Tankless Water Heater + Water Softener Installer Recommendations

woodburyowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
woodburyowner said:
Looks like the tank -> tankless change is more of a pain than I thought.  Standard water heaters usually have a 1/2" line going in.  Tankless requires 3/4".  This will add a lot more to the install cost. 

Has anyone actually gone from tank -> tankless?  Maybe it's just not worth it..

I did and it was totally worth it...total cost with the tankless water heater was around $2k.

How did you address the 1/2" to 3/4" issue?  Did you have a 3/4" line behind your drywall or something?

I can't remember, the plumber took care of it all for me.

momopi said:
If you're investing thousands of dollars into a tankless system, you should install a water softener.  It will prolong the life of your unit and there will be less crap to flush.  You will still need to flush the unit annually for maintenance.

+1 That is exactly what I did.

momopi said:
If you're investing thousands of dollars into a tankless system, you should install a water softener.  It will prolong the life of your unit and there will be less crap to flush.  You will still need to flush the unit annually for maintenance.

Don't need to flush as often after you get a softener...used to get a ton of stuff out of my flushes on both my tankless.  I got a softener a few months after I flushed and flushed about 10/11 months after the softener install, it was a lot cleaner on both.  I'll probably do every 2 years now on the flush. 

Buy vinegar from Costco and a couple hoses from Amazon and a submersible pump from wherever you want and you're good to go.  Can buy a bucket too, but I would think most of you got one lying around.  I do about an hour on each tankless and a 5 minutes of water to get the vinegar out. 

woodburyowner said:
Looks like the tank -> tankless change is more of a pain than I thought.  Standard water heaters usually have a 1/2" line going in.  Tankless requires 3/4".  This will add a lot more to the install cost. 

Pipe size, like electrical wire size, is dictated by usage needs and explained by the building code.  1/2" just doesn't cut it as a supply line except for maybe a single water faucet in a dog house.  1/2" lines are fine for single branches and fixtures.  A main supply line going in and out of a water heater will be at least 3/4" pipe.

All these years and I had no clue that the tankless heater needs flushing. Any recommendation for a plumber who'd do this for me for a charge?

Cornflakes said:
All these years and I had no clue that the tankless heater needs flushing. Any recommendation for a plumber who'd do this for me for a charge?

I think its probably $125-$175 depending on plumber, but its basic, so any plumber should be able to get it done. 

Irvinehomeseeker said:
I was told that of you have a water softener, there is no need for annual flushing

I would still do it every couple years.  2.5-3hrs and the cost of vinegar isn't too bad since I do it myself every couple years.  And most of that time is just waiting for the vinegar/pump to work for an hour on each *tankless. 

akkord said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
I was told that of you have a water softener, there is no need for annual flushing

I would still do it every couple years.  2.5-3hrs and the cost of vinegar isn't too bad since I do it myself every couple years.  And most of that time is just waiting for the vinegar/pump to work for an hour on each softener. 

+1  I would still flush it every 2-3 years with a water softener just to be on the safe side...small piece of mind really.

Getting a tankless system next week.  Under the impression salt based softeners no longer allowed in Irvine.  Could be mistaken.  Am I really looking for a water conditioner with filter?  Little confused to be honest.

northparkdude said:
Getting a tankless system next week.  Under the impression salt based softeners no longer allowed in Irvine.  Could be mistaken.  Am I really looking for a water conditioner with filter?  Little confused to be honest.

I haven't heard of anyone getting called out for having it in Irvine.  Half my street has water softeners.  Water conditioners do nothing, don't waste your money.

I have a water conditioner. I don't think it does anything as I checked my water and it's still hard.
it's called a HALO 5.  It came with the house *shrug*

USCTrojanCPA said:
GoatGeneral said:
Any recommendations for a tankless installer?

I used these guys to take out my tank water heater and install a tankless water heater in my garage 5 years ago.  I think I paid $900 to $1,000 for the labor (it took about 6 hours or so).
https://www.yelp.com/biz/usa-water-heaters-irvine-6?osq=Tankless+Water+Heater+Service

This is helpful! They seem to have great reviews.

SoCal Gas is offering up to $1000 in rebates and that might get me to make the switch.https://www.socalgas.com/sites/default/files/2020-07/SF_Application_Fillable.pdf

Thanks hurijo, I used 'At House' to replace my 75gal tank with a Noritz 11.1GPM tankless. The work took most of the day (my install was a bit more complicated than the typical) and the pricing was in line with what they posted on their site:https://at-house.com/tankless-water-heater-2-2/

The owner?, Hiro, came out to give me a quote and then we scheduled the work for about a week later. So far, I'm happy with the work they did and I'd use them again. They sent me a link to the $1000 rebate that GoatGeneral linked and it was quick to submit for that online (though the form was a little quirky) and it got processed and sent out to me within a few weeks.

They also do water softeners and RO. The price seemed a bit higher than others but I may go with them as I've had a good experience so far.

Cool. Was this just recently?

zovall said:
Thanks hurijo, I used 'At House' to replace my 75gal tank with a Noritz 11.1GPM tankless. The work took most of the day (my install was a bit more complicated than the typical) and the pricing was in line with what they posted on their site:https://at-house.com/tankless-water-heater-2-2/

The owner?, Hiro, came out to give me a quote and then we scheduled the work for about a week later. So far, I'm happy with the work they did and I'd use them again. They sent me a link to the $1000 rebate that GoatGeneral linked and it was quick to submit for that online (though the form was a little quirky) and it got processed and sent out to me within a few weeks.

They also do water softeners and RO. The price seemed a bit higher than others but I may go with them as I've had a good experience so far.

Back