Toll Freeways

fumbling_IHB

I've never used the toll roads in California, 241 or 261. In the east coast, they have actual manned toll booths, but I'm assuming the 241 and 261 are all electronic. How do I use them? If I just go on them will I get a ticket? What if I just go on them once or twice a year, can I pay per use?

[quote author="fumbling" date=1226845377]I've never used the toll roads in California, 241 or 261. In the east coast, they have actual manned toll booths, but I'm assuming the 241 and 261 are all electronic. How do I use them? If I just go on them will I get a ticket? What if I just go on them once or twice a year, can I pay per use?</blockquote>

Bring change. You can toss it in the buckets and you'll get the green light to go.

Windy Ridge (on fire right now) is a manned station letting OC and Riverside connect.

You will get a photo ticket if you just go on.

Also - careful with the speed on the toll roads. An inordinate number of patrols have some "easy pickings" sites on them.

can I go on any onramp and bring change, or are there only certain onramps they accept change? For the other onramps how do I pay on a per-use basis?

[quote author="fumbling" date=1226890487]can I go on any onramp and bring change, or are there only certain onramps they accept change? For the other onramps how do I pay on a per-use basis?</blockquote>

<a href="http://www.thetollroads.com/home/common_driving.htm">This</a> should answer most of your questions.

I once got lost due to bad directions and ended up down one of the Irvine toll roads. I stopped at the booth for several minutes looking for change but couldn't find any, so I took down the phone #on the sign and just drove on. Later that day I called the number and phone-mazed my way through to a real person. I explained the mistake, and they let me give them a credit card # from which to charge the toll on. Sure beat the fine I would have otherwise received.

We have Transponders but rarely use the Toll Roads any more since we moved to Irvine..

Once, we got a violation through the mail, my wife took her Car in for a service in San Juan Capistrano and drove home in a loaner, she used her transponder in it..

Anyway, I called the Toll Road People and they said the Transponder didn't match the Car - well, of course not, it was a Loaner!

They let me off the fine, but when I asked the Guy what to do in the future, he told me that next time we get a loaner/Rental Car to g online, register the Car and when we take it back, go in and register our own Car again...

To save all the hassle we don't use the Toll roads in other Cars with our transponder, we both lose, they lose money and we waste time sitting on the freeway ...

The Transponder is linked to our credit card, so why should it matter what Car we're driving?

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1226963258]They want to make sure no one going to steal the transponder.

But then, they should call the dealership, not you if their loaner go thru with your transponder. <confused></blockquote>

That's true, if someone stole it I wouldn't notice for months! I can't remember the last time I used it...

[quote author="PeterUK" date=1227026202]

That's true, if someone stole it I wouldn't notice for months! I can't remember the last time I used it...</blockquote>

You should return it then. The last I knew, they actually charge you if you don't use it for a certain amount per month.

Back