Tankless Water heaters?

So do tankless water heaters pass the real-world test?  If your teenager takes a 30 minutes shower in the guest bath and the next one takes a long one as well and dad decides to take a shower in the master bath at the same time, will I get any hot water?  Or will I have to turn into the Incredible Hulk each time?  I assume different models have varying performance?

irvinehusky said:
So do tankless water heaters pass the real-world test?  If your teenager takes a 30 minutes shower in the guest bath and the next one takes a long one as well and dad decides to take a shower in the master bath at the same time, will I get any hot water?  Or will I have to turn into the Incredible Hulk each time?  I assume different models have varying performance?

I would assume that you would have heated water too since the tankless continuously heats your water as it passes through the heat exchanger.  Lime and scale in the heat exchanger can cause the tankless water heater to eventually fail, which is why it is recommended to do the flush once a year.  My friend learned the hard way when her 3-year old Rheem failed.

irvinehusky said:

They seems very similar to the propane water heaters that are/were popular in Asia.  I remember having to turn on and off the water heater every time someone needs to take a shower.  I recall them being fairly fast in heating up the water and this is technology from like 20 years ago.

Tankless  is inconvenient for on demand water.    It's hard enough to convince the young one to get in the bath, and when I get her in, she says, "Water too cold!"  Ugh.   

I don't know of any benefit to them except you don't have the huge thing in the garage (the small box looks "cooler") and I have more room for a 2nd fridge.  Our water is a bit "hard" as well, so we'll be adding a water softener system soon.    Overall, I don't see any real positive benefit to tankless (Gas was always the cheapest bill).    Given what our electric bill is, I'd say having solar panels is a nicer upgrade in a new home over a tankless water heater. 

Also, when the walkers are coming, maybe you can still get electricity for the electric gate around the yard.    That or get over to "Woodbury"  hahaha

akim997 said:
Tankless  is inconvenient for on demand water.    It's hard enough to convince the young one to get in the bath, and when I get her in, she says, "Water too cold!"  Ugh.   

I don't know of any benefit to them except you don't have the huge thing in the garage (the small box looks "cooler") and I have more room for a 2nd fridge.  Our water is a bit "hard" as well, so we'll be adding a water softener system soon.    Overall, I don't see any real positive benefit to tankless (Gas was always the cheapest bill).    Given what our electric bill is, I'd say having solar panels is a nicer upgrade in a new home over a tankless water heater. 

Also, when the walkers are coming, maybe you can still get electricity for the electric gate around the yard.    That or get over to "Woodbury"  hahaha

When you decide on the water softener system and contractor can you post the info? I am thinking of getting one too. The stains hard water leaves on glass ware, sink, and shower is just unsightly !

irvinehomeowner said:
NASCAR24 said:
The Motor Court Company said:
seems too much DIY for Irvine's Asian buyers
I am Asian, but way more American aka "Yellowneck". 
With a screen name like "NASCAR24"... more like a "YellowRedNeck"... or is that "OrangeNeck"? :)

Back in HS, I drove a cherry red Ford Mustang and my friends thought that I was an "Oriental Redneck" for watching re-runs of Dukes of Hazzard.  They threatened to paint the CA bear flag on top of my car like the General Lee.

mustang-lee.jpg

(my mustang did not look anywhere near as nice as the car above)

socaltrojan81 said:
akim997 said:

When you decide on the water softener system and contractor can you post the info? I am thinking of getting one too. The stains hard water leaves on glass ware, sink, and shower is just unsightly !

Will do, but the to do list is growing much faster than I'd like.    Still deciding on direct tv, and the next thing is going to be an alarm system (was going to start a thread on this anyways)

Alarm system - frontpoint.com  - all cellular based. Install it yourself.  Very easy. iPhone app that includes video if u get the cameras. All sorts of alerts, reminders. Would highly recommend.

And directv, genie. Records 5 shows at once, picture in picture, 1 terabyte hard drive which holds 200 hours of hd. Easy install for new contsruction.

Didn't want to start a new topic and didn't want to hijack the thread about looking for annual maintenance.

Someone I know has a tankless water heater but during a shower, the burner turns off and they end up having to take a cold one until the burner turns back on.

What causes that? Does it have to be flushed (it's a few years old)?

Back