TIC monopoly?

Chitown

Is it just me or is there is something fundamentally wrong with that fact that new homes in Irvine are only build by "their builder" there is no true competition to tell us we are in a free true market with supply and demand basics. Is not that what is called Monopoly? Are other builders even interested and TIC is not giving them a chance or what is really going on here? the fact that there is no competition is really bothering, for example northern CA is higher/ SF but it is the reality of that market and it is a true supply and demand situation. Let me know what you think!

Chitown said:
Is it just me or is there is something fundamentally wrong with that fact that new homes in Irvine are only build by "their builder" there is no true competition to tell us we are in a free true market with supply and demand basics. Is not that what is called Monopoly? Are other builders even interested and TIC is not giving them a chance or what is really going on here? the fact that there is no competition is really bothering, for example northern CA is higher/ SF but it is the reality of that market and it is a true supply and demand situation. Let me know what you think!
I think I mentioned in another thread that someone should take a close look at the anti-trust regulations to see if TIC is crossing the line...I'd be very curious on any opinions on the subject from any lawyers on the forum.

Well there are other builders building homes with TIC, Taylor Morrison (Las Ventanas, Las Colinas), Van Daele, New home Company (Carmel) in WB, so TIC isn't the only builder.  More likely no one really like TIC's strategy/pricing right now.

shokunin, I am no expert but I think these builders were there during the boom and shortly after the bust trying to clear their books. But the current companies are mainly VP span out of TIC with these new companies since they realized that no one will touch it for a long time with their terms and the status of the real estates economy.

USCTrojanCPA, that will really be interesting to find. I think the fact that they were able to push TIC to build "affordable" housing might be a result of something on those lines.

TIC owns the land, they build house on the land and sell the land/lots ( master planned by TIC) to other builders.  It is hard to say "monoplay", better to consult attorneys.

Don't forget TIC probably owns 90% of apartment complexes in Irvine, and significant shares of commercial real estate as well.

Back