Tantrums

We use the 1-2-3 Magic method (www.parentmagic.com)... but it's not as effective with one of our kids as it used to be.

irvinehomeowner said:
We use the 1-2-3 Magic method (www.parentmagic.com)... but it's not as effective with one of our kids as it used to be.

Do I have to buy the book? Are you secretly Dr. Thomas Phelan? ;)

Heh... we borrowed the book from another parent... you can probably get it at one of the many libraries in Irvine (another perk no one really mentions).

The gist is basically putting them in time-out with a 1-2-3 count warning. When it first starts, there is probably a lot of putting them into their rooms, corners or time-out chairs (duration of time-out is minutes = age of child). But once they see it's a consistent reaction... they'll control themselves before it gets to 3. The trick here is to not make it a negative experience and to try to control your own emotions (we should have more patience than our children).

While I know no one is perfect and sometimes kids just get out of hand, it's really up to us to be the "mature" one and not react with our own "tantrums" (although I am guilty of it). And it's not a be-all-end-all solution... but I've found it helpful (at times I've had to put their toys in timeout instead of them).

Back