The return of light rail?

Kangen.Irvine

It's been close to ten years since Irvine residents chose to avoid light rail options, but as our city rapidly expands it might be worth exploring once again. Perhaps starting slowly with light rail linking the colleges within the city, the business districts and the entertainment shopping centers? Links to Lake Forest and Tustin might raise sales tax revenue for Irvine too.

The problem isn't what to link... it's where to run the light rail.

Any 'hood you try to run it through, they will veto it.

I remember way back it was supposed to run along the 405 near Woodbridge but it got voted down.

Not going to happen through Irvine. Only northern OC is "ghetto" enough for buses and trains.

Wasn't part of the master plan.

Although it may still be early enough for ocgp... Transit to work for pp/BP to Broadcom for some may sound nice

irvinehomeowner said:
The problem isn't what to link... it's where to run the light rail.

Any 'hood you try to run it through, they will veto it.

I remember way back it was supposed to run along the 405 near Woodbridge but it got voted down.

Freaking selfish Woodbridgers. We should take away roads too so that they'd have to get in and out by boat.

Light rail is not going to be economically sustainable without denser development. I don't really see denser development coming to Irvine.

Don't get me wrong--as an occasional Metrolink rider and someone who likes taking Metro in LA, I would love to have light rail. But I am realistic about why it wouldn't be economical given TIC/Pereira's master plan.

Maybe in 20 years, gas will quadruple in price, the Jamboree corridor will get denser, and we'll see a route from Marketplace-Tustin Metrolink-Diamond Jamboree-Park Place-JWA-Newport Center (Fashion Island). This line will either be super slow, because it is at grade, or people will sue the hell out of it because its elevated guideway will block someone's view.

The only realistic plan I've seen for rail in OC is the Santa Ana Streetcar from their train station to DTSA, and even then, that thing is going to be slow as all hell. Boring.
edit: and Anaheim between ARTIC and Disneyland, but that's really for tourists

I'd be happy if they just utilize the existing train infrastructure more.  As is I cannot take the train to work because it doesn't get me to work on time.  If they'd add an earlier train it would help.

momopi said:
I'd be happy if they just utilize the existing train infrastructure more.  As is I cannot take the train to work because it doesn't get me to work on time.  If they'd add an earlier train it would help.

Do you live in Irvine and commute to downtown LA? There are plenty of early trains.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the reverse commute.

HMart said:
momopi said:

Do you live in Irvine and commute to downtown LA? There are plenty of early trains.

Not if you work trader hours

bones said:
HMart said:
momopi said:

Eh? There's a train arriving as early to Union as 5:28a.

HMart said:
momopi said:

FYI If you get the Metrolink monthly pass, you can ride for free the Amtrak.

HMart said:
momopi said:

No.  I live in Cerritos area and commute to Irvine for work.  In the morning the earliest metrolink arrival time to Irvine Station is 7:54AM.  If I take the train, I can't even get to work by 8AM.  I have meetings to run 4 days out of the week starting at 7AM-8AM.

bones said:
HMart said:
momopi said:

If you worked trader hours, there is very little traffic at 4AM-5AM.

I used to work 5AM-2PM back in Summer 2009 in Lake Forest.  It was great.  I'd drive to Laguna Beach after work, get a burger or couple tacos and bum off by the beach with my kindle.

yaliu07 said:
Move to Irvine?

If they built a nice cemetery park and trap/skeet range in Irvine, I would seriously consider moving back.  My tenants in Irvine would be upset for booting them though.  :(

momopi said:
HMart said:
momopi said:

No.  I live in Cerritos area and commute to Irvine for work.  In the morning the earliest metrolink arrival time to Irvine Station is 7:54AM.  If I take the train, I can't even get to work by 8AM.  I have meetings to run 4 days out of the week starting at 7AM-8AM.

The LA to OC train is definitely not efficient...I guess it's about supply and demand.  Also, the potential high speed rail may moot the discussion.

I would love to have a tram going to John Wayne Airport though.

momopi said:
HMart said:
momopi said:

It's not practical to take the train if you live in Cerritos. Really the best option is to hope that toll lanes go into effect on the 405 (just like the 110 HOT lanes) and then pay money to save time.

Personally I am looking forward to that change (soon I will be commuting from Long Beach to Irvine).

HMart said:
momopi said:
HMart said:
momopi said:

It's not practical to take the train if you live in Cerritos. Really the best option is to hope that toll lanes go into effect on the 405 (just like the 110 HOT lanes) and then pay money to save time.

Personally I am looking forward to that change (soon I will be commuting from Long Beach to Irvine).

If you live in the NE Cerritos or SW Norwalk, it's only ~10 mins to Norwalk/Santa Fe metrolink station by surface streets.  But there's no early (or earlier) train that fits my schedule.

Back