Terrazza - backyard

Anteater Bruin

All,

You've been so helpful so far, so I have another question for you.

Husband and I put a deposit down on a plan 2 Terrazza. We jumped on it because the lot it is on has a backyard that goes back 31' back instead of the standard 12'. And the backyard backs into a landscaped hill, so no neighbors behind us. Basically we'd have a large private backyard.

From what I see, this is a rarity nowadays, right? At least if you want to stay around $1M? As people who have been following housing in Irvine, what do you think?

What kind of premium is reasonable to pay for a lot that goes back almost 20' further back than most of the others in the community?

I think TIC charge around 20K to 30K for premium lot fee.
That's what they did before.

Everybody has different preference.

I won't pay premium fee for a larger lot.
If I have enough money, I will choose Terrazza 2X plan with corner lot or those homes with driveways.

IMO driveways are more important. I would like to pay 40K for driveway.

When you sit outside and watch your children play in a yard that has the space, and with no nosy neighbor's peering down on you from behind... Take a deep breath and enjoy the decision.  Large lot + no rear neighbor's is rare in Irvine new homes.  Well worth the premium.

aquabliss said:
When you sit outside and watch your children play in a yard that has the space, and with no nosy neighbor's peering down on you from behind... Take a deep breath and enjoy the decision.  Large lot + no rear neighbor's is rare in Irvine new homes.  Well worth the premium.

Amen brother!

Yes that's exactly what I imagine. My kids kicking a ball around or being able to grow up riding a tricycle in his backyard.

Perfect. Thanks, guys!

I would agree, $15k sounds "cheap". It is really priceless if you have kids. Will also be a great selling feature when you eventually sell, too. Congrats on your purchase.

At Strada, Irvine Pacific doesn't separate the lot premium for additional square footage (bigger backyard) and location (end of cul-de-sac, hilltop view, etc.).

Vista Scena (Irvine Pac) charges $10K premium for the lots that back up to Orchard Hills so there is no neighbor behind you, but the backyards are still small.  So 15K seems like a better deal

$15k is a steal.  Here at CV, IP charges $25k premium for home with no neighbor in the back. And for only $15k you also get an extra large yard,  that's just an awesome deal.

Congrats to Anteater.

Thanks, guys! I'm so excited. Our first home, and it's at... Home. Done being out of the state and away from all of our family (I.e., babysitters).  ;D

The builders call it a broker co-op. An agent would have had to sign you up on your first visit to terraza. At closing the agent is paid the commission and then the agent generally splits the commission with the buyer after escrow by giving the buyer a check for 50% of the commission.

So if an agent like USCTrojan would have signe you up and the commission was $30k, he would have given you a check for $15k after closing. And the 15k is not income to you so you don't pay any taxes.

If an agent never signed you up you are probably screwed. Perhaps you can tell them an agent did sign you up and you can't believe they lost the info and threaten to back out if they don't give you the commission. Then have USC go sign you up :)

Perspective said:
At Strada, Irvine Pacific doesn't separate the lot premium for additional square footage (bigger backyard) and location (end of cul-de-sac, hilltop view, etc.).

My Strada lot premium was listed at $15K for the bigger backyard (8.5' deeper) - the location wasn't premium. The same premium was used at Laurel in Cypress Village.

Of course you will pay an additional "premium" in landscaping costs! Particularly for a 31' deep yard.

qwerty said:
The builders call it a broker co-op. An agent would have had to sign you up on your first visit to terraza. At closing the agent is paid the commission and then the agent generally splits the commission with the buyer after escrow by giving the buyer a check for 50% of the commission.

So if an agent like USCTrojan would have signe you up and the commission was $30k, he would have given you a check for $15k after closing. And the 15k is not income to you so you don't pay any taxes.

If an agent never signed you up you are probably screwed. Perhaps you can tell them an agent did sign you up and you can't believe they lost the info and threaten to back out if they don't give you the commission. Then have USC go sign you up :)

This guy gives 60% over 10k:http://irvinebroker.blogspot.com

Sounds like IR will give 74%:http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,2699.msg226438.html#msg226438

qwerty said:

So the agent DID sign us up. And has been going back and forth for us (we are out of state) and will take us to the property in a couple weeks when we fly in. She is a friend of some family friends.

When I asked about the rebate she said she had never heard of a rebate, but the builders do give the agents commission if they bring the buyers in the first time.

Question is how I ask her to share...

Back