Toy Donation

irvine123_IHB

We are cleaning up our play room, and have gathered a bunch of toys. We have been dropping off some used toys, etc at the Goodwill truck by the I-5 and Jeffery exit.

Is there any family shelters, etc, might have the needs for those lightly used toys? I really don't know how goodwill , etc process the donations, etc. I would prefer to give it to some organizations who can use the toys right away.

[quote author="irvine123" date=1237161445]We are cleaning up our play room, and have gathered a bunch of toys. We have been dropping off some used toys, etc at the Goodwill truck by the I-5 and Jeffery exit.

Is there any family shelters, etc, might have the needs for those lightly used toys? I really don't know how goodwill , etc process the donations, etc. I would prefer to give it to some organizations who can use the toys right away.</blockquote>

I'd recommend <a href="http://www.toysfortots.org">Toys for Tots</a> You can find a list of drop-off locations and operating hours in Orange County <a href="http://www.octoysfortots.org/index.php?id=8">here.</a>

I would recommend:

<a href="http://www.ifhomeless.org/Default.aspx?mod=home">Illumination Foundation</a>

They deal with helping families get off the street, get children enrolled in school and medical care. Check it out...

www.ifhomeless.org

From their site:

<blockquote><em><strong>70% of the homeless are families with children </strong>

<strong>50% of the homeless are children under 10 </strong>

Orange County has the 2nd highest incidence of homelessness per capita in the United States

Who are the homeless? Are they stereotypical shabby, foul-smelling, mumbling beggars, or heroin addicts passed out in the alleys? Yes. But they are also young veterans with new brides who can barely get by on their earnings. They are mothers struggling to keep their jobs so that one day they can get their young children out of the parks and cold weather shelters and into adequate housing.

Where are the 16,000 homeless children, you ask? They are embedded within our community, forced to compete in life against overwhelming odds. The average Orange County resident leading his busy daily life may never realize that the family with children standing and playing next to him is homeless.

Experts on homelessness within Orange County agree that it has reached crisis proportions in our county, and that there are not enough resources designated for chronic and emergency programs. Unfortunately, the few resources that are available to these vulnerable and misunderstood people are far too difficult for most of them to access, with confusing eligibility requirements, impenetrable bureaucratic obstacles and other impediments standing between the homeless and the help they so desperately need.

It is the mission of the Illumination Foundation to effectively direct resources and services to Orange County?s homeless population. While making these resources more easily available, we will be researching and publishing our findings to help improve the services we deliver. The most basic items can improve the everyday lives of so many. Simple things like bus passes and hotel vouchers can be given to individuals in extreme crisis situations to help them find shelter for one or two nights while they convalesce from illness or injury. Books for preschoolers, book bags for school age children, rain gear and shoes are just a few of the staples needed by homeless families.

Your donations will go toward providing essentials to our homeless families. You can earmark and follow your donations. Your personal time as a volunteer will help ensure that homeless families and individuals get the help they need, when they need it. Our commitment to you is to keep you informed and updated on the homeless crisis as we partner together to improve the lives of thousands of homeless within Orange County.

The Illumination Foundation was created out of a passion for doing the right thing; born out of the desire to give a hand up to those who have found themselves without hope or means to create a conduit to a better life for themselves and their children.

Please join us as we strive to make a difference in the lives of our neighbors and revitalize the heart and overall health of our community.</em></blockquote>

<em><blockquote>

The Illumination Foundation (IF) is a grassroots organization created to help those who have lost hope a means to create a better life for themselves and their children. IF has begun to place homeless families in stabilized housing and is coordinating a wraparound program with a variety of community partners to help them begin working toward a life of independence. <for more info>

In the two months that IF?s wraparound program has been in operation, <strong>25 families, consisting of 39 adults (including 2 expectant mothers) and 51 children, have been taken off the streets and now have a place to call home</strong>. Our recent successes include:

<strong>30 children newly enrolled in public schools</strong>; many are participating in sports and other school activities.

<strong>5 children are newly enrolled in the Head Start Program</strong>

7 adults who have found new jobs

4 families are earmarked to transition into permanent housing

1 mother is expected to graduate from nursing school in a few weeks and already has secured a position with a local hospital

1 father has recently been accepted to DeVry University and will be starting school next week

Most of our families now have a medical home. Homeless families often resort to emergency rooms for medical care; establishment of a medical home decreases the financial burden on our community hospitals

We desperately need your help. Donations are critical for the continued success of our program. Every gift helps! Click for more info on IF services </blockquote></em>

Just f.y.i. - as far as I know, Toys for Tots still only accepts new toys - unless they have changed their policy.

[quote author="Girl In the OC" date=1237165239]I would recommend:

<a href="http://www.ifhomeless.org/Default.aspx?mod=home">Illumination Foundation</a>

They deal with helping families get off the street, get children enrolled in school and medical care. Check it out...

www.ifhomeless.org

From their site:

</blockquote>

I called them, and just said I have a bunch of lightly used toys I would like to donoate. I was told "it all depends on what kind of toys, and in what condition. Some of our families are kind of picky". I was like "what the heck"! I told her "never mind".

Some ideas: donate the toys to a preschool. Or, have a garage sale - sell the toys, and donate the proceeds to any charity of your choice.

Another possibility, as some charities will only take new unwrapped toys, is to give them to a teacher looking to give out "prizes" for kids that earn points for doing homework or behaving well or whatever. If they are age appropriate, could tap your kids elementary school teacher, see if they need any free "prizes".

[quote author="irvine123" date=1237274238][quote author="Girl In the OC" date=1237165239]I would recommend:

www.ifhomeless.org

From their site:

</blockquote>

I called them, and just said I have a bunch of lightly used toys I would like to donoate. I was told "it all depends on what kind of toys, and in what condition. Some of our families are kind of picky". I was like "what the heck"! I told her "never mind".</blockquote>

Wow... that really sucks... sorry about that. They came highly recommended too.

Anyways, I may be volunteering at a shelter tonight making dinner... so, I will ask if they have a need for the toys too. There are many young children at this shelter...

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1237338314]Yeah, my experience with donating toys is similar. With the various toy recalls and other issues, toy donation can be taxing to charity. In some incidents, it actually will make the charity lost time and money when they need to process/trash unusable toys and donations. Sometimes you can find toys with leaking batteries (they should remove them in the first place...) or damaged unusable toys on the shelf or given to people in need.</blockquote>

AO, you are probably right on this. I am just trying to find better use of the toys. I have decided to just drop off at goodwill truck and be done with it. Not worth my effort.

Last year, I tried to donate my $700 crib, I had the same issue. Unless you give those organizations cash, they are damn picky, and difficult to work with.

[quote author="skek" date=1237351504]From time to time if we need to give away a large item, we put it out on the curb with a sign that says "Free" on it. It's always gone by the end of the day, hopefully to someone who needs/wants it more than we did.</blockquote>

Yeah... and you give away good stuff too. Thanks for the toaster. Hey... any chance you aren't going to have a "need" for a wine fridge soon? 60+ bottle would be great. Thanks.

[quote author="skek" date=1237351504]From time to time if we need to give away a large item, we put it out on the curb with a sign that says "Free" on it. It's always gone by the end of the day, hopefully to someone who needs/wants it more than we did.</blockquote>

It would have been gone by the end of the hour if your sign read "$150."

[quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1237381701][quote author="skek" date=1237351504]From time to time if we need to give away a large item, we put it out on the curb with a sign that says "Free" on it. It's always gone by the end of the day, hopefully to someone who needs/wants it more than we did.</blockquote>

It would have been gone by the end of the hour if your sign read "$150."</blockquote>

I used to man a booth at the old gunshow at Fairplex in Pomona and I would put a dollar bill on the table with a 25 cent price tag on it. Incredibly, dozens of people would ask me about it before someone finally bought the dollar bill for 25 cents.

Back