The next mortgage crisis...Prime Borrowers?

optimusprime_IHB

Read this piece on slate this morning....this could get truly ugly w/the non-recourse law in CA.

<a href="http://www.slate.com/id/2188982/">http://www.slate.com/id/2188982/</a>

moneybox

Here Comes the Next Mortgage Crisis

Subprime was just the beginning. Wait until California's prime borrowers start handing their keys to the bank.

By Mark Gimein

Posted Tuesday, April 15, 2008, at 8:12 AM ET

California is to mortgage lending what Chicago is to pork bellies. For years, that meant it was a place with soaring house values; today, the foreclosure rate across the state is twice the national average and going up fast. Riverside County, outside Los Angeles, may be the foreclosure capital of the country, with a rate close to six times the national average. And housing prices are in freefall.

California should be the poster child for a mortgage-loan bailout. In few other places have so many taken on such onerous debts with so little equity. Unfortunately, the crisis in California is going to get much worse, and there is no bailout that will solve it. Why? Because if the first stage of the foreclosure crisis was about people who could not afford their mortgages, the next stage will be about people who have every reason not even to try to pay their mortgages.

Over the next several months, we're going to be subjected to a chorus of hand-wringing about the moral turpitude of people who walk away from their mortgages and pronouncements like last month's warning from Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson that people should honor their mortgage obligations. The problem with finger-wagging on what you "should" or "ought" to do is that, when it comes to money, you're usually given the lecture only when it's in your interest to do the opposite. Certainly, that's the case for all the California homeowners who in the next year or two are going to find themselves with the choice of whether, faced with a huge new wave of interest resets and a historic decline in the value of their homes, they will simply walk away.

First, those home prices: For a weird few months of the mortgage crisis, statisticians came up with peculiar numbers about home values, rolling out comforting stats showing single-digit declines. Well, that's over.

Last month, the California Realtors' association (folks who in October managed to "project" that prices would fall 4 percent in 2008) reported that, actually, California house prices in February fell 26 percent from a year ago. In the places where the foreclosure boom has hit hardest, it's worse.

A quick, almost random survey of some foreclosure prices in Southern and Central California:

* In San Bernardino, a house bought for $310,000 in 2005 is now being offered by the bank for $199,900.

* A 2,000-square-foot ranch house in Rancho Santa Margarita is down from $775,000 to $565,000.

* A starter home in Sacramento, sold for $215,000 in 2004, is now down to $129,900.

These are not sale prices. They are asking prices. Don't doubt that they are negotiable.

Unfortunately, when it comes to the California crash, these striking numbers are not the end. They are the beginning. (To give Paulson his due, he said that, too.) Which brings us to the other scary part of the California story: a coming wave of interest-rate resets in prime loans given to people with good credit that are just as bad, or worse, than we've seen in subprime.

The most common subprime loans were known as "2/28" in the industry: 30 years, including a two-year teaser rate before the interest rate rose. Now these loans have reset, and we're seeing the fallout.

Yes,

I fall exactly in this catagory.

My wife and I have perfect credit.

About a year and a half ago we took out a 5 year interest only loan to buy a new house.

Now the loan is worth more than what our house is worth.

I still have 3 years to see what happens.

I will not be able to refinance since I now have no equity in the house

But if the loan resets I will not be able to afford the payments.

At least I have some time and hope the housing market rebounds

Boom,

take this time to scrip/save/beg/borrow your way to paying down the loan. OR ....

Speaking as a minor property owner...

I would rent the house out for a 1-3 years and depreciate the living daylights out of it.... BUT in doing this you must

"stay the course" and not blow the money the usual things. There are ways out, but its a long haul and you must make

some sacrifies to make it work.

-bix

[quote author="boomben" date=1208388315]Yes,

About a year and a half ago we took out a 5 year interest only loan to buy a new house.

At least I have some time and hope the housing market rebounds</blockquote>

Boom, in 3 years you will be more under water than you are today most likely. The market has a minimum another 10% to fall, more likely 20-40% more, and isn't going to somehow skyrocket the next 12-18 months after it bottoms. You need to consider exit strategy if you won't be able to afford the reset... If things are that tight, I doubt there is anyway you can pay down the mortgage significantly over the course of the next few years right? If you wait and the market moves as we expect, you'll be a short or have to walk.

You could unload that place now and preserve your credit. You're in VoC right? This issue was exactly one of the ones that kept me out of VoC. I figured too many people buying there in 2006 and even 2007 would be facing resets in 3 to 5 years and having to give up their properties. I didn't want my value to be decimated by those comps...

Boomben -

I am curious whan you started frequenting the Irvine Housing Blog. Eg., after you saw your particular home situation becoming difficult, did you start searhcing the web for resources and possible solutions? Or perhaps you heard of it by word of mouth? I am just curious about what factors motiviate people to find this site...

Sounds like you are in a difficult position - but it is a good cautionary tale for those of us still looking to buy.

[quote author="boomben" date=1208388315]Yes,

At least I have some time and hope the housing market rebounds</blockquote>

Boomben,

I am sorry to hear about your situation. I want you to understand why prices will not rebound: it is because of people in situations like yours. There are many, many of ticking time-bomb loans just like yours. They all have fuses of different lengths. As each one of them blows up, the owner will be forced to sell. All of those sales are inventory that ordinarily would not be on the market. The cumulative effect of all this inventory is going to be lower prices. Any increase in prices will be met with more inventory from people, just like yourself, that might be at a lower entry price point hoping to get out at even. If the ARM reset problem did not exist, there might be a very small chance of another bubble bringing prices back up enough to get you to even by the time you need to refinance. Unfortunately, your situation is all too common, and it is all of those homeowners who have lower entry price points or shorter fuses on their time-bomb loans that are going to depress prices so you don't get back to even.

You have time to consider your options, but none of them are good. IMO, the best you can do is end the pain quickly and start over. You can spend the next 3.5 years making crushing payments and have no spending money before facing foreclosure, or you can get the pain over with quickly and reduce you housing costs significantly in a rental. Waiting and hoping will only lead to distress and despair.

This article is correct... option ARM and IO ARM resets will be 100000x more damaging than the subprime problems.

Resets that go to double, triple, or quadruple payments (minimums) during a time when people owe more than their homes are worth (no chance of refinancing or selling) = Almost a total loss of all homes in this category to foreclosure.

Fortunately, this only accounts for 90% of the homeowners in southern OC. :p

IR, can we get an :abomb: icon? I think it would be useful!

Master

[quote author="Masterofdamoney" date=1208405946]IR, can we get an :abomb: icon? I think it would be useful!</blockquote>

I like that idea. I will see what I can do. I had a post this week about a seller whose 2/28 blew up in February. I imagine I will find more.

I am not trying to make a joke of your situation, boomben, but trying to find humor in the dark side of life can be therapeutic.

[quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1208408684][quote author="Masterofdamoney" date=1208405946]IR, can we get an :abomb: icon? I think it would be useful!</blockquote>

I like that idea. I will see what I can do. I had a post this week about a seller whose 2/28 blew up in February. I imagine I will find more.

I am not trying to make a joke of your situation, boomben, but trying to find humor in the dark side of life can be therapeutic.</blockquote>

<----- which is why I chose Upshot "Ivy Mike"... although its not an abomb, its a Hbomb! Soon we'll have antiproton "kicked" h-bombs! Whoo-hoo antimatter reactions.... kinda like SoCal housing...complete annihilation! FTW!

-bix

I started to look at this website when I wanted to buy in VOC.

This site had great info about all the new housing projects

I ended up buying on the Tustin side.

I still look at this site weekly.

I would really like to know how many borrowers fit boomben's profile, i.e. prime borrowers who have (crushing) resets in 3 or more years in LA/OC. I'll bet many of these borrows think the market will correct itself by their reset time or maybe aren't even aware/concerned of the impending precipice. After all, they are "prime borrowers" and this is a "subprime problem."

If the herd gets spooked all at once, then we've got SERIOUS problems. I think one of the government/Fed Chair's goal over the next few years is calming the herd with such soothing opiates as announcing bail out plans every month or so. Keep 'em calm cowboy.

"Get along little doggies, little doggies, little doggies..."

[quote author="Major Schadenfreude" date=1208416718]I would really like to know how many borrowers fit boomben's profile, i.e. prime borrowers who have (crushing) resets in 3 or more years in LA/OC. I'll bet many of these borrows think the market will correct itself by their reset time or maybe aren't even aware/concerned of the impending precipice. After all, they are "prime borrowers" and this is a "subprime problem."

If the herd gets spooked all at once, then we've got SERIOUS problems. I think one of the government/Fed Chair's goal over the next few years is calming the herd with such soothing opiates as announcing bail out plans every month or so. Keep 'em calm cowboy.

"Get along little doggies, little doggies, little doggies..."</blockquote>

People don't like to admit they made mistakes. People like boom will likely just wait, hope, and pray and deal with the problem when they have to vs. acknowledging it early and nipping it in the bud.

[quote author="boomben" date=1208412572]I started to look at this website when I wanted to buy in VOC.

This site had great info about all the new housing projects

I ended up buying on the Tustin side.

I still look at this site weekly.</blockquote>

You mean you found the IHB <u>BEFORE</u> you bought your house, and you went a bought one anyways!?

First, <a href="http://mortgage.freedomblogging.com/2008/04/16/ocs-coming-wave-of-prime-foreclosures/">hat tip to Matt Padilla for linking the story and pointing out the reference to IHB</a>. Check out my comment there too, it makes thoughtless, well... look thoughtless.

Second, er nevermind. I can't find the mortgage magma blog post I did. Zovall... help please!

[quote author="graphrix" date=1208450587]First, <a href="http://mortgage.freedomblogging.com/2008/04/16/ocs-coming-wave-of-prime-foreclosures/">hat tip to Matt Padilla for linking the story and pointing out the reference to IHB</a>. Check out my comment there too, it makes thoughtless, well... look thoughtless.

Second, er nevermind. I can't find the mortgage magma blog post I did. Zovall... help please!</blockquote><a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/blog/comments/mortgage-magma-the-coming-eruption-of-option-arms/">mortgage magma the coming eruption of option-arms</a>

The search function works just fine, sucka!

[quote author="Nude" date=1208450777][quote author="graphrix" date=1208450587]First, <a href="http://mortgage.freedomblogging.com/2008/04/16/ocs-coming-wave-of-prime-foreclosures/">hat tip to Matt Padilla for linking the story and pointing out the reference to IHB</a>. Check out my comment there too, it makes thoughtless, well... look thoughtless.

Second, er nevermind. I can't find the mortgage magma blog post I did. Zovall... help please!</blockquote><a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/blog/comments/mortgage-magma-the-coming-eruption-of-option-arms/">mortgage magma the coming eruption of option-arms</a>

The search function works just fine, sucka!</blockquote>

Search Cop welcomes you to the force. :coolsmirk:

Truthiness should change her handle to BatShitCrazyofOCRE or Denial in Turtle Rock (or where ever her flip went bad at). She's fully over the edge now, as opposed to before, where she was just dillusional.

Or, another way.

Dude, girlfriend fliped yo.

Truthiness/Thoughtful has completely lost her mind. She is actually an interesting case study in the dynamics of denial. The shrill rants are covering fear and frustration. She actually seems to believe she can talk the market higher. We reach many times the readers she does, and I doubt we have any real market impact.

Back