The Current U.S. Recession and the Risks of a Systemic Financial Crisis

IrvineRenter_IHB

<p class="MsoNormal"><a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/roubini022608.pdf">The Current U.S. Recession and the Risks of a Systemic Financial Crisis</a> </p>

<p class="MsoNormal"> </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">by Nouriel Roubini </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">Professor of Economics at the Stern School of Business, New York University and Chairman of RGE Monitor (<a href="http://www.rgemonitor.com/"><strong>www.rgemonitor.com</strong></a>) </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">Written Testimony for the House of Representatives’ Financial Services Committee Hearing on February 26th, 2008 </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">A vicious circle is currently underway in the United States, and its reach could broaden to the global economy. America’s financial crisis has triggered a severe credit crunch that is making the U.S. recession worse, while the deepening recession is leading to larger losses in financial markets, thus undermining the wider economy. There is now a serious risk of a systemic meltdown in US financial markets as huge credit and asset bubbles collapse.</p>

<p class="MsoNormal"> At this point the debate in the U.S. is no longer about soft landing versus hard landing (recession); it is rather on how hard the hard landing will be. An analysis of the macro data published in recent weeks suggests that the economy has already entered into a recession in December 2007. So the question now is whether this recession is going to be relatively short and shallow (lasting two quarters in Q1 and Q2 of 2008 as several analysts suggest) or much longer, deeper and more protracted (four to six quarters). </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">The fact that the US is now in a recession is, at this point, without much doubt even if the consensus forecast – always behind the curve – now gives only even odds (49% according to the WSJ panel of forecasters, 50% according to the Bloomberg panel) to a recession outcome. The latest data point to a severe recession ahead lasting at least four quarters rather than mild recession that most forecasters are now predicting: a fall in employment in January; very high and elevated levels of initial and continued unemployment claims; a non-manufacturing ISM that literally plunged; the Philly Fed report and other forward looking indicators being in recession territory; falling – in real term – retail sales in the holiday season; mediocre results and falling sales for most retailers in January; plunging auto sales; very weak and further falling consumer confidence; a credit crunch that is becoming more severe in credit market as measured by a variety of credit spreads; the beginning of a severe recession in commercial real estate; a worsening housing recession; sharply falling home prices; evidence of a serious credit crunch in the banking system based on the Fed survey of loan officers; a correction in all major stock markets and the beginning of a bear market in the NASDAQ; serious evidence of a global economic slowdown, especially in Europe, with outright recession ahead in some European countries. All these indicators points towards a severe recession. </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">It is not very likely that - as some forecasters now do – this will be a mild two-quarter recession and that growth will recover in H2 of 2008. The last two U.S. recessions in 1990-91 and 2001 lasted 8 months each. The current recession will last much longer and will be more severe for three reasons: </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">1. We are experiencing the worst U.S. housing recession since the Great Depression and this housing recession is nowhere near bottoming out. Home prices will eventually fall – relative to their 2006 peak – by 20% to 30%. They have already fallen by almost 8% based on the Case-Shiller/S&P index. </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">2. The U.S. consumer is shopped out, saving-less and debt burdened and now buffeted by oil prices close to $100 a barrel, a weakening labor market, weak income generation, falling consumer confidence, falling home values, falling home equity withdrawals, high debt, rising debt servicing ratios, a severe credit crunch and a sharp correction in the stock market that will turn into a bear market once the recession becomes deeper. </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">3. The U.S. financial system and credit markets are experiencing their most severe crisis since the early 1980s. The problems are now not limited any longer to subprime mortgages but spreading across the whole spectrum of credit and financial markets. </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">Let us consider in more detail this third point. Currently the problems in financial markets are no longer merely sub-prime mortgages, but rather a whole “sub-prime” financial system. The housing recession – the worst in U.S. history and worsening every day – will eventually see house prices fall by more than 20 percent, with millions of Americans losing their homes and/or walking away from them as they have negative equity in them. </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">Delinquencies, defaults, and foreclosures are now spreading from sub-prime to near-prime and prime mortgages. Thus, total losses on mortgage-related instruments – include exotic credit derivatives such as collateralized debt obligations (CDOs) – will add up to more than $400 billion. </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">Moreover, commercial real estate is beginning to follow the downward trend in residential real estate. After all, who wants to build offices, stores, and shopping centers in the empty ghost towns that litter the American West? </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">In addition to the downturn in real estate, a broader bubble in consumer credit is now collapsing: as the US economy slips into recession, defaults on credit cards, auto loans,and student loans will increase sharply. US consumers are shopped-out, savings-less, and debt-burdened. With private consumption representing more than 70 percent of aggregate US demand, cutbacks in household spending will deepen the recession. </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">We can also add to these financial risks the massive problems of bond insurers that guaranteed many of the risky securitization products such as CDOs. A very likely downgrade of these insurers’ credit ratings will force banks and financial institutions that hold these risky assets to write them down, adding another $150 billion to the financial system’s mounting losses. </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">Then there is the exposure of banks and other financial institutions to rising losses on loans that financed reckless leveraged buy-outs (LBOs). With a worsening recession, many LBOs that were loaded with too much debt and not enough equity will fail as firms with lower profits or higher losses become unable to service their loans. </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">Given all this, the recession will lead to a sharp increase in corporate defaults, which had been very low over the last two years, averaging 0.6 percent per year, compared to an historic average of 3.8 percent. During a typical recession, the default rate among corporations may rise to 10-15 percent, threatening massive losses for those holding risky corporate bonds. </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">As a result, the market for credit default swaps (CDS) – where protection against corporate defaults is bought and sold – may also experience massive losses. In that case, there will also be a serious risk that some firms that sold protection will go bankrupt, triggering further losses for buyers of protection when their counterparties cannot pay.</p>

<p class="MsoNormal">On top of all this, there is a shadow financial system of non-bank financial institutions that, like banks, borrow short and liquid and lend to or invest in longer-term and illiquid assets. This shadow system includes structured investment vehicles (SIVs), conduits, money market funds, hedge funds, and investment banks. Like banks, all these financial institutions are subject to liquidity or rollover risk – the risk of going belly up if their creditors do not rollover their short-term credit lines. But, unlike banks, they do not have the safety net implied by central banks’ role as lender of last resort. </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">Now that a recession is underway, US and global stock markets are beginning to fall: in a typical US recession, the S&P 500 index falls by an average of 28 percent as corporate revenues and profits sink. Losses in stock markets have a double effect: they reduce households’ wealth and lead them to spend less; and they cause massive losses to investors who borrowed to invest in stock, thus triggering margin calls and asset fire sales. </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">There is thus a broader risk that many leveraged investors in both equity and credit markets will be forced to sell illiquid assets in illiquid markets, leading to a cascading fall in asset prices to below their fundamental values. The ensuing losses will aggravate the financial turmoil and economic contraction. </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">Indeed, adding up all these losses in financial markets, the sum will hit a staggering $1 trillion. Tighter credit rationing will then further hamper the ability of households and firms to borrow, spend, invest, and sustain economic growth. The risk that a systemic financial crisis will drive a more pronounced US and global recession has quickly gone from being a theoretical possibility to becoming an increasingly plausible scenario. </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">Let me elaborate now in more detail on three important issues: </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">1. Why there is now the risk of a systemic financial crisis. </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">2. Why the Federal Reserve and other financial policy makers may not be able to prevent this systemic crisis </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">3. How a worsening housing recession may lead 10 to 20 million households into negative equity territory and induce them to default on their mortgages and walk away from their homes.</p>

I found the end to be particularly foreboding:

"What will be the consequence of losses of over $1 trillion and, possibly, as high as $2 trillion? <strong>That would wipe out most of the capital of most of the US banking system and lead most of US banks and mortgage lenders – that are massively exposed to real estate – to go belly up</strong>. You would then have a systemic banking crisis of proportions that would be several orders of magnitude larger than the S&L crisis, a crisis that ended up with a fiscal bailout cost of over $120 billion dollars. And the worrisome part of this scenario is that – with home prices likely to fall by 20% or more – this scenario of systemic banking crisis is becoming increasingly likely."

Naw, that's the first place I'd look if I was rummaging through your house.

Use your old college textbooks like this:

http://ueba.net/hosted_pages/Safe-Book

If the financial system collapse, your cash won't be worth anything. Precious metals will be valuable but only if you can find people who will barter for them. The best barter currency might be trade goods and tools, like boxes of nails, hand tools, medicine, preserved food with long shelf life, etc.

Good article:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/duffy110.html

I need to do some research on my own, but did anyone get a good estimate of the amount of derivatives out in the market? Losses of over $1 trillion sound... conservative.

I have been slowly trying to wrap my head around this, the more I do, the scarier it seems to get...

I ran across this graph, and admittedly don't quite know what to make of it, but it definitely CAN'T be good...

<a href="http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/BOGNONBR?rid=19">

Non-Borrowed Reserves of Depository Institutions</a>

WINEX, no, you shouldn't store anything under your mattress or the bed.

If you're looking for places in the house to conceal stuff, read the Anarchist Cookbook. It has some good tips on where to conceal things.

Also, between hand tools and nails, I'd probably lean toward hand tools as being more valuable for bartering.

What I find particularly frightening is that the doomsday scenario seems completely plausible. In fact, it seems to be the logical extension of the events we see unfolding today.

I find this to be a very interesting article, a little extreme though.

After one of the financial orgies like what went on in the us housing industry for the past 10 years, you have to ask where did the money come from and where did it go. There are a lot of people that made lots of money from the housing bubble, the money came from somewhere, and now the money is captive.

I was living in silicon valley during the dot com boom and had some sort of strange conversation. I had a friend that made something like $80 million dollars from an IPO and was lucky enough to get thrown out of the company so that he could sell the stock. He was very bitter about getting thrown out of the company..........a company that at it height had about 3 million dollars in revenue. What I found interesting was that this guy had never thought about where his $80 million came from. When I tried to explain that the money came from private individuals and from pension funds he did not understand. He felt as though he was treated unfairly......eventually the company he got the money from disappeared.

So................who made all the money from the mortgages that were written during the past 10 years and where are they. I am sure that at this point there are a lot of people that own the mortgages that are very, very upset because they will never get the return that they had hoped for.

Mortgage brokers, successful flippers, people who cashed out by 2006, and ?

Congrats to your friend who cashed out with $80 million! I've known people who could've cashed out but didn't. They stayed until the company went bust and ended up hauling the Aeron (sp?) chairs home.

I saw my fortunes rise and drop during the dot-com bubble. It was a fun ride and I ended up salvaging a little $ for RE down payment, then rode the RE roller coaster. Reflecting on the past decade, it was one heck of a time when you could make a LOT of money, if you're smart enough to cash out and move your money overseas.

> Latest estimate is over $500 trillion in OTC derivatives existent.

That's what I thought. 10-20% failure rate would be... quite substantial.

<p><em>"What I find particularly frightening is that the doomsday scenario seems completely plausible. In fact, it seems to be the logical extension of the events we see unfolding today. " -IR</em></p>

<p>This has been the unfortunate topic of discussion at the dinner table lately. Right now the struggle between my wife and I is between keeping our cash in the high interest savings account or moving it to the safe. She wants to at least match inflation, but I'm more worried that we won't be able to get to it when the fit hits the shan.</p>

<p>Anyone got some advice?</p>

Don't worry, it's still only money. The waves will still be there for surfing. The golf courses will still be open. On the bright side, the realtors will go back to working the titty bars again. You have to learn to be happy with what youve got, not what you drive.

A lot of the money came from China. As Steven Cobert explains, China sends lots of cheap goods to us and gets lots of dollars in return which they then lend back to us. That way, we can never attack China because we would never get our money back. Which leaves Taiwan up a creek. (summary.. we get cheap plasma tv's and China gets Taiwan!)

Nude,

I can't see the whole system unraveling to the point where the government cannot run its printing press and force people to accept dollars as payment. I would be somewhat concerned about which institutions hold your money, not because it might get lost, but because you might have to go through an FDIC process to get to it if the institution failed. That being said, savings accounts do not pay enough to compensate for inflation right now, and you are little better off with your money in a savings account than you are with cash in a safe deposit box.

<i>"So................who made all the money from the mortgages that were written during the past 10 years and where are they"</i><p>

The large banks, largest lenders, and Wall Street made the most from fees and commisions from derivatives and servicing fees. The money didn't come from anyplace. It was created through leverage and fractional reserve banking, and is in the process of disappearing as the leverage unwinds.

<p>"Similarly, the FHA Secure program has been so far a total failure and there are now suggestions to vastly expand it to make it more effective. The proposals to allow the GSEs (Fannie and Freddie) to buy or guarantee mortgages above the current conforming limits of $417k (all the way to a new limit of $729k) don’t have much merit. The jumbo

loan market may be in distress now but why should the GSE heavily subsidize very large mortgages of upper class Americans. At the $417 limit the GSE are already seriously subsidizing the mortgages by middle and middle upper class households. Now extending this subsidy to the wealthiest households buying McMansions and expensive condos is highly inappropriate public policy." [Page 13 from cited testimony]</p>

<p>He sure tells it like it is! Good for him! I also noticed he is not above using vernacular slang - "McMansions". - LOL!</p>

Back