The Forum needs more members and more traffic

usctrojancpa

As you guys can see, there isn't much activity on the forum and things can be very slow on given days. How long was it before IHB got a decent amount of traffic and members? Is there any thing/s we can do to drive up traffic count to TI?

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA"]As you guys can see, there isn't much activity on the forum and things can be very slow on given days. How long was it before IHB got a decent amount of traffic and members? Is there any thing/s we can do to drive up traffic count to TI?[/quote]

How about some freebie giveaways to the top daily poster? <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D --> Maybe a Peet's Coffee gift certificate or a TI t-shirt?

I've been pretty busy with work lately and still trying to get my last minute shopping done. Only 5 more shopping days left.

First of all, IHB was always dead on the weekends. It's not surprising that a forum that spun off of IHB would be slow on weekends as well.

Secondly, there are only two ways to increase traffic in the forum. Increased traffic has to come from some combination of increased activity from existing users and/or introduction of new users.

With Christmas approaching quickly, it's probably not reasonable to expect increased activity from existing users until after the new years. But it probably wouldn't hurt for the community to discuss ways to increase activity. (Given the dominance of housing and economy related topics that this community discusses, it's probably not terribly surprising that being stuck in a "muddle through" economy can sap energy from people after a while. Personally I always love to discuss both politics and economics (and the intersection between the two), but I appear to be out of the mainstream in this area)

Attracting new users is another challenging area. With the feeder system from IHB now being dead, long term viability of the forum is dependent upon getting an alternate feeder system in place. (The subject of the "Death of an Internet Forum" thread I started earlier) I don't know if anyone has bothered to look at how popular IHB is/was, but I pulled some numbers from Alexa.com. When this site started, IHB was ranked something like #10,300 in the US. Given the amount of competition from other websites, that's not bad. Long term, there has to be a feeder system. PeterUK has started a bicycling blog. I don't know if others are interested in doing something similar. (But I do know that between my regular job and work I am doing on a piece of software that I hope to turn into a business I lack time to do something similar) But ultimately success of this forum will be dependent on some magnet to attract people into the forums. (On a related note, the www.talkirvine.com domain name probably should point towards the magnet(s) instead of the forum. With the existing setup, the forum is the magnet, not the blog(s). Personal experience leads me to believe that this is not likely to succeed. People are more likely to be drawn into a passive experience like reading a blog than an active experience like posting in a forum. A certain percentage of people drawn into the passive activity will eventually be drawn into the active activity)

Finally, I think it would be unreasonable to expect the owners of this forum to finance any kind of giveaways. This isn't a commercial enterprise, and they are giving away an inordinant amount of time as is. Simply put, the success or failure of this community is going to depend on the community.

Spread the word guys. Mention Talk Irvine like you used to mention IHB to others before (I am sure many of you would have done that, because I did several times).

I signed up Dear Husband yesterday. He hasn't posted yet. So, yes, family members and friends, age 18 and up are good targets;-)

It's time for some form of guerrilla marketing... little half postcards, word of mouth, stickers, email signatures, ... where are all the MBA here?

[quote author="roundcorners"]It's time for some form of guerrilla marketing... little half postcards, word of mouth, stickers, email signatures, ... where are all the MBA here?[/quote]

Chartpron - It's for all ages...
back-1.jpg

talkirvine.com
front-1.jpg

-IR2

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA"]As you guys can see, there isn't much activity on the forum and things can be very slow on given days. How long was it before IHB got a decent amount of traffic and members? Is there any thing/s we can do to drive up traffic count to TI?[/quote]

I can't answer your question but this is probably the slow season for most Forums...everyone is out shopping 'n' stuff I guess...

[quote author="peteruk"]I'm glad Hubby joined Cz...where's is his first post? *waiting*[/quote]

He is still to post. I can bring the horse to water, but can't make the horse drink water:-(
*probably needs some nagging*

[quote author="IrvineRealtor"]I'm just hoping that his username is not "FeS2." ::)

[/quote]

LOL! One fake in the house is good enough;-)

how is the S.E.O. what is it? Search Engine Optimization coming along? I remember, if I google Cachette in Woodbury, my thread would come up top 2-3 or something...

@Deuce, re: onesies - Ho, ho, ho. You sleigh me!

Back when we were at T.S.T.S.N.B.N., I contacted the folks at the city of Irvine and asked if we (they) could have a mention of the forums added to their site. They sent their regrets. Otherwise, I would try that now. I think anyone visiting their site may like a place for discussion.

Just an observation, I think the IHB forums began to change after Larry revealed his identity. Perhaps part of the attraction to the IHB was the mystique about who the owner was.

Back