Survey: What is your monthly expenses on HOAs, utilities and Mello Roos?

JLegend_IHB

Since many communities in Irvine collect HOAs and some have mello roos, I would like to get an idea of how much that adds to people's mortgages, in addition to utility costs for various parts and communities in Irvine. While most people here find $1000 HOAs at "luxury" condo buildings ridiculous, I've always speculated that this is only a few hundred dollars off - if that - from people's monthly expenses where there expenses are itemized. Being speculation, it would be nice to ground this in facts.

~$1000 HOAs covers water, gas, trash/recycling, cable (no HBO/Cinemax), phone, hazard insurance (structure, not insurance for inside-unit liabilities), and community amenities. Does not cover electric. Assume no Mello Roos.

How does this compare to other neighborhoods where these costs are itemized, and where sometimes there are two separate HOAs to pay into? I also don't know what HOA's at other places cover. Maybe it covers some utilities and trash, but in most instances, I suspect not, so this will be informative (at least for me). A break down in the following manner would be helpful:

HOA:

Mello Roos:

Insurance:

Trash/Recycling:

Water:

Gas:

Electric:

Cable/Internet/Phone:

older condo community in Irvine (built early 80's)

HOA is just under 300 a month. Covers the community pool and spa, roofs, exterior, roads, etc.

All utilities are paid by each owner, not the HOA. No Mello Roos

[quote author="24inIrvine" date=1236052221]older condo community in Irvine (built early 80's)

HOA is just under 300 a month. Covers the community pool and spa, roofs, exterior, roads, etc.

All utilities are paid by each owner, not the HOA. No Mello Roos</blockquote>

I know each family's usage will be different, but do you mind giving a ballpark figure what that may be for your family for the above items in the original post (OP)? Are we looking at $200, $300, $350, $400+ extra? Cable/phone/internet is probably already approaching $150, i imagine. I have no clue what monthly trash/recycling, gas or electricity runs a family. Just looking for rough estimates and in no way intend for anyone to disclose sensitive information.

The cost of high rise buildings is not even comparable to wood frame apartment wannabes. Go look at the maintenance invoice then compare the $1,000 HOA.

JL, I think it might be a good idea for you to start a new thread in a poll format. With ranges...some peeps rather keep it private but in an anonymous poll they would be more willing to answer your Q.

[quote author="asianinvasian" date=1236053353]The cost of high rise buildings is not even comparable to wood frame apartment wannabes. Go look at the maintenance invoice then compare the $1,000 HOA.</blockquote>

Not sure what you are getting at here. I just want to know what the estimated additional burn rate for these costs on a monthly basis is for residents of Irvine.

The HOA and Mello Roos are just barely less at those luxury towers than the total rent/utlitites/insurance of my SFR in Orange (almost Villa Park).

Then you pack the mortgage payment on there............and the owner gets nothing extra. I get a yard and a private spa in my deal.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1236059970]The HOA and Mello Roos are just barely less at those luxury towers than the total rent/utlitites/insurance of my SFR in Orange (almost Villa Park).

Then you pack the mortgage payment on there............and the owner gets nothing extra. I get a yard and a private spa in my deal.</blockquote>

Wait, so are you saying your monthly expenses for an SFR exceed those than what has been described (not saying by you) as "absurd" and "ridiculous" $1000 HOAs?

While the living experience between an SFR/townhouse and condo living is apples to oranges, I'm just looking at this from a purely monetary exercise with respect to ownership costs.

3 bdrm SFR in older part of irvine.

HOA: 110

Mello Roos: none

Insurance: 60

Trash/Recycling: 10

Water: 80

Gas: 80

Electric: 50

Cable/Internet/Phone: 120

Total: $510

It would be more useful to have systematic data on the HOA fees (and sub-association fees) for each village, as well as the tax rate (including mello roos if applicable). Otherwise, we have a useless thread here. I'd love to see a map of Irvine that reflects these data. Then, one could make useful comparisons between the cost and age of the home and the additional costs of ownership, as well as the location.

This is from my former 3bed/3bath Quail Hill condo:

HOA: $295 (two HOAs - $99 + $196)

Mello Roos: $150

Insurance: $0 - included in HOA

Trash/Recycling: $10

Water: $25

Gas: $20

Electric: $50

Cable/Internet/Phone: $110

[quote author="JLegend" date=1236065909][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1236059970]The HOA and Mello Roos are just barely less at those luxury towers than the total rent/utlitites/insurance of my SFR in Orange (almost Villa Park).

Then you pack the mortgage payment on there............and the owner gets nothing extra. I get a yard and a private spa in my deal.</blockquote>

Wait, so are you saying your monthly expenses for an SFR exceed those than what has been described (not saying by you) as "absurd" and "ridiculous" $1000 HOAs?

While the living experience between an SFR/townhouse and condo living is apples to oranges, I'm just looking at this from a purely monetary exercise with respect to ownership costs.</blockquote>

My SFR cost (rent, utilities, insurance) - $1750

Luxury Rental (HOA/MR/ect) - $1000

PLUS Mortgage ?????

I'm way money ahead unless the mortgage is less than $750 a month. My housing decisions are made by how I maximize my housing dollars RIGHT NOW. I want the most house for the buck in a quiet neighborhood with easy freeway access and no through traffic. When I moved here three years ago, I figured out my cost of ownership would be about $6000 a month for the same exact product. What do I care if I own it or not? I just want to live in a product like this at the lowest possible out of pocket costs.

When prices back down an additional 40%, I'll have to reevaluate.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1236131608][quote author="JLegend" date=1236065909][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1236059970]The HOA and Mello Roos are just barely less at those luxury towers than the total rent/utlitites/insurance of my SFR in Orange (almost Villa Park).

While the living experience between an SFR/townhouse and condo living is apples to oranges, I'm just looking at this from a purely monetary exercise with respect to ownership costs.</blockquote>

My SFR cost (rent, utilities, insurance) - $1750

Luxury Rental (HOA/MR/ect) - $1000

PLUS Mortgage ?????

I'm way money ahead unless the mortgage is less than $750 a month. My housing decisions are made by how I maximize my housing dollars RIGHT NOW. I want the most house for the buck in a quiet neighborhood with easy freeway access and no through traffic. When I moved here three years ago, I figured out my cost of ownership would be about $6000 a month for the same exact product. What do I care if I own it or not? I just want to live in a product like this at the lowest possible out of pocket costs.

When prices back down an additional 40%, I'll have to reevaluate.</blockquote>

I see what you are saying. Much broader than my original point of just comparing HOA/utilities. Not trying to make a case either way for ownership v. renting.

Back