Submitting Landscape Plans for Approval

kubert13

I have about 9 months to do the landscaping in my backyard.  Because I have a sub-HOA, I will submit my forms/plans to them. Being technically savvy, I would like to prepare the plans on my own.

I could use some advice regarding this process. Does anyone know how detailed the submitted landscaping drawings have to be? Does everything need to be included now or can I submit a plan for just hardscaping followed by a plan for plants, trellis, firepit, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Who is the reviewing company ? My HOA is managed by Crummack Huseby and I can tell you what they were looking for based on the plan my landscaper submitted as far as the engineering detail.

They did want everything submitted together and it actually makes sense to submit everything together because they charge $100 review fee and a $500 deposit to be returned at completion so if you piece meal the process then you would have to pay them each time for the review.

Ill have to look at the management company when I get home. For some reason I can't remember off the top of my head. Ill shoot you a PM with the info.

Thanks!

It's Keystone Pacific Property Management.

Can you tell me the types of things they look for in the engineering drawings?  I'm not planning on doing any extravagant or something that would be borderline questionable.

anvin said:
Who is the reviewing company ? My HOA is managed by Crummack Huseby and I can tell you what they were looking for based on the plan my landscaper submitted as far as the engineering detail.

They did want everything submitted together and it actually makes sense to submit everything together because they charge $100 review fee and a $500 deposit to be returned at completion so if you piece meal the process then you would have to pay them each time for the review.

Anvin, I sent you a PM.

Also, if anyone else has insight as to what review boards are looking for in terms of backyard design plans, please post them!

Did you complete your landscape plan submittals?  The guidelines are often more intimidating than they need to be.  If you're still in need of help, let me know; I'm a landscape architect and love helping people get through these overcomplicated hurdles.  Best of luck!

In general, the property management companies forward the submitted plans to a landscape architect whom is contracted to review the plans to ensure they are in conformance with the HOA's design guidelines and that the homeowner is not proposing anything that might compromise the health, safety, or welfare of the homeowner, their neighbors, or the common area property.  Specifically, they want to make sure you've taken into account:

-  minimum clearances from property line walls.

-  minimum widths of required landscape planters.

-  appropriately-sized trees that won't cause root damage to adjacent walls and / or paving.  Provide a root-deflecting device for any trees planted within 5' of any wall or paving edge.

-  appropriately-sized trees that won't have too-large canopy-growth into nearby buildings on your or any adjoining properties.

-  surface grading (slope of the land) to ensure any water from your lot doesn't drain onto neighboring property or the common area.

-  accent lighting that illuminates your property only and does not provide glare into neighboring properties

-  nothing is attached to common area walls including landscape features (garden art, tile mosaics, etc.), clinging-vines, etc.

-  all proposed improvements are visible primary from your lot and will not project above the perimeter property line walls.

View the HOA design guidelines as a checklist, make sure your designer has taken each requirement into account and checked them off, and make sure your improvement plans CLEARLY state these requirements / limitations and how you've satisfy them before your submit them for review / approval.  Ideally, this should get your plans approved on the first submittal.  Best of luck!!!

Back