The Good Life ? Woodbury 2010 Commercial

In conducting their marketing research, TIC stated that they ?asked everyday people to tell us what would make a home hold greater personal value.?

I?ve watched the commercial for the new <a href="http://www.villagesofirvine.com/NewHomeCollection/commercials.aspx">Woodbury 2010 collection</a> about 15 times now? hey what else can I do on a Halloween night when you have a 9 month old! It?s been a while since I posted a ?meaningful? thread; I?ve felt I?ve said all I needed to say about Irvine, housing and the relationships within that house, but still this commercial elicited something very deep within.

On the surface; overall, I do have to say that TIC conveys a very powerful simple emotional message. The marketing campaign works very well on various levels to sell houses. The brief images of a factious family gathering, sitting around the great room, kitchen, California room and backyard; all evokes the ideal good life. That if you buy their new house you too can have the life you always dreamed of...

The good life, which TIC perpetuates very well in all their marketing material, is what drives a lot of people to buy their houses. Like any good marketer, they tell a good subliminal story. It says ?buy our product and you?ll obtain your desired relationships.? The huge difference between say; deodorant, a TV or even a BMW is that most of those items do not cost nearly as much as a house.

I?ll just call you an idiot if you think that buying a $20 deodorant will make some random hottie jump all over you; but it?s just sad to see couples plunk down $800k, for a house, thinking that it?ll enhance and ultimately save their marriage.

Let?s start with the first character; let?s call him Grandpa. It doesn?t matter what kind of house you own. If you have a healthy relationship with your kids they will want to come visit you whether you live in master plan community or not. If your kids hate you, say because of past abuse, no matter how nice your home is, they are not going to visit you!

The question I have for Grandma, is, what ever happened to holidays before the invention of Great Rooms? Families have been getting along for decades before great rooms came into existence. Again, if there is tension, past emotional junk (which every family has, and no-body ever deals with it) who wants to all hang out together?

The Asian daughter in law; alright good luck pulling your kids away from their ipods, cell phones and PS3s to have a meaningful conversation while you try to prepare dinner; while hubby is still at work trying to pay the mortgage. Having a kitchen that opens up to the living area doesn?t automatically foster quality time and genuine relationships. Quality times come from simply, dying to your self, dropping what you are doing and simply focusing everything on your kids. Quality time comes from simply being present and spending a lot of time together, it is not being distracted by multitasking; you will never know when the time becomes quality time until you had it.

The Dad; ok so, who doesn?t want good schools; and a safe place to play?

So, in the other scenes? First, who entertains in Irvine? How many times a year? If you haven?t taken my taken my <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5221/">hosting poll </a>now is your time. Do you really need a house that big to host just eight people? I can recall fitting about 15 people comfortably in an old apartment in Long Beach all the time. Again you don?t need a Great Room to have authentic gatherings; but you do need genuine relationships. Relationships where you care for one another, know each other?s stories and wounds; share burdens, trials and triumphs.

Buying and affording a house in difficult; but building a home is equally difficult. Just don?t believe that buying a house you will automatically have a home. A lot of people confused the two. You can make a home anywhere, master planned or not, large, small, renting or owning. All it matters are the relationships, the people the connectedness that happens when people live in close proximity to one another. A house will always just be a house, sure it might have cool features, but it will never be a home without the relationships.

I personally don't like the great room concept with the forced fostering of togetherness. If I'm watching tv, I don't want to hear people making noise in the kitchen and other times if I'm in the kitchen, I don't want to hear noise blaring from the tv.

Also, I hope this idyllic family has enough money left over to hire a house cleaner because that kitchen is going to get filthy with people going in and out of the "california" room.

I start and end at the price range...They are still about $100K too high...(hope that someone does an analysis in the blog section)

The One bedroom plan (1000 sq ft) starts at 300K...seriously...300K? Assuming a $300K mortgage at 5 percent interest (30 years)...that comes out to about $1600 not factoring in HOAs, Mello Roos, and taxes. Rental for a 2 bd in a IAC apartment about that much.

The "average" home (3 bd, 2.5 baths, 2300 sq. ft) is priced in the mid-$700...that means about a $4000+ payment (not counting MR, HOA, and Property taxes)...where is the market for that?

Floor plans and designs are great but they mean nothing if no one can afford them.

BTW: Shouldn't this post be in the Irvine Real Estate section?

Reminds me of the Video for the Astoria Towers where they just forget to mention or show the 405 Freeway

that happens to be right out your window.

Here they dont mention that your neighbors home is all of 20 feet from both walls. Or that backyard shot

you will be right up against your neighbors tiny open space with yours. 85% of the lot will be house.

<a href="http://www.villagesofirvine.com/NewHomeCollection/montecito.aspx">http://www.villagesofirvine.com/NewHomeCollection/montecito.aspx</a>

Todays new gimmick. A big room to justify a WTF price.

And FYI. TV above the Fireplace is a no no. You will get a sore neck looking above eye level

and the heat does not help the Big Screen. Cables can be a big isssue too. Silly details.

I don't know how many Irvine Co. commercials are currently running. An Irvine Co. commercial played about 10 times during the past week or two on channels that I was surfing, but I don't remember anything about the commercial -- not one thing. If the intent of the commercial, at least in part, is to attract non-Irvine residents, then the commercial that I "saw" has been wasted on me. I've watched the commercial only long enough to take notice that an Irvine Company commercial was on. Other than that, it did not capture my (undiagnosed ADD) attention.

Back