The Wedge

IrvineRealtor_IHB

Decent video coverage (and sound) of the recent surge in surf in Irvine's back yard.

A couple of items to note:

The crisscross of the surfer and bodyboarder at about 1:30 was remarkable.

El Hombre con "stand-up paddleboard" cerca de 3:45 tiene huevos grandes.

<object width="325" height="250"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/youtube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="325" height="250"></embed></object>

I came close to the big IHB in the sky at the Wedge ages ago.

The lifeguards even came out to us because they thought we were drowning... we just got drawn out too far and were having a hard time making it back (that's what I get by trying to go bodysurfing there without fins).

I heard something crazy like Newport lifeguards made over 400 rescues this weekend??? That sounds insane!

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1248695555]I came close to the big IHB in the sky at the Wedge ages ago.

The lifeguards even came out to us because they thought we were drowning... we just got drawn out too far and were having a hard time making it back (that's what I get by trying to go bodysurfing there without fins).</blockquote>

Was this a <strong>big</strong> day like the vid deuce posted? If so... 1. You are dumber than a FCBer paying cash in this market. and... 2. If it was a big day like this, the next time I make fun of you for having fear of being in DT LA or taking your kids to Rodeo drive, then you better bring this up. I have been out at the wedge to bodyboard a few times when it was overhead, but when it was more than double overhead I watched the morons cheat death.

The last time I was down there when it was this big (a day much like the vid shows, happens about every 15 years), I saw a guy come out with his arm so dislocated that it was like someone had put his arm on backwards by how his elbow was 180 degrees turned around and facing the complete opposite direction. Then there was the bodysurfer who ate it, and came out with blood gushing from his cracked skull.

I fear eating it in two breaks: 1. A reef break that will rip your suit and scratch your back with the pain of coral bacteria that makes you cry like a little girl. 2. The velocity and force of a sand break like the wedge. It will pummel you into the soft wet sand that will make it feel like you are being penetrated into a 10 foot thick slab of granite.

You know it is a big day at the wedge when you are walking up to the beach, and you are still four blocks away and you feel the ground shaking and vibrating like an earthquake (you can feel it inside your car while you drive around to find parking)... only getting more intense as you approach the actual beach. So much fun to watch. Everyone should take their kids there when it is like this, to scare the crap out of them in what they should never... ever do. Nothing like a cracked skull for the true effect of the situation.

Don't think it was a big day... but the Wedge is always dicey when it comes to bodysurfing (not body*boarding*... just body*surfing*... remember... I'm all about man vs. nature).

I hear you about the sand break... I've been rolled at Redondo Beach a ton of times... the worse was getting caught up on the lip, looking down and seeing the water shallow out, because you know when you hit... it's going to be sand not water you're pounding into. I sprained my wrist trying to break the wipeout on that one.

I've retired from bodysurfing... that last time I did it was at some black sand beach in Hawaii. Nowadays I would like I'm whalesurfing and the last thing I need is a harpoon in my back.

[quote author="ohnelly" date=1248699510]I heard something crazy like Newport lifeguards made over 400 rescues this weekend??? That sounds insane!</blockquote>

Yup, 381 on Friday alone.

Back