Supplemental Tax Bill - Late Notice

Changer

New to Irvine and missed the 12/12 due date. Thought escrow acct was handling it. Late notice indicates 10% penalty. Anyone with experience on negotiating the waiver of the 10% penalty with Tax Office? Any flexibility for first offense (like IRS)? Advice greatly appreciated! Need the $700 for diapers.

Changer said:
New to Irvine and missed the 12/12 due date. Thought escrow acct was handling it. Late notice indicates 10% penalty. Anyone with experience on negotiating the waiver of the 10% penalty with Tax Office? Any flexibility for first offense (like IRS)? Advice greatly appreciated! Need the $700 for diapers.

Call the OC tax assessor office and simply explained what happen as you have stated here. They will waive all the fees as this is change of ownership either from builder to owner, or from owner to owner and sometimes paper work do get mix up. They are happy to have you paid the amount rather than not. This is from my personal experience.

I missed a 12/10 payment about three years before I refinanced into loans that had escrow accounts. I just called the tax assessors office and told them I was a first time home owner and forgot about the deadline and they just adjusted the amount due while on the phone and said I had till so and so date to pay before they added back the penalty and then I just paid the original amount.  They were very nice/reasonable.

How many supplemental tax bills are the norm?  I paid 1 last year, just got two more in the mail.  Purchased feb 2016

orange911 said:
How many supplemental tax bills are the norm?  I paid 1 last year, just got two more in the mail.  Purchased feb 2016

In your case, expect:

(1) Usually handled in escrow.  Period: purchase date to 6/30/16. Value: 1/1/15 assessed value

(2) Regular bill. Period: 7/1/16 to 6/30/17. Value: 1/1/16 assessed value

(3) Supplemental bill.  Period: purchase date to 6/30/16. Value: [Purchase value] - [1/1/15 assessed value]

(4) Supplemental bill.  Period: 7/1/16 to 6/30/17. Value: [Purchase value] - [1/1/16 assessed value]

I think in general...

if purchase date is between 1/1 and 6/30, 2 supplemental bills. 

If purchase date is between 7/1 and 12/31, 1 supplemental bill.

But why?

Because regular assessment date (1/1/20X1) doesn't match up with the start of the tax period (7/1/20X1 to 6/30/20X2).

Back