Thanks FCC!

The comparison of what you can see on Facebook is not exactly the same as Net Neutrality.

The concept is similar, in that someone can restrict access to certain data, but your agreement with Facebook by becoming a member is that they can control the content, that's not the same as the ISP. Data is data, and you should be able to access all data equally without having to pay a premium for different "types" of data (while observing legal limitations like copyright law, etc).

As I understand it, without NN, in the future, you may see IPS plans that will charge you based on type of usage rather than bandwidth (which is already a roundabout way of skirting NN but that's another argument). For example, since Cox obviously doesn't want you to use streaming to eliminate their exorbitant cable TV fees, they can now divvy their Internet service up into basic internet for $70/mo or internet that supports streaming video content from non-Cox sources for $150/mo so they still make it up on the back end.

But that's why I don't think it will happen, more providers benefit from NN than without it.

irvinehomeowner said:
The comparison of what you can see on Facebook is not exactly the same as Net Neutrality.

The concept is similar, in that someone can restrict access to certain data, but your agreement with Facebook by becoming a member is that they can control the content, that's not the same as the ISP. Data is data, and you should be able to access all data equally without having to pay a premium for different "types" of data (while observing legal limitations like copyright law, etc).

As I understand it, without NN, in the future, you may see IPS plans that will charge you based on type of usage rather than bandwidth (which is already a roundabout way of skirting NN but that's another argument). For example, since Cox obviously doesn't want you to use streaming to eliminate their exorbitant cable TV fees, they can now divvy their Internet service up into basic internet for $70/mo or internet that supports streaming video content from non-Cox sources for $150/mo so they still make it up on the back end.

But that's why I don't think it will happen, more providers benefit from NN than without it.

Actually they will because there is no alternative.  Cox will not be as bad as Time Warner or others because Cox is a pure ISP provider.  TW is also a content provider.

Look at Portugal:

?In Portugal, with no net neutrality, internet providers are starting to split the net into packages,? he wrote. ?A huge advantage for entrenched companies, but it totally ices out startups trying to get in front of people which stifles innovation. This is what?s at stake, and that?s why we have to save net neutrality.?

Yonatan Zunger, a former Google employee, recently retweeted Khanna?s tweet, adding: ?This isn?t even the worst part of ending net neutrality. The worst part happens when ISPs say ?we don?t like this site?s politics,? or ?this site competes with us,? and block or throttle it.?
https://futurism.com/portugal-american-internet-without-net-neutrality/

In totally unrelated news:

The timing of this couldn?t be worse.  But maybe that?s not a concern for major ISPs.  Accordingly, at least three major ISPs have now announced rate hikes for 2018.

That is, January, 2018.  So customers have very little time to react, modify their plans, or even cancel their accounts.

Just this morning, Karl Bode of DSLReports caught wind of numerous increases at mega-ISP Comcast.  But that is simply the latest in a string of planned increases by the likes of Cox, Frontier, and even DirecTV and Dish Network.

In all cases, these are increases for essentially the same services, with Bode noting that American will be stuck paying ?significantly more money for the same service in the new year?.  In many cases, the changes are padded into existing bills, with most consumers failing to see the changes.
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/12/19/comcast-cox-frontier-net-neutrality/

Did the prices of internet never go up between 2015-2017?  I'm asking rhetorically because I know my FIOS went from $30 to $45 over that time.

Back