To Everything There Is A Season...

SoCal, I second trace, I'm sorry things were so hard on you.

People need to learn to be civil to each other on these internet forums.  Regardless of what you feel or think about someone, there's just some basic  things you don't do - IHO, while you say my treatment wasn't "so horrible", I doubt you'd like your personal information, including, but limited to, where you live, being blasted to the public on the internet.  No matter what kind of heated arguments you have, certain lines don't get crossed.  That's just common sense and basic decency to not do that kind of stuff (and it's a forum rule, whether written or not).  That's the adult thing to do.  Yet, that kind of crap does happen, by people who claim to be adults!  It's ironic that I get all this criticism from people who act like such kids. 
For those who don't know, personal information about myself was divulged after a poster didn't like what I had to say on the other site - he didn't have to like what I said (I didn't like what he said either), but nothing I said, and nothing I could have said, would have justified the divulgement of my personal information.

ajw522 said:
IHO, while you say my treatment wasn't "so horrible", I doubt you'd like your personal information, including, but limited to, where you live, being blasted to the public on the internet.  No matter what kind of heated arguments you have, certain lines don't get crossed.  That's just common sense and basic decency to not do that kind of stuff (and it's a forum rule, whether written or not).  That's the adult thing to do.  Yet, that kind of crap does happen, by people who claim to be adults!  It's ironic that I get all this criticism from people who act like such kids. 
For those who don't know, personal information about myself was divulged after a poster didn't like what I had to say on the other site - he didn't have to like what I said (I didn't like what he said either), but nothing I said, and nothing I could have said, would have justified the divulgement of my personal information.
See... I don't remember that here on TI... if you're talking about OCReader... remember I was on hiatus there for a length of time so that may have occurred in my absence.

But let's be clear here... I do recall that there was some misrepresentation going on here that may have spurred those actions... I'm not saying it's deserved or fair but at the same time, people don't react kindly to being misled.

irvinehomeowner said:
ajw522 said:
IHO, while you say my treatment wasn't "so horrible", I doubt you'd like your personal information, including, but limited to, where you live, being blasted to the public on the internet.  No matter what kind of heated arguments you have, certain lines don't get crossed.  That's just common sense and basic decency to not do that kind of stuff (and it's a forum rule, whether written or not).  That's the adult thing to do.  Yet, that kind of crap does happen, by people who claim to be adults!  It's ironic that I get all this criticism from people who act like such kids. 
See... I don't remember that here on TI... if you're talking about OCReader... remember I was on hiatus there for a length of time so that may have occurred in my absence.

But let's be clear here... I do recall that there was some misrepresentation going on here that may have spurred those actions... I'm not saying it's deserved or fair but at the same time, people don't react kindly to being misled.

I thought it was here on TI, but I could be mistaken.

I remember this incident, and I remember being appalled. The number one rule of any forum is that you don't publicly post people's personal information. This especially applies to someone of ajw's status.

If I'm correctly recalling the misrepresentation--it was no big deal, in my opinion--certainly not something that warranted the attack on ajw.

traceimage said:
The number one rule of any forum is that you don't publicly post people's personal information.
+1,000,00

There is a locked thread from yesterday where someone was discussing a forum member's personal life.  Thankfully, those posts have been deleted.  But I'm sure all the regulars read it and know what I'm talking about.  This type of behavior is totally inappropriate and bordering on libel.  I can't even imagine someone posting my address online.  That's criminal especially if something untoward happened to that person.  I like this forum, but there are just some posts that are unbelievably personal.  I firmly believe in freedom of speech, but maybe the moderators need to step in more often.

OCgasman said:
traceimage said:
The number one rule of any forum is that you don't publicly post people's personal information.
+1,000,00

There is a locked thread from yesterday where someone was discussing a forum member's personal life.  Thankfully, those posts have been deleted.  But I'm sure all the regulars read it and know what I'm talking about.  This type of behavior is totally inappropriate and bordering on libel.  I can't even imagine someone posting my address online.  That's criminal especially if something untoward happened to that person.  I like this forum, but there are just some posts that are unbelievably personal.  I firmly believe in freedom of speech, but maybe the moderators need to step in more often.

Excuse me, but I don't get where you're coming from at all. I know which member you are speaking of. It's not secret info. He made it public knowledge by giving an interview on the local news, no less. He wouldn't do that if he wasn't fine with everyone knowing. You are treating it like it's some kind of shameful secret he's keeping that should be swept under the rug. For all we know, maybe he finds your approach offensive, just saying. Nobody outed that person. He came forward himself.

"maybe the moderators need to step in more often"

And maybe not.

I know you've only been here for 7 weeks but the moderation team are supposed to be the members themselves, specifically the thread-starter.FAQ's

It's funny (or maybe not) when I read that thread I was thinking to myself the reason why 50% of the neighborhood wouldn't like the person might have been because he had a kid who scored in the lower percentile on a standardized test.  I never saw the video.

SoCal78 said:
Excuse me, but I don't get where you're coming from at all. I know which member you are speaking of. It's not secret info. He made it public knowledge by giving an interview on the local news, no less, and then he posted a link here on this very site displaying that newsreel so we could see it. He wouldn't do that if he wasn't fine with everyone knowing. You are treating it like it's some kind of shameful secret he's keeping that should be swept under the rug. For all we know, maybe he finds your approach offensive, just saying. Nobody outed that person. He came forward himself.

"maybe the moderators need to step in more often"

And maybe not.

I know you've only been here for 7 weeks but the moderation team are supposed to be the members themselves, specifically the thread-starter.FAQ's
Socal,
I think this website you started is amazing and a valuable tool for Irvine residents, especially the real estate section.  I enjoy reading your posts and by all accounts, you seem very rational and level headed.  But I would like to point out that said forum member didn't link the ABC interview, it was posted by someone else.  Also, I re-watched the interview and there is no mention whatsoever of any type of relationship of the homebuyers.  They could have been cousins for all we know.  Also, I don't ever recall said forum member ever discussing the intimate details of his personal life online, but I haven't re-read every single post of the forum member.  Maybe it's just me, but I found it very inappropriate to discuss a forum member's personal life online especially when the other person has never met the person being discussed.  You're right tho, my approach might be offensive to that forum member.  I'll reach out to him via pm and apologize if I was out of line.  We should probably drop this topic.

As for the moderators.  I actually thought there were moderators, never bothered to read thru the FAQ.  My mistake, all the other forum I participate in have some sort of moderation. 

traceimage said:
I thought it was here on TI, but I could be mistaken.

Your memory is correct. It took place here before we transitioned over to the new software. It may have happened on the other site in addition to that. I wouldn't know.

OCgasman said:
traceimage said:
+1,000,00

There is a locked thread from yesterday where someone was discussing a forum member's personal life.  Thankfully, those posts have been deleted.  But I'm sure all the regulars read it and know what I'm talking about. 

Wait, what? How could I have missed this? I'm on TI all the time! Personal life info and I miss it??? Just don't tell me it was IHO!

irvinehomeowner said:
I do recall that there was some misrepresentation going on here

You misrepresent yourself every day as being fat and ugly.

I misrepresent myself as pretending to care about Irvine housing.

Others misrepresent their inflated wealth. Knowledge. Their skills or service.

I wouldn't doubt everyone here alters their persona to some degree.

*Just being argumentative for no reason. Home sick in bed. Nothing good on T.V.  ;)

SoCal78 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I do recall that there was some misrepresentation going on here

You misrepresent yourself every day as being fat and ugly.
That's not exactly the same thing as misrepresenting yourself as something you are not when you are giving advice in that capacity.

For example, if I wasn't an Irvine home owner (like I've been accused of by someone) and I continued to act like I was and speak about my experience as such when it wasn't true... that is different from exaggerating (or minimizing) my physical traits.

Back