Storage Shed

jerometl

Did anybody have experience building storage shed in the backyard that would meet HOA requirements ?  We have a decent size backyard (at least by Irvine standard), but has the standard two-door garage (9 ft ceiling) garage so there is little room for storage if we want to comfortably park two cars inside.  Our previous house had about a 10 ft high ceiling so we were able to store stuff on overhead rack then that we can't do now.

Was thinking of something similar to these but looks like choices are very limited due to height restrictions:
http://888tuffshed.com/products_prices.cfm?ModelID=mr-450&pg=Prices

Anybody had experience building one and how you go around HOA restrictions ?  thanks.

Does the HOA architectural guidelines mention anything about shed?  If not then just don't tell them.  You may want a portable one just in case you need to get rid or upsize. 

HOA management typically walk the neighborhood, and peek thru your side yard, if it sticks out, you will get cited.  Or if a neighbor rats you out, you'll also get cited. Luckily my HOA/neighbors are not uptight (i.e. neighbor has portable bball setup permanently in cul de sac). 

If you have an itty bitty iPac yard, good luck

Meggie said:
Does the HOA architectural guidelines mention anything about shed?  If not then just don't tell them.  You may want a portable one just in case you need to get rid or upsize.

I think there is but am lazy to read through the long guidelines .. but I think the main thing is it should not be higher than the dividing wall and it must blend with everything else (in short, they can have you take it down if they feel it is ugly or does not meet their taste). 

If we are building one, we would probably not consider a portable one or those flimsy one you an buy and assemble from Lowes or Home Depot.  I would not want a strong Santa Ana wind to blow it away one day :)

Read through the design guidelines, outdoor storage sheds are allowed in SFR, same guidelines as WTTCMN posted.  Not allowed in detached condos though.

WasToldToChangeMyName said:
GH said:
Meggie said:

I think there is but am lazy to read through the long guidelines .. but I think the main thing is it should not be higher than the dividing wall and it must blend with everything else (in short, they can have you take it down if they feel it is ugly or does not meet their taste). 

If we are building one, we would probably not consider a portable one or those flimsy one you an buy and assemble from Lowes or Home Depot.  I would not want a strong Santa Ana wind to blow it away one day :)

P.S.  Do you have your guidelines in PDF or can you ask for them in that format?  I just use the search function to get through mine (along with all other HOA overlord docs).  Super easy!

Thanks for the tip... I search through the association website documents..  Only mention of outdoor storage:

Outdoor Storage ? Not permitted where visible from Association Property

:)

GH said:
Thanks for the tip... I search through the association website documents..  Only mention of outdoor storage:

Outdoor Storage ? Not permitted where visible from Association Property

:)

Oh thank goodness.  I purchased 2 Outdoor Storage sheds from Walmart and I was very worried the association will ask me to remove them. 
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Suncast-Vertical-Utility-Shed-Sand/27653123

They fit perfectly on the small side yards.  I only have the typical 5 1/2 feet side yards so these work the best because they are tall, can't be seen from the street, and have small swinging doors so I can open them without the doors hitting the wall.

Back