That other new forum

A

Anonymous

Quote from Graphrix:
It appears there is some misconception of what www.ocreader.com is about. So I feel the need to clarify.

OC Reader was started -- not as competition to Talk Irvine -- but as a place where people could come and discuss more than just Irvine. Our topics are very broad based and range from restaurant reviews, architecture, sports, economics, etc. Talk Irvine is the best community to discuss all things Irvine. OC Reader believes that so much, that TI is on our blog roll and there have been several links back to TI. We want to be a site that compliments TI and help it grow. TI might be your thing, or OC Reader might be your thing, but hopefully you can enjoy both. OC Reader was not started to steal readers away from TI, it was started because several people wanted to discuss more about OC.

I remember when I first started blogging, and there was oc_fliptrack, BMIT, and IHB all getting along and working together to promote each other. I helped all three of them with their blog posts at some point, and each one of them promoted my blog when I launched it. Back then, the internet was big enough for more than one OC based site and all of them supported each other. In fact, it was that kind of promotion that helped make IHB grow into what it was and is.

I cannot tell you how disappointed I am to hear that some people here were personally discouraging people from promoting OC Reader. Are you really that threatened? I find that to be silly and truly petty.

So with that, I encourage you to check out OC Reader. It may or may not be your thing. I won't be offended either way. TI is a place for all that is great about Irvine, but just like the internet is big, so is OC and everybody should be able to get along.

My stuff:

I'm gonna quote this here since the other thread is locked. SoCal, if you need to, you can delete this, but I want to get this out.

From what I've read on the forums (as I have no other information), this explanation of OCR's creation is bull. It seems to me that OC Reader was created because some people here were pissed about the moderating here and the general running of the website. Or possibly the lack of "snark." It's not just Irvine vs. Orange County at large...at least from my point of view.

EvalSeraphim even said as much in her resignation thread: that the OCR people had tried to work with SoCal, or something to that effect, but with no success. (I'm paraphrasing; don't make me go back and read the thread again for quotes.) That's why they started the new site. I don't think it necessarily had to do with Irvine vs. the larger OC.

I'd like to know: Graph, who is "personally discouraging people from promoting OC Reader?" Because I asked SoCal in a pm what the deal was about OC Reader and its affiliation with TI, and she didn't say one negative word about OCR, nor did she discourage me from visiting that site at all. I even asked her point blank about what I perceived to be "bad blood" between the sites, and she didn't mention anything about that. She could have said, "Yeah, that site's competing with us! It sucks! Don't go there!" But she didn't. And her tone was nothing but respectful.

And as far as not trying to take readers from TI...why did EvalSeraphim start a thread about leaving to work on the OCR site? Why not just privately pm SoCal? Because that thread was the first time I'd ever heard of OCR. It was probably the first time some other people had heard of OCR as well. Maybe I'm cynical, but I suspect that that's why Eval chose to resign in such a public way.

So I checked out OCR, and it is a very pretty site. Props for that. But it feels like a members-only club where former IHBers hide their old identities in new screen names involving John Cusack. Ok, whatever floats your boat. I recognize a lot of old people from IHB and there seems to be some interesting stuff over there, but you won't see me posting over there...even though I am a huge John Cusack fan.

From my perspective as a reader who doesn't know anyone here personally and has no inside information whatsoever, it seems SoCal has handled this whole situation with a lot of class. Again, I'd really like to know who has been discouraging people from promoting OCR. Graph, if you can't tell me here, can you pm me?

Whew - off my chest. I think I need a good cry.

While I do know some of the going-ons (athough who knows which is the real story)... I do think there is some truth to the wider swath that OCReader is going for.

IHB, in reality, had a lot of non-Irvinites as regular posters and in essence was more of an OC site than an Irvine specific site. Since TalkIrvine (if by name alone) was more Irvine-centric, I think most of them felt out of place here and because SoCal did want it to be more focused on Irvine (this had been discussed during the first days of this forum), it didn't jive with them.

Sure, there were probably other things going on... but in the end... it is what it is. OCReader was formed to serve Orange County and more broader interests, TalkIrvine is for Irvine and currently -- its most active area is Irvine real estate. You can look at OCR and see that it's less RE focused than the IHB forums were so there is a difference even from that.

This isn't to say what you're feeling is wrong and I think some people appreciate you posting how you felt, especially in response to what grouch -- I mean graph -- posted.

But I think to move on, both forums need to stop comparing themselves and just do what they do. I post on both... but since I am an Irvinite... I post more here. But there's a lot of stuff over there that interests me so I actually read more than post over there.

Let's kumbaya and eat cake.

(your sig is hilarious by the way... makes my day every time I read it)

IHO, I dare you to start a thread at OCR titled "Motorcourts and Minivans".

[quote author="ck"]IHO, I dare you to start a thread at OCR titled "Motorcourts and Minivans".[/quote]

That would be a lot of fun. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

Trace - I'm shooting you a PM shortly.

[quote author="traceimage"] but you won't see me posting over there...even though I am a huge John Cusack fan.
[/quote]

Fine. We'll just have to bond over our love for John Cusack over here <!-- s:p -->:p<!-- s:p -->

[quote author="Sunshine"]
[quote author="traceimage"] but you won't see me posting over there...even though I am a huge John Cusack fan.
[/quote]

Fine. We'll just have to bond over our love for John Cusack over here <!-- s:p -->:p<!-- s:p -->[/quote]

Sounds good to me! LOVE him! (Like every other woman on the planet.)

IHO, thanks for your comments. I suppose I don't really know why the OCR peeps decided to make their site, but I think if Graph is going to publicly accuse someone of something (like discouraging people from promoting the site), then he needs to back it up.

And thanks for the comment about my signature. I have no idea how the kid even knows what money is...

[quote author="traceimage"]

[/quote]

Trace....I just wanted to thank you for sharing your open and honest thoughts. Your participation here is very appreciated. I would like to share a few thoughts as well. I'm a moderator here, but I really have no clue WTF all the drama is about --- I'd like to see both sites thrive in their own way. That said, I am proud to be associated with Talk Irvine, and I also am very thankful to SoCal and her husband for all their hard work in putting this site together. I'm sure mistakes have been made along the way, but who doesn't make mistakes....we are all learning --- including myself. But after just three months or so, I'd say despite a few hiccups this site has gotten rolling pretty well, and has found its target audience.

But that does not and should not mean I or any of the other staff here are against OCR in any way. Of course my core focus will always be on helping to ensure the Talk Irvine community continues to grow and develop. For all of us who love the City of Irvine, there will certainly be much to talk about in the coming years. I hope to hear from any or all of our 215+ members on how we can continue to improve the site. Suggestions on moderation are particularly welcome and helpful.

But I would also encourage other TI members take the time to go check out the OCR site. It has a different focus than Talk Irvine. Some will feel more comfortable here, some there --- and many may call both places home. I also wish everyone at OCR the best of luck.

Whoa! I just visited OCR site. It must be my age. But the texts and colors are much better for my eyes.

[quote author="reason"]Whoa! I just visited OCR site. It must be my age. But the texts and colors are much better for my eyes. [/quote]

Reason, just in case it helps you out any - you can go to your profile and change your skin to the one titled "work in progress". We made that for some users who wanted larger buttons, different colors, etc. Mr. SC uses that one for his eyes and I use the standard one. Hope this helps.

[quote author="ck"]
[quote author="traceimage"]

[/quote]

Trace....I just wanted to thank you for sharing your open and honest thoughts. Your participation here is very appreciated. I would like to share a few thoughts as well. I'm a moderator here, but I really have no clue WTF all the drama is about --- I'd like to see both sites thrive in their own way. That said, I am proud to be associated with Talk Irvine, and I also am very thankful to SoCal and her husband for all their hard work in putting this site together. I'm sure mistakes have been made along the way, but who doesn't make mistakes....we are all learning --- including myself. But after just three months or so, I'd say despite a few hiccups this site has gotten rolling pretty well, and has found its target audience.

But that does not and should not mean I or any of the other staff here are against OCR in any way. Of course my core focus will always be on helping to ensure the Talk Irvine community continues to grow and develop. For all of us who love the City of Irvine, there will certainly be much to talk about in the coming years. I hope to hear from any or all of our 215+ members on how we can continue to improve the site. Suggestions on moderation are particularly welcome and helpful.

But I would also encourage other TI members take the time to go check out the OCR site. It has a different focus than Talk Irvine. Some will feel more comfortable here, some there --- and many may call both places home. I also wish everyone at OCR the best of luck.[/quote]

I haven't visited OCR yet but I will....

I'm a Member of two sperated Cycling Boards and go from one to the other all the time, well, when I have time, I wouldn't say one is better than the other but one is more for Cameraderie because I know a lot of the People, the other is for more general, technical reasons...

From what I've read here, OCR is more for general OC stuff?? TI is more Irvine specific...

Also, I know the Socal's personaly and they are awesome, nice People, I know for sure they have put a lot of work into TI...a message Board is like a Blog...the longer it goes the better it gets.....

Back