Swim Lessons

irvinesahm

We just moved to Irvine last fall and want to sign our 4 yr old up for swim lessons.  He took one session of semi-private lessons in our neighborhood (Woodbury) before the weather got colder, through Safe Swim.  I suppose the lessons were fine, but the instructor was a little bit flakey - she kept rescheduling.  I've heard great things about lessons at Waterworks, but has anyone tried Learn to Swim through the city of Irvine?  I like the schedule/class offerings on their site but have no idea if they are any good.

We did Woodbury, Waterworks and Woollett.  Woodbury is a joke.  Waterworks is good but expensive.  Great experience with Woolletts and cheap.

It depends on what your child needs. Most of what the city offers is group lessons, with a maximum of 4 kids per class. This works for some kids, but others need more focused attention. We've done the group lessons, but they didn't really work for us. I did like the instructors, though. The sessions are very short, so once one session ends and you start another one, you might end up with a new instructor (even if the lessons are at the same time). So if you want instructor continuity, I wouldn't recommend doing the city lessons.

The city also offers semi-private and private lessons, but we haven't done those. I've heard good things about Waterworks and Blue Buoy in Tustin, but they are so expensive.

traceimage said:
I've heard good things about Waterworks and Blue Buoy in Tustin, but they are so expensive.

+1 for Blue Buoy.
Several TI folk are over there with their kiddos. We've been very happy with their facilities, cost, and instructors.

-IR2

Waterworks is excellent.  I highly recommend them.  My son (5.5) has been going for two years and my daughter (2) just had her first lesson this week.  We're really happy there.  Most of our friends go there too and I've never heard a complaint.  The cost is a bit more (approx $20 for a 20 minute semi-private lesson), but totally worth it, in my opinion.

We did waterworks for my boy, but they were expensive and semi-private.  For my daughter we met a guy, Mr. Tammer, that was giving lessons to others at our pool in WE and we used him for my daughter.  Private lessons and $20 for 30 minutes.  Good deal and my daughter is very comfortable swimming now (almost 6 years old).  She was really scared to get in the water before him.  He is very reliable and I would highly recommend.  I think he goes to other pools as well, but not sure.

Back