TIC apartment exit cost

ninja88

I am thinking of renting an apt from TIC and am just wondering if anyone has any thought on how TIC treat people on the way out, ie. they do charge excessively. I believe they charge you for repainting the whole place, etc. how soon do they return your deposit? also, it is possible to get a 6month lease and then month to month after that? if not, what is the typical lease break fee?

ninja88 said:
I am thinking of renting an apt from TIC and am just wondering if anyone has any thought on how TIC treat people on the way out, ie. they do charge excessively. I believe they charge you for repainting the whole place, etc. how soon do they return your deposit? also, it is possible to get a 6month lease and then month to month after that? if not, what is the typical lease break fee?
Hey Ninja, welcome to the forum.  The typical security deposit is $300 for a one-bedroom apartment (goes up from there). From my experience, I got back about 1/3 of the deposit after leaving the apartment in good condition....the charged for general clean-up, wall/paint touch-up, and steam cleaning the carpet.  TIC does not do 6-month leases and will want to do a minimum of a 12-month lease.  Going month-to-month will cost you extra, usually a 125% premium to the market rent.  The lease break-up fee is very high as well, ranging from $2,500 to $3,500.  If you need to move, you can find someone to take over your lease (I did this) by providing them a small financial incentive. 

Moved to Irvine after selling my house in San Diego 4 years ago.. Lived in an IAC apt for 3 years.  When we moved out I was charged 2200 for cleaning etc. took them to small court and won. Anyways, these guys are merciless and will charge you whatever they can so beware renting from them.
USC ..FYI..we just made an offer on LV and it was accepted.  Signing this week  Thanks for all the feedback on LV, team "talk irvine" ! 

Fire blade said:
Moved to Irvine after selling my house in San Diego 4 years ago.. Lived in an IAC apt for 3 years.  When we moved out I was charged 2200 for cleaning etc. took them to small court and won. Anyways, these guys are merciless and will charge you whatever they can so beware renting from them.
USC ..FYI..we just made an offer on LV and it was accepted.  Signing this week  Thanks for all the feedback on LV, team "talk irvine" ! 
Congrats on the upcoming purchase on the LV home.  Don't you just love John and Laura?  Which floor plan did you select?

Thanks man. We went with plan 3,  and got a great deal on upgrades, closing costs and design dollars. Plus had a friend be my designated "realtor" so I will get most of the co op back. Everything helps...
Wife liked oak creek but just couldn't handle muradian as only realtor in oak creek  Seems like he is the only one listing there and all prices are driven by him.  Plus oak creek runs parallel to 405 .. Just as portola... For what we need LV should be fine.

Fire blade said:
Thanks man. We went with plan 3,  and got a great deal on upgrades, closing costs and design dollars. Plus had a friend be my designated "realtor" so I will get most of the co op back. Everything helps...
Wife liked oak creek but just couldn't handle muradian as only realtor in oak creek  Seems like he is the only one listing there and all prices are driven by him.  Plus oak creek runs parallel to 405 .. Just as portola... For what we need LV should be fine.
Yeah, I had a handful of buyers who already closed over at LV (including a Plan 3 buyer) and enjoy living there so I'm sure you guys will too.  Nice to hear that you got a good deal and every little bit does add up.  Yeah, Muradian and his team of realtors is monopolizing Oak Creek.  haha  Let me know if you would like to have any referrals for upgrades like flooring or window coverings. 

Fire blade said:

Fire Blade - do you mind sharing what kind of deal you got on upgrades, closing costs and design dollars? I think we should start a thread on the new communities where people can post what kind of deal they got. the more knowledge that is out there the more leverage the buyers get on their side.  in any event, the reason im asking is that a buddy of mine is coming down this weekend to look at sevilla home with a driveway as well as the LV homes.  If you dont want to publicly say what you got in terms of upgrades/closing costs/design credits maybe you would not mind sending me a PM?

USC - i may have buyer for you for LV, TBD. I think he just may have started with an agent but i dont think she specializes in irvine, i believe she works in LA and he may switch realtors.

Qwerty, let me wrap it up this week and I will pm you. I just want to start escrow  before I tell the whole world..
FYI..we looked at Sevilla too..but the motor court just didn't work for us..I gave a low ball offer anyways but they rejected it...
USC , you are right, John and Laura are indeed great. ..

Fire blade said:
Qwerty, let me wrap it up this week and I will pm you. I just want to start escrow  before I tell the whole world..
FYI..we looked at Sevilla too..but the motor court just didn't work for us..I gave a low ball offer anyways but they rejected it...

Perfect. Thanks Fire Blade.

qwerty said:
Fire blade said:

Fire Blade - do you mind sharing what kind of deal you got on upgrades, closing costs and design dollars? I think we should start a thread on the new communities where people can post what kind of deal they got. the more knowledge that is out there the more leverage the buyers get on their side.  in any event, the reason im asking is that a buddy of mine is coming down this weekend to look at sevilla home with a driveway as well as the LV homes.  If you dont want to publicly say what you got in terms of upgrades/closing costs/design credits maybe you would not mind sending me a PM?

USC - i may have buyer for you for LV, TBD. I think he just may have started with an agent but i dont think she specializes in irvine, i believe she works in LA and he may switch realtors.
Cool, keep me posted.  Just tell him that those guys at LV are sticklers about coming on the first visit with an agent.

ninja88 said:

I lived in TIC apartments before buying a house. I was able to sign a 3 month lease (paid an extra $100/month) thinking I would own shortly. When i didnt end up buying, i renewed to another 6 month lease.

After moving out I got about 2/3 of the deposit back. I would have gotten the whole thing back except they charged me for carpet cleaning (even though i went out and rented a rug cleaner from Home Depot). Apparently I was supposed to tell management that I already cleaned the carpet. Oh well...

Fire blade said:
Congrats FB. I hope you enjoy Las Ventanas. I agree that the motorcourts at Sevilla just dont work well. But the few in Sevilla who got those driveways and backyards...those appear to be comparable to LV.

FWIW, when I moved out of my TIC apartment, they barely charged us anything for cleaning, and we got most of our deposit back. I was worried because I thought the place was pretty dirty, and we'd caused some damage to the walls, but they said our apartment was much better than what they usually see. Scary!

totally agree that we should have threads with pricing and what people are paying for the various communities

IHB used to have that and the main post would be updated by zovall with the latest pricing so you can see the info.  was very useful...

i am on board to help and will share the community tear sheets and pricing when ever i get them

I have left two IC apartments: one when I went from one IC apt to another bigger one, and recently when we purchased a house.  No matter what, they will charge you for the professional cleaning.  They also charged me about 35 bucks per accent wall that I didn't bother painting back, plus a steam cleaning on the carpet.  I could have contested the carpet since I had lived there longer than the expected lifespan of the carpet, but I didn't have time to bother with it. 

TIC do have six months lease for some communities. You can go the TIC rental information center on the corner of Harvard and Main for more information.
They can search all Irvine company rental communities for you. Month by month can be done after the first lease, but it is too expensive. (Normally will be 200 to 300 more on top of the current rent.)
I lived in 3 TIC communities(2 bedrooms). They charged me around 200-300 for the clean up after I moved out.

Back