• Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Others

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • None

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Happiness said:
You should subscribe to direct TV because yaliu works there. Support our forum members!

Everyone should employ me to buy their next home because I have a license! Support forum members!

eyephone said:
I really recommend direct tv now. Free cloud service (record shows) When I signed up I got a free Apple TV 4K, but they ended the promotion. Currently they are giving a free Roku.

If you are on budget consider sling tv. ($25 a month)

One of the problems with DirecTV Now is you can't currently Chromecast DVRed shows from mobile devices to your TV, you have to use a Fire TV, Roku or any device that has the app on it. They will be changing that.

Plus the free DVR is only 20 hours.

Happiness said:
You should subscribe to direct TV because yaliu works there. Support our forum members!

Thanks for burning him.. (He has done nothing to you. As a matter of fact he hasn?t even posted on TI for years.)
However, I?m not surprised that you will do that.

I think it?s really low that you have to call out where he works.

Irvinecommuter said:
Just signed up for Hulu...$0.99 a month for the next 12 months for the limited commercial plan.

I think it's ridiculous to pay for a service and still be fed ads. Hulu has a weird model.

Cares said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Just signed up for Hulu...$0.99 a month for the next 12 months for the limited commercial plan.

I think it's ridiculous to pay for a service and still be fed ads. Hulu has a weird model.

For the commercial plan, you're basically paying for the convenience of having all their content in one place. And many cable/dish services don't have previous seasons OnDemand.

I think it's only $2 bucks more per month for the non-commercial plan and it actually makes a difference when you are watching HGTV shows as you don't need to watch a GEICO ad before the big reveal.

There has been a recent trend in these streaming services, many more companies are doing their own with exclusives and the larger ones are raising their prices.

DirecTVNow and YouTube have increased the cost of their plans, YTTV used to be $35/mo and will now be $50/mo.

CBS Access is the only place you can watch the new Star Trek shows. DC Universe does the same thing with their new live action shows. I assume that's what Disney is planning with their upcoming streaming service. ESPN+ is required if you want to watch UFC fights which used to be free on Fox (and it doesn't even include the PPV events). At least Prime Video is included with Prime so that's not really extra and I can watch their Prime-only shows like Jack Ryan and Hannah.

It's making it hard to just buy one or two services because of this exclusive content.

Someone needs to come up with a service that lets you subscribe to multiple services at a discount.

I think we can actually give up on Dish now because technology has made using these streaming services easier. My wife didn't like YouTubeTV when we had the free trial because she had to use her phone to Chromecast it to the TV. Same thing with DirecTVNow because she had to use the FireTV remote which wasn't very good and because the Amazon doesn't support YouTube, she would have to use the other TV that had the YouTube app. This was all simplified when we got a new TV which has all these apps so she can just use the remote to access them.

For the older TVs which we had Chromecasts on (which my wife is now getting used to), I think we can use a Roku because that has all the streaming services and having an actual remote makes it easier for her to use (at least based on her usage with the new TV).

I'm just wondering with all the price hikes, if we will really save over Dish. It's just we use Dish only when I watch live NBA games (which you can do on the streaming services) and DVR'd shows. The thing about DVR'd shows is we usually don't watch them until the next day or so and Hulu makes most of the shows we watch available the next day without commercials (if you pay the $2 premium).

How is everyone else doing with cord cutting?

I'm paying even less now for ATT Uverse after 1 year with the same service, no annual price hikes like Cox.  Think I'm paying less or comparable to those with Gigabit Internet and Youtube Streaming & Netflix. 

I do Hulu ($5.99) + Netflix ($10.99) + Prime (I consider this free b/c i would have Prime anyway) + CBS Access (free - only watch current seasons of current shows) + antenna = $16.98.  We will sub HBO and Showtime certain months out of the year (for GOT/Billions/etc).  We also do a one team MLB streaming package.  General sports gets a bit trickier and we probably miss out on some sports we would watch if we had a cable package, but we don't really have much time to sit and watch sports on the weekend.  Between this handful of streaming services, we have more content than we can even consume. 

The other perk about streaming is you can watch on the road, biz trips, vacations, etc.  Can you do that with AT&T or Cox?

bones said:
I do Hulu ($5.99) + Netflix ($10.99) + Prime (I consider this free b/c i would have Prime anyway) + CBS Access (free - only watch current seasons of current shows) + antenna = $16.98.  We will sub HBO and Showtime certain months out of the year (for GOT/Billions/etc).  We also do a one team MLB streaming package.  General sports gets a bit trickier and we probably miss out on some sports we would watch if we had a cable package, but we don't really have much time to sit and watch sports on the weekend.  Between this handful of streaming services, we have more content than we can even consume. 

The other perk about streaming is you can watch on the road, biz trips, vacations, etc.  Can you do that with AT&T or Cox?

Depending on the plan...I believe you can watch live TV with AT&T and Cox.  You can also do Youtube Live.

Irvinecommuter said:
bones said:

Depending on the plan...I believe you can watch live TV with AT&T and Cox.  You can also do Youtube Live.

That makes sense.  I remember some sites asking you for your cable provider before you can stream the shows.  So on the go watching is probably the same regardless.

eyephone said:
YouTube live is going to raise the monthly fee.

Yes, I said that above... increase to $50/mo and added the Discovery channels.

DirecTVNow also increased their prices and lost the Discovery channels.

Sling might be the best deal right now.

bones said:
Irvinecommuter said:
bones said:

That makes sense.  I remember some sites asking you for your cable provider before you can stream the shows.  So on the go watching is probably the same regardless.

With Dish the Dish Anywhere app you can access your account on the road to watch all Dish live content. It's easier than having to sign in to each service which is why I think some type of aggregator service would be good to combine all your streaming services into one portal. There are some out there but it would be nice if you could also get some discount for using it.

I had DIRECTV + DIRECTV Now and for some reason didn't realize that my DIRECTV subscription alone gives me the ability to live stream all my channels on the DIRECTV App, so finally dumped DIRECTV Now App just before the price hike.  Now just have to figure out how to cast from the DIRECTV Streaming iOS App to my smart TV's that have an Apple TV attached.  It seems like they blocked the swipe up settings dialogue in that app so I can't cast it or screen mirror to the Apple TV connected sets.  There must be some hacky way.

Back