Tipping when ordering take out?

NoSoup4U

I have always wondered how/if others tip when ordering take out.  I frequently order take out where I would call in an order and then walk in the restaurant to pay with a credit card and then walk out.  I must admit, I usually do not tip so I just draw a line through the tip and total line.  I usually only tip at places where I sit down and the waiter serves me.  I sometimes sense some anger from the cashier at some places in Irvine. 
Do you guys leave tips when you pick up your take out orders?

NoSoup4U said:
I have always wondered how/if others tip when ordering take out.  I frequently order take out where I would call in an order and then walk in the restaurant to pay with a credit card and then walk out.  I must admit, I usually do not tip so I just draw a line through the tip and total line.  I usually only tip at places where I sit down and the waiter serves me.  I sometimes sense some anger from the cashier at some places in Irvine. 
Do you guys leave tips when you pick up your take out orders?
I don't tip for take out either. 

USCTrojanCPA said:

Good to know that I'm not the only one.  What about those places where you go up to the register and order/pay and then sit down where they serve the food to you?  Do you tip ahead of time at the register?

NoSoup4U said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Good to know that I'm not the only one.  What about those places where you go up to the register and order/pay and then sit down where they serve the food to you?  Do you tip ahead of time at the register?

If I'm at a restaurant where they bring me the food I will tip.  A place like MCD's where I order up front and pay and they call me to pick the up food, of course I am not going to tip  :p

I usually tip a buck for take-out. The tips still get pooled and go to the kitchen staff as well.

Same for Wahoo's

I tip for takeout at my favorite local place otherwise no tipping on takeout unless I get some special service (i.e. they give me extra bread, drinks, snacks while I wait).

homer_simpson said:
A place like MCD's where I order up front and pay and they call me to pick the up food, of course I am not going to tip  :p
So what about Carl's Jr... or any place that gives you a table number and they bring the food to you?

And how do you guys tip at buffets or Korean BBQs? The first you get your own food, the second, you get it and cook it yourself. Hmm.

For restaurants like Carls Jr, if I have to clear my food or if it's considered a fast food joint then I don't tip.

I was in Montreal and ordered takeout (they call it "take away" there) and when I paid without tipping (which is what I do here in the U.S.) they lectured me on how I should still tip for take away ... so I tipped and said in the U.S. we don't tip for take away food but I don't mind when in Rome doing what the Romans do haha.  So the custom seems to vary around the world but apparently in Canada it is customary to tip for takeout.  Also in Italy it is not customary to tip so it seems some Europeans don't tip when they eat in the U.S.

aealong said:
I was in Montreal and ordered takeout (they call it "take away" there) and when I paid without tipping (which is what I do here in the U.S.) they lectured me on how I should still tip for take away ... so I tipped and said in the U.S. we don't tip for take away food but I don't mind when in Rome doing what the Romans do haha.  So the custom seems to vary around the world but apparently in Canada it is customary to tip for takeout.  Also in Italy it is not customary to tip so it seems some Europeans don't tip when they eat in the U.S.

Would have taken my food and left with out tipping.  I would not let someone lecture me about tipping.

I try to pay with cash when I pick up my takeout, that way I don't have to feel guilty about drawing a line through the tip row... Money is tight for everyone, not just those guys.

traceimage said:
I never tip on takeout orders. The tip is for the server, so no server=no tip.
People who have worked at restaurants have told me that the tip is split among most of the staff, including cooks, busboys and even the hosts... but that depends on the place.

So I'll tip depending on where I get the takeout from but it will be more like 5-10% instead of 15-20%.

Does anyone tip at places where you order your food at a counter and then they bring it to you like Pat&Oscars, Red Brick Pizza or Jalapenos?

aquabliss said:
I try to pay with cash when I pick up my takeout, that way I don't have to feel guilty about drawing a line through the tip row... Money is tight for everyone, not just those guys.

i like this idea, i use my credit card for everything for convenience and sometimes it does feel a little weird putting zero with the person there watching you.

i am not consistent on tipping at takeout, sometimes i do, sometimes i dont.  i am influenced though by a couple of things:

- how often i get take out there
- whether it is a guy or girl
- how attractive the girl is

qwerty said:
i am not consistent on tipping at takeout, sometimes i do, sometimes i dont.  i am influenced though by a couple of things:
[...]
- how attractive the girl is
That is why my stint in food service wasn't very long... not a girl nor attractive.

Back