Take your geiger counter to the open house

profette_IHB

Some granite countertops contain high levels of uranium, which is not only radioactive but releases radon gas as it decays.

Reports of granite emitting high levels of radon and radiation are increasing...<a href="http://theater2.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/garden/24granite.html">linky</a>

Not only is it expensive, but it's potentially dangerous to your health.

Is it possible they yellow tape the whole VOC for being on a toxic waste dump AND pergraneel?

[quote author="profette" date=1216936748]Some granite countertops contain high levels of uranium, which is not only radioactive but releases radon gas as it decays.

Reports of granite emitting high levels of radon and radiation are increasing...<a href="http://theater2.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/garden/24granite.html">linky</a></blockquote>
In a few years people will be looking down on granite, "Oh, it has granite? I'll need to knock some money off the asking price so I can upgrade to white tile." :p

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1216937456]Not only is it expensive, but it's potentially dangerous to your health.</blockquote>

Actually... it isn't that expensive. The markup on it is ridiculous. Now the markup seems even more ridiculous.

<blockquote>Is it possible they yellow tape the whole VOC for being on a toxic waste dump AND pergraneel?</blockquote>

:coolhmm:

lol.. I saw this thread in my RSS reader and thought it was another spam forum posting.. i came here to delete the post and user.. then i saw profette was the poster and took a second look ;)

[quote author="graphrix" date=1216944785][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1216937456]Not only is it expensive, but it's potentially dangerous to your health.</blockquote>

Actually... it isn't that expensive. The markup on it is ridiculous. Now the markup seems even more ridiculous.

<blockquote>Is it possible they yellow tape the whole VOC for being on a toxic waste dump AND pergraneel?</blockquote>

:coolhmm:</blockquote>
There is a huge markup. You can negotiate when you buy granite if you go directly to a vendor. We got a nice discount when we installed our granite. Stay away from the Home Depot places, etc. You can't get a good price with them (if at all).

This thread reminded me of <a href="http://www.urbanslabs.com/">UrbanSlabs</a>, but I just now remembered the name and found that I had the link in my favorites. Plus, you are supporting the local economy with this company.

The Colbert Report's Threat Down included <a href="http://www.comedycentral.com/colbertreport/index.jhtml?kw=thecolbertreport"><strong>granite countertops </strong></a>as #2. Hilarious stuff...don't make your salad angry...

I have been seeing more concrete counters and floors lately... a friend had concrete floors, but honestly... I could not imagine standing and cooking in that kitchen on concrete floors! I have wood/laminate in the IAC I rent, and it's so much more comfortable to stand on for long periods of time!

When it's time to buy... I will definately be getting wood floors!

[quote author="Girl In the OC" date=1217730522]I have been seeing more concrete counters and floors lately... a friend had concrete floors, but honestly... I could not imagine standing and cooking in that kitchen on concrete floors! I have wood/laminate in the IAC I rent, and it's so much more comfortable to stand on for long periods of time!

When it's time to buy... I will definately be getting wood floors!</blockquote>
My mother had brick floors in her country farmhouse. Although they looked beautiful for the style of house, they were a killer on the feet and back. My mother said she would never have them again.

We currently have hard wood floors in our kitchen and even they can do a number on the feet and back after a long day in the kitchen. I buy nice 3 x 5 rugs and put them in front of the sink and stove. I then put a rubber mat under the rugs. It really makes a difference when you are standing for a long time.

Back