The bridge over Newport Ave.

I drove to Orange the other day, and see this bridge over Newport Ave. I look it up on Google Map, and the name is Highclift Dr. I can't figure out why it was built and what is it for. Any insight on this?

2 custom communities were bisected by Newport Blvd. On one side are the recreation center and tennis courts. Newport Blvd traffic calculation due to the fast traffic speed did not permit a signal light so in order to join the 2 custom communities the only solution is a bridge. Another reason is the equestrian access is too dangerous crossing Newport. Accidents have occurred previously.

Portola Springs would not have been so undesirable had TIC thought about this exact solution bridging over Foothill Ranchers' and Walmart shoppers' Portola Parkway and have a grand village entry on Irvine Blvd.

There is no access street from Newport being allowed on the non Tennis court side so to get there previously was to drive through the entire Cowan and Lemon Hts. The bridge is now the fast access.

The Ocean side of Emerald Bay is the same way. Access is from the inland side and via a tunnel below PCH to get to the water side.

Back