The FCBs have reached my neighborhood

daedalus

Kind of like killer bees, the migration of FCBs is continuing northward at a measured pace.  I just saw the first evidence of them in my 'hood, which is squarely in LA county.  A house that recently sold closed a little below list, with a bunch of 8s in the sale price.  And if that isn't convincing enough to reach the same conclusion, the buyer's agent is 168 Realty, out of Rowland Heights. 

Maybe this is an isolated incident.  Maybe the house hunters got on the wrong bus or off at the wrong airport.  I suspect, though, that it's a sign of things to come.  And honestly, I don't like it.  I like chatting with my neighbors, talking shop in their garages, having lunches and dinners with them, token gifts at Christmas, barbeques and block parties, all that good stuff.  If the FCBs are game for that, I'll happily welcome them.  But based on what I've read and seen, they'll likely be shuttered in their homes, avoiding eye contact with their neighbors trying to say hello.  Some neighbors are like that already.  Not FCBs, but it sucks all the same.  In this town most people will say hello when you pass them on the street.  I don't want that to change.

If it's for investment or parking their assets, you may not even see them for months on end.

AW said:
If it's for investment or parking their assets, you may not even see them for months on end.

Which is fine but comply with CC&Rs and do your landscape. And while they're at it, maybe run the sprinklers and hire a gardener so the yard doesn't like death is about to settle in.

What happens if it's not part of a community that has Hoa, no cc&r to comply,... Maybe these fcb investors are learning...

daedalus said:
Kind of like killer bees, the migration of FCBs is continuing northward at a measured pace.  I just saw the first evidence of them in my 'hood, which is squarely in LA county.  A house that recently sold closed a little below list, with a bunch of 8s in the sale price.  And if that isn't convincing enough to reach the same conclusion, the buyer's agent is 168 Realty, out of Rowland Heights. 

Maybe this is an isolated incident.  Maybe the house hunters got on the wrong bus or off at the wrong airport.  I suspect, though, that it's a sign of things to come.  And honestly, I don't like it.  I like chatting with my neighbors, talking shop in their garages, having lunches and dinners with them, token gifts at Christmas, barbeques and block parties, all that good stuff.  If the FCBs are game for that, I'll happily welcome them.  But based on what I've read and seen, they'll likely be shuttered in their homes, avoiding eye contact with their neighbors trying to say hello.  Some neighbors are like that already.  Not FCBs, but it sucks all the same.  In this town most people will say hello when you pass them on the street.  I don't want that to change.

What towns are you referring to ? IR? LA?

Back