Tech Shopping deals...

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1255137349]That's the 550 which was last season's model (it has Touch of Color) so it's only a 60hz LCD.

I'm not sure where you were finding a 750/850 for slightly more 10 months ago because this the lowest I've seen a 52" Samsung in about 2 years. In fact... this is low for any brand name 52" TV.

I just did a search on the 750 and the lowest I could find online was about $1450, from Amazon it's $1750 and BestBuy is $2000+. At BestBuy, the lowest 52" is a Toshiba at $1299.

FWIW: I will only buy a big screen LCD like this from Amazon or a local major chain store or warehouse store. I've heard too many horror stories about online electronic stores based in NY and at least I can get extended warranties from the local chain/warehouse. I just find it interesting that most times, the chain sale prices beat the warehouse store more often than not.</blockquote>

Sorry, I realized last night that I was looking at 46" teevees last xmas. The 750 was ~$1400 then. I was confused because I ended up buying a 52" Aquos instead of the 46"ers.

[quote author="25inIrvine" date=1255144447]I've actually asked some Costco return employees about which models get returned the most and they said Vizio are by far the most returned. They told me at more than half of the returend TV's are Vizio's and the Sharp, Sony, Samsung, and Panasonics are few and far between...

</blockquote>

I take that to mean that the Vizio has more issues? But to truly figure out if it has lower quality or have lower customer satisfaction, you need to find out the portion of TV that were sold. That is, if half of Costco's TV sales are Vizio, you expect the same portion of return. But if 90% of Costco LCD are Vizio, then 50% return is pretty good. My experience with Vizio was not that good, but it was a much smaller sample size that what you can get from the return desk.

The prices on LCD TVs this winter season are going to drop drastically. They're about to release OLED Televisions, which is the next revolutionary technology. Just FYI.

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1255241353][quote author="25inIrvine" date=1255144447]I've actually asked some Costco return employees about which models get returned the most and they said Vizio are by far the most returned. They told me at more than half of the returend TV's are Vizio's and the Sharp, Sony, Samsung, and Panasonics are few and far between...

</blockquote>

I take that to mean that the Vizio has more issues? But to truly figure out if it has lower quality or have lower customer satisfaction, you need to find out the portion of TV that were sold. That is, if half of Costco's TV sales are Vizio, you expect the same portion of return. But if 90% of Costco LCD are Vizio, then 50% return is pretty good. My experience with Vizio was not that good, but it was a much smaller sample size that what you can get from the return desk.</blockquote>

Also the big question is whether Vizio's are returned because of defects or because people simply didn't understand what they were getting. We use Vizios in our conference rooms but all we care when projecting graphs and spreadsheets is screen size. On epinions, you'll see reviews like:

"Pros: unbeatable price; Cons: poor contrast quality -- 5 stars! :)"

"Pros: cheap; Cons: sucks compared to my samsung -- 2 stars :("

In reality, both reviews are saying the same thing. Don't be surprised that the tv set that cost 50% less than a Sony or Samsung doesn't perform the same.

A 550 60hz Samsung 46" is on sale today at Fry's for $799:

<a href="http://www.frys.com/product/5861273">http://www.frys.com/product/5861273</a> (the sale price is in-store, not online)

I would totally try to price-match this at BestBuy,

Quite honestly, I don't see much of a difference between 60/120/240... but many claim there is.

California appears poised to be first to ban power-guzzling big-screen TVs

<A href=" http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-bigtvs14-2009oct14,0,4908205.story"> http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-bigtvs14-2009oct14,0,4908205.story</A>

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1255557116]Quite honestly, I don't see much of a difference between 60/120/240... but many claim there is.</blockquote>

To be honest, you won't see much difference until you watch live action, like a basketball game. Most blu-ray players or video game systems aren't built to take advantage of 240Hz refresh rates, and even if they were, it's really improbable that the source material was made to exploit it since the industry standard is 30 frames per second.

A better indicator is to watch a blu-ray movie on two TVs side by side with darker scenes and fast action. I like the first half of The Dark Knight but any blu-ray movie will do. You want to compare how well each shades that different shadow areas, and if there is any visible sharding in fast action scenes. For me personally, I'm looking at the Samsung 6000 series for the home gym because both the 7000 and 8000 series are a little too clear; I want to feel like I am watching a move, not like I am watching <em>the filming of a movie</em> as if I am on the set. However, as everyone has different preferences, the best thing is to take in your choice of movies and request they allow you to test them out.

In the interest of full disclosure, I already own a <a href="http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-viera-th-50pz800u/4505-6482_7-32886472.html?tag=mncol;lst">Panasonic Viera TH50PZ800U</a> which has consistently earned "OMG, I LOVE this TV!" from my wife whenever we watch football, basketball, or PBS nature shows.

[quote author="Anonymous" date=1255571247]California appears poised to be first to ban power-guzzling big-screen TVs

<a href="http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-bigtvs14-2009oct14,0,4908205.story">http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-bigtvs14-2009oct14,0,4908205.story</a>(<-- fixed your link)</blockquote>
I believe LCDs already consume lower power than tube TVs and also have built-in power saving functions that auto-dims based on ambient lighting.

The LED TVs are even more power-efficient.

Save the earth... buy a flat screen TV! (at least that's what I tell my wife)

lcds less power than *comparable sized* CRTs

about 200% more for the same sized LCD, iirc.

problem is when you upgrade from the 27" CRT to the 65" LCD

plasmas are comparable to CRTs, iirc

[quote author="freedomCM" date=1255591254]

problem is when you upgrade from the 27" CRT to the 65" LCD

</blockquote>
I see no problem in that... size matters (heh).

But yes... plasmas not only consumer more power than similar sized LCDs, but are terribly heavy too.

The new Sammie LEDs can be hung on the wall with a heavily reinforced wire and two discs... that's awesome (although the price for such a mounting kit is greedily outragious... $250+!!).

Yes, plasmas are heavy and consume a lot of power but it's like having a built-in room heater ;)

Seriously, I love the new Samsungs but I'm going to have to do a side by side before I'll say they are better than the plasma.

There is a Sony or Sammie 46" on sale for $800 at Fry's almost every ad the past few weeks... but Best Buy never gets that low... so weird.

BTW: Windows 7 is out today, the OEM System Builder versions at Fry's are a better buy than the upgrades.

Someone told me that end of summer/beginning of fall is a good time for the older models as the new models flat screens are in. However, Xmas time is good for the newer models as they've been around a few months and will be on sale for the holidays. Is there truth in that?

[quote author="JVNA" date=1256306997]Someone told me that end of summer/beginning of fall is a good time for the older models as the new models flat screens are in. However, Xmas time is good for the newer models as they've been around a few months and will be on sale for the holidays. Is there truth in that?</blockquote>

Retailers have been keeping their inventories low, especially on high-end electronics. I don't expect fire sales this year because the big box stores just aren't going to risk having unsold inventory the last week before Xmas. They might be looking to move the older stuff, but I think that last year was the worst from an unsold inventory standpoint. The lowered rail and truck traffic lends some validity to that theory.

I think like most things, the best time to buy is when something you like is in the price range you want to buy it for.

I spent $800 on a Sony LCD in May because it was the cheapest that one of the S brands went for. A few months later, the Sammie that I had been tracking for 1100 finally dropped down to $800 too. But I don't regret not waiting.

As for new models/old models... there will always be a sale on the new stuff and there will always be the older stuff around. They are still selling models from 2 years ago so you will be good either way. I just don't like buying the new tech (240hz, LED etc) right when it comes out... I usually give it a year or so.

I'm looking at the Samsung LN52B750. I'm hoping it'll go below the $1,500 mark at the end of this year/beginning of next year.

Back