The Real Fried Chicken Thread

fumbling said:
Texas had places you could get fried chicken livers, anyone know if those are available anywhere in Socal?

Call Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles and check to see if it's still on the menu.

You can also try calling Katella Deli in Los Alamitos.  It may or may not be avail on the menu or from Deli section of store.

Liver is not really a popular menu item around here.  I recall 20 years ago many Italian restaurants still served it -- Angelo D'Vinci's and Mulberry Street in Fullerton had them back then.  If memory serves Mulberry St served chicken liver pasta back then, which I was not fond of.  Those dishes got removed with menu updates.

So finally tried The Crack Shack a few weeks ago.

It was ok. Overpriced for what you get. My kid prefers Ralph's fried chicken for much less money.

WTTCHMN said:

Yeah... I thought of you when we were there. Sauces were good.

It's just that we were in the area (went to the Spirit Halloween store because the one in Irvine didn't have an costume my kid wanted).

BTW: Also got donuts at Sidecar Donuts (very close to The Crack Shack)... also very overpriced but the Huckleberry donut is awesome.

irvinehomeowner said:
I think my kid is right, Ralphs and Albertsons is the best bang for the buck when it comes to fried chicken.

Stater Brothers has great fried chicken...better than either Ralphs or Alberstons for about the same costs IIRC.

Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I think my kid is right, Ralphs and Albertsons is the best bang for the buck when it comes to fried chicken.

Stater Brothers has great fried chicken...better than either Ralphs or Alberstons for about the same costs IIRC.

At the Stater Bros by Columbus Grove in Tustin?

lnc said:
My co-worker waited 2 hrs for that Howlin' Ray's chicken and he said it's worth it but pretty spicy.

It's just kind of odd that they opened it in the middle of China Town.  Maybe its time to visit China Town again, haven't been there over 2 decades. 

My friend was telling me about Howlin' Ray's....I think he went to the one in Pasadena (not sure).  He said that you can order your chicken at different degrees of spiciness but that wait was 1.5hrs+.  I don't know if I'm getting old but I don't have the patience for wait 1.5hrs+ at a restaurant for food.  Even when I went to Austin, I paid someone from Task Rabbit to get BBQ from La BBQ and bring it to the track....well worth it.

Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I've actually compared all 3, for some reason, the Stater Bros chicken I had tasted a bit off... maybe the oil they used was old. Other times it's been pretty good but I don't think there is a measurable difference between the 3.

There's an Albertsons in Corona near the Rauhagge shooting range, had the best fried chicken I ever had. Then I tried various other Albertsons over the years for the fried chicken but was never the same and the last time at the Trabuco/Jeffrey Albertsons, had food poisoning. 

Revisited Furai Chicken in Zion Market in Northwood. I tried their wings and they were pretty good. Better than regular chicken meal in my opinion. Try the garlic soy sauce. Pretty bomb.

Netperx said:
Mety, you have to get the number 8. That is their specialty - assuming you like spicy.
Kang Jung Furai Chicken.

I don't like too much spicy, but I'm sure they can make it mild. Will try!

Might be a good time to revive this as I see Dave's Hot Chicken and BBQ Chicken places popping up all over.

I don't really get the appeal of Dave's Hot Chicken... overpriced and not better than Raising Cane's.

BBQ Chicken I still like... and the newer ones have a seasoned fries and cole slaw that is good.

The Korean fried chicken place in the new HMart is okay... but not as good as BBQ Chicken in my opinion.

Fire Wings is actually decent... they have a large variety of sides which I like... they still don't have tenders or chili back on the menu yet.

Roscoe's has tenders and chicken sandwich now (I just went there recently)... but their chicken and waffles is still the best.

I also tried out Bred Chicken in the Anti-Mall and they also have waffles (since Bruxies is gone).

I think it's over a decade since I've had Mutt Lynch's pterodactyl wings. Are they still as good as I remember or is my memory clouded by alcohol and summer beach attire?

At corner of Orangethrope and Brookhurst in Fullerton is Ariang Korean Supermarket ("A.R. Mart"). Compared to H-Mart this place looks kind of run-down. Inside to the left you will find the food court area, with Choy's Golden Rice Flour crispy Korean fried chicken.

As a personal preference I like their "golden rice fried chicken". The address is 1701 W Orangethorpe Ave, Fullerton CA. If you're going to make the trip, you can also visit the Source OC at corner of Beach and Orangethrope:

Up the street on Beach Blvd is Eight Korean BBQ that specialize in pork belly:

I think BB.Q Chicken in Northpark is really great. Their lunch portion is very generous and I love their sauces. My only note is everything is tamed down spiceyness. If you order something with a litlte spice you taste nothing. If you order something spicy it's mild spicy. But, still really good. I'm not craving mouth on fire hotness so it works for me now that I know to order their spicey stuff.

Back