This is why I'm (and most Asians) are so F***** Up!

roundcorners

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704111504576059713528698754.html

Although I still carry many wounds from my parents and this style of parenting; our family have healed recently enough for me to talk about some of the abuse that I suffered as a child?

I remembered being driving to an empty rural field on the way to school as being told to pack my things and being forced to get out of the car.  I don?t remember what I did wrong; maybe I was misbehaving or doing bad in school; but I remember crying my eyes out and begging to stay?

I can not count the number of times I was beaten with numerous objects, shovels, broom stick, rulers, and chairs; down my back, legs and shoulders? almost on a weekly or daily basis?

Being threatened to be kicked out of the family, remember holding the front door post, hanging on to dear life while my dad dragged me out the door, kicking and screaming?

Having a #2 pencil stabbed into my hands for getting a math problem wrong; I still have the black (tattoo) lead marks under my skin?

Being called, stupid, an idiot and worthless from before I can remember?

It was also during my elementary years that I would start hanging out at a classmate?s house; and being shown Christ?s love in a ?westerner?s home?; I also remembered the first time the mom went to hug me; and I shutter as I thought I was being beaten.  Neighbors in Harbor City back in the early 80s didn?t have much, but we had each other, parents who were home at a decent hour; moms who actually baked us cookies; and took us to movies.

We were safe to roam freely the different houses, Hispanic, Black and White houses.  When was the last time you saw that in Irvine?  When was the last time, you actually step foot inside your neighbors home?  When was the last time you kids stepped foot inside your neighbor?s home?  Not Clubhouse, not sidewalk, not pocket-parks, not at a restaurant, retail center...!  When was the last time you spontaneously invited a scrawny Asian boy with welt marks down his back, inside your home, baked him cookies and gave him a hug?

PS ? For all you Asian parent out there let this article be a warning?  If I even see any sliver signs of abuse; you can bet your sorry Dragon ass that I will F***** report you to child protective services.  I also encourage every other Mandate Reporter out there to be vigilant especially in lovely Irvine!

I believe that God has protected me through my entire life, from showing his love to me through a hug and finally saving our family...

I share this with you all now, because He is the only one that has recently reconcile a lot of that junk that I mentioned... My parents were harsh, but you can say they aged gracefully...

With the birth of our son, we have more recently reconcile... but first by admission of the abuse and rightful apologies...

I'm truly sorry you suffered so much abuse as a child. That is horrible, and inexcusable.

I think that bottled-up pain is what makes you now resent Asians, and Irvine.

roundcorners said:
When was the last time you spontaneously invited a scrawny Asian boy with welt marks down his back, inside your home, baked him cookies and gave him a hug?

Oh, it was quite a few years ago (minus the scrawny-ness and the welt marks)...and then I married him. They were really good cookies.

I think a portion of us over a certain age can attest to more "extreme" measures of punishment from our parents... even in the school I went to, the principle had a paddle that hanged on his wall and I think I may have been on the wrong side of it once. I doubt a paddle hangs on any wall in schools today.

Most of it is passed down through generations and only until recently has society deemed that spanking (and all other forms of physical punishment) is frowned upon.

While I don't agree with what your parents did, I know that I have been through similar situations but as I grew older, I learned to understand why things were the way they were and through that process learned to forgive and also to not repeat that pattern. Despite the physical and aural "abuse"... the why is where you learn the most. Your parents want you to behave and do well. Their standards may be too high but that's because they want more for you than they have themselves.

At least that was my takeaway... and while the extreme cases are inexcusable (as yours may have been) at least things are working out for you. But I do want to say this... you have to let the past be the past... you are an adult and you make your own fate... not your parents (unless of course you need them to gift you that down payment for an Irvine home  ;)  ).

That article almost makes me sick.  There are many Asian parents who would not accept anything but Number one from their kids.  In many cases I have seen, the Asian parent's expectations of their kids are purely unreasonable.  They all want their kids to be Number one in school and whatever they do.  They will punish the kids if they are not tops in their class.  All the while, the parents themselves were never the tops of their class themselves.  LOOK, they have your genes.  You were never in the top tier, don't torture your kids to be in the top tear if they are not meant to be!!!
It is hipocritical and just MEAN to tourture your kids if they are not capable and you yourself were never able to get there.

Hmm. Reading this was great timing while I'm helping out my kid's teacher by grading all the students' homework papers from the 95% Asian class. Maybe I'll just give them all 100%!  :-\ I've already had to mark a few wrong. I still try to put remarks like "Nice try!" (<-- You can tell I'm white!)

I'm sorry, RC. Many people have had parents that didn't have the tools to do the job expertly. Try drawing a beautiful painting with a wire whisk. Impossible. You need the right tools.  When we know better, we do better. Forgive your parents.

RC, forgive your parents.. that was a different time, a different ideal behind their actions.

A few days ago, my mother was talking to me about disciplinary issues I had with my daughter. My mother asked me to take it easy, slow down let the kid enjoy and went on to tell me how she let me have a life when I was in school. I had told my mother "You have no idea what I am up against here"... Thanks Amy! Now the world knows how hard it is for an Irvine mom surrounded by Amy Chua's to let the kid enjoy the precious time without responsibilities.

Thank you for letting me know that I am not alone in this. I was treated similarly, yet not half as bad. My parents still kicked me out of the house for some nights and stuff. But since I started high school, things have changed a little. My parents seemed to have mellowed out. I hope your issues with your parents are resolved too. Good luck!

PS: I have noticed that the new gen of asian kids are just flat out spoiled. Have you noticed that? It makes me so jealous.

-Ophidian

All I remember from my childhood was being beaten by a bamboo stick and kneeling on a durian because I got a B+ in 3rd grade... yep.. gotten straight A's ever since then. 

Will not be putting my kids through that emotional and physical stress/abuse I endured..

Sorry to hear about your rough childhood roundcorners.. #iknowthefeelz

Homer_Simpson said:
All I remember from my childhood was being beaten by a bamboo stick and kneeling on a durian because I got a B+ in 3rd grade...
I deny all these allegations.

#NoInstagramNoProof

Let's be clear - shiatty parenting isn't common to any particular race or income strata.

Sorry about your pain and hope some good comes from opening up about it.

Homer_Simpson said:
All I remember from my childhood was being beaten by a bamboo stick and kneeling on a durian because I got a B+ in 3rd grade... yep.. gotten straight A's ever since then. 

Well, I guess it worked!

If your parents had been lenient, you'd be signing off here on TI with #UCI instead of #FARM.

Raising children is one of the most challenging duties, and unfortunately, most parents are ill-prepared for it. Parenting ends up being a on-the-job training kind of situation. By the time the kids have turned adults is when parents have gained enough wisdom to be better parents, but it's too late by then. That's why you seen grandparents trying to influence their adult kids parenting. But at that time it's their kids who are now in the drivers seat and the cycle continues.

Homer_Simpson said:

Will not be putting my kids through that emotional and physical stress/abuse I endured..

Sorry to hear about your rough childhood roundcorners.. #iknowthefeelz

Did the abuse help you get accepted by Stanford?

Did the abuse help me get into Stanford?  I believe it played a factor but a lot of my friends in my childhood were also disciplined in similar fashion but ended up in a crappy college and now a crappy job. 

But seriously, I have such bad memories of my childhood.  Constant pressure, yelling, screaming and beatings.. I could honestly say I didn't have a fun childhood. 

As a parent now; I do not want that for my children.  I want my kids to have fun, enjoy life BEING A KID!! Of course I'm going to push them to achieve/strive for the best but not at the cost of them being miserable or physically assaulted  ;)

where do  you guys / gals draw the line from letting them be a kid to spoiling them? I have a hard time. I feel like sometimes the message doesn't get across or there is not urgency if I'm not acting like a lunatic.

Irvine Fanatic said:
where do  you guys / gals draw the line from letting them be a kid to spoiling them? I have a hard time. I feel like sometimes the message doesn't get across or there is not urgency if I'm not acting like a lunatic.

Maybe you should buy some durian the next time you're at 99 Ranch.

Ophidian said:
Thank you for letting me know that I am not alone in this. I was treated similarly, yet not half as bad. My parents still kicked me out of the house for some nights and stuff. But since I started high school, things have changed a little. My parents seemed to have mellowed out. I hope your issues with your parents are resolved too. Good luck!

PS: I have noticed that the new gen of asian kids are just flat out spoiled. Have you noticed that? It makes me so jealous.

-Ophidian

Welcome to TI!

Why is your first post on a thread from January 2011? Do you know RC?

Also interesting screen name. Ophidian -- a snake

Back