Take It To The Politics Thread

<p>skek,</p>

<p>Considering that he has months to go before the general, I think his fundraising strategy is to lay low until the convention and retool his network for the main campaign. I would consider this visit an introductory one, handshakes and policy talk with the people setting things up now that the primaries are over. When it comes to fundraising, McCain reminds me a lot of Jack Kemp, in that he doesn't want to be bothered.</p>

You know... somehwere in the Obama thread I told IrvineRenter that there was no 'Reagan' waiting in the wings, but now I wonder. Would Kemp accept the VP slot on a McCain ticket? Would he run in 2012, maybe Kemp/Gingrich? Or maybe Romney/Gingrich... oooo, I could do this all day.

<p>Eva, I know I won't be able to defend my opinion with loads of examples but I just get frustrated with what I consider to be the extreme liberal views being espoused by many high profile democrats. My overall perception of the last election was that the extreme liberals were impacting the party so much with thier yelling and screaming that we were unable to win over the independents and swing voters - it wasn't Kerry himself that bothered me as much as people like Howard Dean. Now in this election that extreme liberal person is Obama - and he may win the nomination. </p>

<p>I think it is similar to some republicans complaining that the christian moral right is ruining their party. One of things I actually like about McCain is that so many of the extreme conservatists hate him (limbaugh, etc). </p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p>High profile democrats <em>"yelling and screaming</em>"?</p>

<p>Really?</p>

<p><embed id="VideoPlayback" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D5FzCeV0ZFc" width="425" height="350" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" quality="high"></embed></p>

Definitely not a Howard Dean fan but your comments about democrats yelling and screaming made me think of this speech. Just trying to inject some humor into the conversation...

<p>movingaround,</p>

<p>I don't know how much comfort this will give you considering the source but, <em>in my opinion</em>, what cost Kerry the 2004 election was his inablility to answer a question or state a position in a clear and concise manner. In the forums I was actively posting on at the time, it became a running joke even amongst his supporters. Combine that with anti-gay marriage ballot measures in key swing states and you end up with Kerry losing.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Kerry was the default Democratic candidate. It would have been more interesting if Edwards would have won. Kerry was tepid. . .and definitely not my first choice for a candidate. </p>

<p>movingaround, like skek said...turnout.</p>

<p>Quite possibly the most brilliant move in the 2004 campaign was getting a few specific measures on the ballot, gay marriage being the one used most. Some form of a gay marriage ban was on the ballot in 10 states, Florida had the parental notification of abortion ballot measure and a couple of others had legalization of marijuana on the ballot. The rumor was that Karl Rove had masterminded this tactic, but I have no sources that confirm it.</p>

Back