The truth: Im not sure where this belongs but Im going to start here...

GraceOMalley_IHB

As some of you know I am married to bkshpr. He is my husband, my best friend and without a question, the love of my life. We live in Floral Park, In Santa Ana. We moved here from Irvine, probably primarily because I am from LA and because I found Irvine to be such a Stepford type of community.

He is amazing at what he does, without exaggeration he is probably within the top 5 best in the country. I adore him. There is no question there. And he is a much more likable personality wise than I am. I am extremely straight forward, Im not a genius, but he is. I am just a normal person and think the world of my husband. Do not let that be a question. I am of average intelligence but he is extraordinary.

A week ago I did a search for sex offenders in my area and what I found was that there is a motel 4/5 of a mile away from me that housed 5 convicted sex offenders currently under probation for crimes against children under the age of 14. . I want them gone. I spoke to the police who said that they were very happy to have them in the same location, but I do not want them in my area, anywhere that they can cause danger to kids. And i will keep fighting for them to live somewhere else. The policeman said that if someone sneezes in floral park they know if it. And thats fine, but hundreds of children walk home in front of this motel daily and I do not want to see a single one of them dealing with this issue.

I will not under any circumstances apologize for my beliefs here. I think its wrong for kids to live in a world where pedophilia is an issue that they have to deal with.

If the sex offenders dont live in your neighbor (and the kids in your neighborhood) - then that just means they will live in another neighborhood with someone elses kids. Unfortunately they have to live somewhere. I dont blame you for how you feel. I wouldnt want them near me either, but like i said they have to live somewhere, and wherever that is, there are going to be little kids nearby.

[quote author="qwerty" date=1223034252]If the sex offenders dont live in your neighbor (and the kids in your neighborhood) - then that just means they will live in another neighborhood with someone elses kids. Unfortunately they have to live somewhere. I dont blame you for how you feel. I wouldnt want them near me either, but like i said they have to live somewhere, and wherever that is, there are going to be little kids nearby.</blockquote>

fine then let them live in your neighborhood and see how welcome it is.

From what I have read, pedophiles have more often than not reverted back to being pedophiles even after treatment. They should not be exposed near children. These sick people should be put away for life.

most of them have a history of NOT RESPONDING TO TREATMENT. YET we have to deal with them as pedophiles for the rest of their natural lives.

Part of the problem is that with ever increasing restrictions on where pedophiles live (i.e. not near schools, parks etc...) there are fewer lawful locations for them. I know most people could care less but it then becomes a practical problem. If you give them no place to live then they will go underground and they will not register and you can't track them. Of course if you force them to wear an ankle GPS unit for the rest of their life it may help a little. Again they could remove the devices and you will have no way of tracking them. No easy solutions here.

[quote author="ventouxbob" date=1223038344]- if you cannot get the pedophiles to move perhaps you can move? is there a place you know of with less sex offenders?</blockquote>

let me guess nancybotwin's response to this - "why should i move, he is the sex offender" as if her right to live there is greater than the sex offender's - just another case of NIMBY. Like i said, i wouldnt want them near me either, but they have to live somewhere.

[quote author="NancyBotwin" date=1223033674]As some of you know I am married to bkshpr. He is my husband, my best friend and without a question, the love of my life. We live in Floral Park, In Santa Ana. We moved here from Irvine, probably primarily because I am from LA and because I found Irvine to be such a Stepford type of community.

He is amazing at what he does, without exaggeration he is probably within the top 5 best in the country. I adore him. There is no question there. And he is a much more likable personality wise than I am. I am extremely straight forward, Im not a genius, but he is. I am just a normal person and think the world of my husband. Do not let that be a question. I am of average intelligence but he is extraordinary.

A week ago I did a search for sex offenders in my area and what I found was that there is a motel 4/5 of a mile away from me that housed 5 convicted sex offenders currently under probation for crimes against children under the age of 14. . I want them gone. I spoke to the police who said that they were very happy to have them in the same location, but I do not want them in my area, anywhere that they can cause danger to kids. And i will keep fighting for them to live somewhere else. The policeman said that if someone sneezes in floral park they know if it. And thats fine, but hundreds of children walk home in front of this motel daily and I do not want to see a single one of them dealing with this issue.

I will not under any circumstances apologize for my beliefs here. I do not think its wrong for kids to live in a world where pedophilia is not an issue.

Best

</blockquote>

I did a bit of investigation:

http://www.city-data.com/so/so-Irvine-California.html City data is a good place to look. I did a small search. my info is from city data.

Santa Ana 223 sex offenders ratio of 1 sex offender per 1529 people

Encinitas (my town) 8 Sex offenders ratio of 1 to 7443

Irvine(a special place)- 16 sex offenders ratio of 1 to 11716.

Santa Ana has a very bad Ratio of sex offenders to population You should consider moving. Do you Rent?

well I hope this helps.

According to our research of the Alaska and other state lists there were 63 registered sex offenders living in Wasilla in early 2007.

The ratio of number of residents in Wasilla to the number of sex offenders is 135 to 1.

-Wow!! way to clean up the town Mayor Pit Bull. thats scary.

As much as I empathize with people trying to keep their neghborhood safe, we have to draw a line somewhere on this issue or else we will quickly destroy our justice system. Once a convicted criminal has served their sentence and/or been released from parole (or probation), their debt to society has been paid. We cannot make them pariahs forever without trampling over their civil rights. While their crimes may be horrific, we do not treat murderers, drug dealers, or armed robbers in this way. I understand the desire to protect women and children from a class of criminal that has a high recidivism rate, but once they have finished their sentence we cannot hound them into hiding, or cast them out of society, or shame them into suicide. Again, I understand the revulsion and outrage and fear. Yet, I think posting their information for public awareness is as far ( and possibly farther) than we should allow ourselves to go, as a society. Actively campaigning for their forced removal from neighborhoods was not the intent of the law.

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1223037187][quote author="NancyBotwin" date=1223033674]As some of you know I am married to bkshpr. He is my husband, my best friend and without a question, the love of my life. We live in Floral Park, In Santa Ana. We moved here from Irvine, probably primarily because I am from LA and because I found Irvine to be such a Stepford type of community.

I will not under any circumstances apologize for my beliefs here. I do not think its wrong for kids to live in a world where pedophilia is not an issue.

Best

JK</blockquote>

I am confused.... why you started your discussion with what a wonder fellow your husband is, then go on to issue with pedos in your neighborhood? I think I maybe a bit too analytical at times... ;)</blockquote>

Me too. I think you are a Cantonese female from Hong Kong. You spent your childhood years there and attended secondary schools and university here.

Like most newbie on this blog most of the posts were ignored and overlooked. Some newbies were discouraged from posting because they immediately felt some form of rejection when other members immediately flame them on some posts. She is trying to make a sincere formal introduction ( holding a white flag). I think other members felt the sincerity and reciprocated by responding to her post with good manner and constructive responses.

I like to take this opportunity to encourage those who has been lurking for a while and are afraid to post to join in. Mrs. BK like many of you has to endure the newbie ritual.

[quote author="Nude" date=1223041554]As much as I empathize with people trying to keep their neghborhood safe, we have to draw a line somewhere on this issue or else we will quickly destroy our justice system. Once a convicted criminal has served their sentence and/or been released from parole (or probation), their debt to society has been paid. We cannot make them pariahs forever without trampling over their civil rights. While their crimes may be horrific, we do not treat murderers, drug dealers, or armed robbers in this way. I understand the desire to protect women and children from a class of criminal that has a high recidivism rate, but once they have finished their sentence we cannot hound them into hiding, or cast them out of society, or shame them into suicide. Again, I understand the revulsion and outrage and fear. Yet, I think posting their information for public awareness is as far ( and possibly farther) than we should allow ourselves to go, as a society. Actively campaigning for their forced removal from neighborhoods was not the intent of the law.</blockquote>

Anyone still on parole from their crimes has not "completed their debt to society" It is against the law for 1. them to congregate in a residential area. 2. in an area this close to children. Taxpayers pay a subsidy to the owner of said properties because they are willing to rent to these people.

For claritys sake, according to the city, the motel is zoned a a commercial building but falls within residential law meaning that more than 5 are not allowed to live there at the same time. The building is not zoned as a halfway house or residential treatment facility. I do however have to take it up with the county if I want to pursue the issue and have this seedy dump closed down. Unlike this forum, the police and the city have been very supportive of the efforts to make my neighborhood a safer place for children.

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1223037187][quote author="NancyBotwin" date=1223033674]As some of you know I am married to bkshpr. He is my husband, my best friend and without a question, the love of my life. We live in Floral Park, In Santa Ana. We moved here from Irvine, probably primarily because I am from LA and because I found Irvine to be such a Stepford type of community.

Best

JK</blockquote>

I am confused.... why you started your discussion with what a wonder fellow your husband is, then go on to issue with pedos in your neighborhood? I think I maybe a bit too analytical at times... ;)</blockquote>

You guys are tough and not really welcoming to people who are new here. But whatever. I started that way because I am just a regular person while I know that BK is well respected in this forum.

I was wondering what you thought of the info I uncoverd for you regarding sex offenders and the relative ratio of there prevalence in a few towns?

http://www.city-data.com/so/so-Irvine-California.htmlCity data is a good place to look. I did a small search. my info is from city data.

Santa Ana has a very bad Ratio of sex offenders to population You should consider moving. Do you Rent?

well I hope this helps.

According to our research of the Alaska and other state lists there were 63 registered sex offenders living in Wasilla in early 2007.

The ratio of number of residents in Wasilla to the number of sex offenders is 135 to 1.

[ Edited: 03 October 2008 07:12 AM by zovall ]

Good post Nancy. I don't think you have anything to apologize for at all. That is great that you are looking out for the kids and other people in the community. That is what we need - someone who cares and is keeping a watchful eye. I wish there were more people like that. You know what they say - it takes a village to raise a child. (This got me wondering what ever happened to Neighborhood Watch programs - maybe I'll have to Google that one.)

Btw just wondering if this motel is at least 2,000 feet from the school?

Chill out people, didn't you see 20-20.

Anyone having sex with a 14 year old is a sex offender, that means that 16 and 17 year olds who are having sex with their peers (even 14 year old peers who are consenting and lying about their age at parties) are treated the same as 40 year olds who prey on kids. 20-20 had a case of a 16 year old boy who had to register as a sex offender even though he later married the 14 y/o and is no threat to society and not a pedophile and has kids.

I'll bet most of the sex offenders are just kids. kids had sex back in my high school days too but back then it was just statutory rape and you didn't turn into a "sex offender" for the rest of your life.

The label is seriously broken.

[quote author="alan" date=1223071026]Chill out people, didn't you see 20-20.

Anyone having sex with a 14 year old is a sex offender, that means that 16 and 17 year olds who are having sex with their peers (even 14 year old peers who are consenting and lying about their age at parties) are treated the same as 40 year olds who prey on kids. 20-20 had a case of a 16 year old boy who had to register as a sex offender even though he later married the 14 y/o and is no threat to society and not a pedophile and has kids.

I'll bet most of the sex offenders are just kids. kids had sex back in my high school days too but back then it was just statutory rape and you didn't turn into a "sex offender" for the rest of your life.

The label is seriously broken.</blockquote>

The Date of Birth of the sex offenders is listed. so one could look this up and review the registered offenders.

There is no need to speculate. The data is right there.

[quote author="ventouxbob" date=1223070039]I was wondering what you thought of the info I uncoverd for you regarding sex offenders and the relative ratio of there prevalence in a few towns?

http://www.city-data.com/so/so-Irvine-California.htmlCity data is a good place to look. I did a small search. my info is from city data.

well I hope this helps.

[ Edited: 03 October 2008 07:12 AM by zovall ]</blockquote>

I do not rent and I will not move. Id rather make an investment in my community than give it over to elements that are detrimental to our society. I appreciate the data you provided. I also know from having lived in irvine that it doesnt get to be "a special place" by chance. And I hardly found it to be the utopia that it appears on the surface.

I appreciate your data and will do some search on my own.

Thanks

[quote author="NancyBotwin" date=1223053211][quote author="Nude" date=1223041554]As much as I empathize with people trying to keep their neghborhood safe, we have to draw a line somewhere on this issue or else we will quickly destroy our justice system. Once a convicted criminal has served their sentence and/or been released from parole (or probation), their debt to society has been paid. We cannot make them pariahs forever without trampling over their civil rights. While their crimes may be horrific, we do not treat murderers, drug dealers, or armed robbers in this way. I understand the desire to protect women and children from a class of criminal that has a high recidivism rate, but once they have finished their sentence we cannot hound them into hiding, or cast them out of society, or shame them into suicide. Again, I understand the revulsion and outrage and fear. Yet, I think posting their information for public awareness is as far ( and possibly farther) than we should allow ourselves to go, as a society. Actively campaigning for their forced removal from neighborhoods was not the intent of the law.</blockquote>

Anyone still on parole from their crimes has not "completed their debt to society" It is against the law for 1. them to congregate in a residential area. 2. in an area this close to children. Taxpayers pay a subsidy to the owner of said properties because they are willing to rent to these people.

For claritys sake, according to the city, the motel is zoned a a commercial building but falls within residential law meaning that more than 5 are not allowed to live there at the same time. The building is not zoned as a halfway house or residential treatment facility. I do however have to take it up with the country if I want to pursue the issue and have this seedy dump closed down. Unlike this forum, the police and the city have been very supportive of the efforts to make my neighborhood a safer place for children.</blockquote>

Nancy, if you were looking for 100% agreement, I am afraid you have come to the wrong place. Not because of the topic, but because each of us has different experience and opinions based upon the different things we have experienced and learned. For example, there is a thread somewhere around here on coffee and another one on coffee makers. Although non emotional topics, there were still lots of different opinions.

As for the topic itself, I am unaware of any law that forbids multiple sex offenders from renting in the same area. Do you have the code section for that? I would be curious to see it. Are you aware of <a href="http://www.dmh.ca.gov/Services_and_Programs/Forensic_Services/Sex_Offender_Commitment_Program/FAQs.asp">California' Sexually Violent Predator law? </a> You might find the reading helpful.

I am sorry to hear that you were surprised about your neighborhood.

Back