The Best Sushi I have EVER had...

GraceOMalley_IHB

BK and I used to go to Long Beach for sushi at least once a week. To Naples Sushi.. it was amazing, the folks that work there remember BKs daughter from when she was so wee and could barely see over the sushi bar. Over time we got to know one chef and one of the waitresses really well and would always ask to sit in their sections. Both were Chinese... and we actually became good friends.

The guy that owns Naples sushi was a weirdo. Paranoid, with something like 27 cameras in the sushi bar alone, streaming live, all the time. About 4 years after we started going there our favorite chef and waitress quit and moved to SF together.

They started a small restaurant called "Sushi Bistro" in the Richmond district. The first year in business Xin and Debbie entered a bunch of contests through Citysearch.com and Yahoo.com to get some free advertising and some marketing for his little joint. They won every. single. time.

I wrote the very first review for them on citysearch and told him he was smart to market himself this way...

Fast forward 5 years... He's expanded to a much larger space, still in the Richmond District and opened a second location South of Market this summer. He was also asked if his restaurant could be featured in an Apple commercial for the Urban Spoon iphone app.

If you get the chance, try it. Yes its in SF but Its the best sushi ever. Seriously. <a href="http://www.sushibistro.com/Home.html">Sushi Bistro</a>

Nice thought. Too bad I'll likely never get back to the city again, and never get a chance to see my beloved Giants unless I go to the Dodgers game.

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1251104827]BK and I used to go to Long Beach for sushi at least once a week. To Naples Sushi.. it was amazing, the folks that work there remember BKs daughter from when she was so wee and could barely see over the sushi bar. Over time we got to know one chef and one of the waitresses really well and would always ask to sit in their sections. Both were Chinese... and we actually became good friends.

The guy that owns Naples sushi was a weirdo. Paranoid, with something like 27 cameras in the sushi bar alone, streaming live, all the time. About 4 years after we started going there our favorite chef and waitress quit and moved to SF together.

They started a small restaurant called "Sushi Bistro" in the Richmond district. The first year in business Xin and Debbie entered a bunch of contests through Citysearch.com and Yahoo.com to get some free advertising and some marketing for his little joint. They won every. single. time.

I wrote the very first review for them on citysearch and told him he was smart to market himself this way...

Fast forward 5 years... He's expanded to a much larger space, still in the Richmond District and opened a second location South of Market this summer. He was also asked if his restaurant could be featured in an Apple commercial for the Urban Spoon iphone app.

If you get the chance, try it. Yes its in SF but Its the best sushi ever. Seriously. <a href="http://www.sushibistro.com/Home.html">Sushi Bistro</a></blockquote>

Added it to my bookmarks for the next time I'm in SF. If you haven't, you should check out IKKO in Costa Mesa. I'd rank it up there with some of the best I've had, and I've dined in most of the top Zagat rated sushi spots nationwide. I've found Citysearch to be a little unreliable. I found IKKO on Yelp and it did not disappoint.

<a href="http://www.yelp.com/biz/ikko-costa-mesa">IKKO</a>

[quote author="The_Maestro" date=1251111094][quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1251104827]BK and I used to go to Long Beach for sushi at least once a week. To Naples Sushi.. it was amazing, the folks that work there remember BKs daughter from when she was so wee and could barely see over the sushi bar. Over time we got to know one chef and one of the waitresses really well and would always ask to sit in their sections. Both were Chinese... and we actually became good friends.

If you get the chance, try it. Yes its in SF but Its the best sushi ever. Seriously. <a href="http://www.sushibistro.com/Home.html">Sushi Bistro</a></blockquote>

Added it to my bookmarks for the next time I'm in SF. If you haven't, you should check out IKKO in Costa Mesa. I'd rank it up there with some of the best I've had, and I've dined in most of the top Zagat rated sushi spots nationwide. I've found Citysearch to be a little unreliable. I found IKKO on Yelp and it did not disappoint.

<a href="http://www.yelp.com/biz/ikko-costa-mesa">IKKO</a></blockquote>

Citysearch is lame but 5 years ago it was pretty decent. These days Yelp is pretty reliable.

I'll take some clients next week and let you know. In the city I usually go to Anzu at Hotel Nikko. If you're ever in Monterey, friends from Japan own a great place called Crystal Fish.

IKKO has another restaurant in Torrance.

Reservations is highly recommended at the Costa Mesa restaurant. The location can be hard to find, it's in a plaza with an adult toys store (cough).

Back