The Real Paramilitary SWAT Trucks of Orange County

locolocal

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...military-swat-trucks-of-orange-county/283832/
The quarter-million-dollar vehicles are available to police in four suburban cities, including Irvine, which ranks as the safest city in America.

How safe is Irvine, California? Last year, it had the lowest violent-crime rate of any city with more than 100,000 people?a title it has claimed for nine straight years. Its population is roughly 230,000, yet there are typically just two murders per annum. If the UC Irvine mascot escaped its cage and started roaming city streets, only local ants would hide. The most feared figure from Irvine? Ezra Klein.

Irvine is that safe. Yet some years ago, the city bought a military-style, nine-ton, $283,000 armor-plated truck. It has gun ports in the walls. There's a rotating turret on top. Federal counterterrorism dollars funded the purchase. Money well spent?

I was also curious why IPD needs such a vehicle in the allegedly safe city. Also, it would be great to know how often and why it's used (if ever). Another question to our city council and Mr. Mayor?

I read the OC Reg article about this, I think it said they haven't even used it once.

It would come handy in a Zombocalypse though.

General Dynamics & the congressional reps from Ohio opposed the shutting down of the M1 Abrams tank factory in Lima Ohio even though the US army said they don't need anymore tanks. 

I'm sure this Irvine armor plated truck has the same condition.  It's unneeded, but it creates jobs.

When you think of foreign aid to Israel or some other country, think about how Americans will lose their jobs if we end it.

So this unneeded Irvine "tank" and foreign aid are creating US jobs, and kind of serves a purpose.  I wonder when we are going to beat swords back into plow-shares.

zubs said:
General Dynamics & the congressional reps from Ohio opposed the shutting down of the M1 Abrams tank factory in Lima Ohio even though the US army said they don't need anymore tanks. 

I'm sure this Irvine armor plated truck has the same condition.  It's unneeded, but it creates jobs.

When you think of foreign aid to Israel or some other country, think about how Americans will lose their jobs if we end it.

So this unneeded Irvine "tank" and foreign aid are creating US jobs, and kind of serves a purpose.  I wonder when we are going to beat swords back into plow-shares.

unfortunately this is all to common in the DOD world, way too many unnecessary programs that stay alive when they arent needed. welfare at its finest.  the problem is these jobs are paid for by taxpayer money and the debt keeps going up as a result. one day it will all come tumbling down.

Thankfully the city is able to offset some of the costs by leasing the vehicle to the Woodbridge Village Association during the summer months.  WVA uses it to beef up their patrols of the common areas to keep the terrorist youths from throwing the patio furniture into the pools ;)

Doesnt it really go hand in hand with Newport Beach's 'recruitment' video?  IMHO, people really need to start waking up to the culture issue that is taking hold in police departments around the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=w_rKA6ROAVk

Back