello doesn't go up on a house already sold (except the 2%) because a property gets rezoned from Irvine to a newer high school.

There are lots of homes in Northwood with NO mello zoned for Northwood High.

Even if Trellis Court appreciates more, you'll enjoy your life more in a SFR so it's worth it. 

PSIII is not too far away from things, plus you'll find a ton of good food and shopping options in Lake Forest / Foothill Ranch and it's less crowded.

BruinDoc said:
paydawg said:

Trellis Court -
5) more central location

Cressa -
1) SFR w/ driveway
6) zoned to Portola HS

SFR vs. detached townhome has been discussed on multiple threads. SFR will almost always appreciate more than detached townhomes. If appreciation is your goal, go with Cressa.

+1  SFRs will tend to hold their value better and appreciate more than detached condos.  If you can afford Cressa, then I'd recommend Cressa.

The price difference is large here, I think Trellis 3 is mid $800k and Cressa 3 is $1.2m?

Not really an apples-to-apples comparison... and lot size is probably different too.

Regardless of location, go for the SFR. Or if you are worried about location, why not an SFR in Eastwood?

Back