Stonetree Homes

matchbox

I know it's not an I-Home with a driveway, but it has decent curb appeal. (They face real streets, sometimes parks, and most are set back a good distance from the curb more so than any of the new homes being offered)  I'm seriously about to bite on one of these. I am debating between the ones offered by the New Home Company facing the Elementary School or one of the REO properties. Some of these are in great locations, and prices are now from the low 6 ranges (for new even) compared to the 9's at the peak. What do you think?

One of my buyers is in the same boat as you are.  I have delt directly with the builder broker (Jeff Golden) before for another buyer who closed on one of the Four Quartets condos and Jeff has been an absolute pleasure to work with (I wish more agents would be like him).  My buyer and I are currently trying to creatively structure the terms to buy one of the new Stonetree and we both like how the builder is showing flexibility and a willingness to be creative to get a deal done.  I can talk in more detail via PM you'd like more information.

I have talked to Jeff Golden. He is a very personable and knowledgeable guy, even shared a great deal regarding the new Lambert Ranch development. Right now, I am still unsure of the location there of the new homes- even though they are elevated from the street it gets very busy in the mornings and afternoons with school traffic.
This one particular was in a prime location. They never called even me back, and I called within 2 days of the redfin listing. I am keeping my eyes out for another one like it. http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/173-Wild-Lilac-92620/home/7210947

matchbox said:
I have talked to Jeff Golden. He is a very personable and knowledgeable guy, even shared a great deal regarding the new Lambert Ranch development. Right now, I am still unsure of the location there of the new homes- even though they are elevated from the street it gets very busy in the mornings and afternoons with school traffic.
This one particular was in a prime location. They never called even me back, and I called within 2 days of the redfin listing. I am keeping my eyes out for another one like it. http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/173-Wild-Lilac-92620/home/7210947
My buyer is focusing on the homes on Twin Gables for the reason you mentioned above.  Did Jeff show you how they have a modification of Plan 2 to increase it by approx. 240sf? 

I submitted an offer for 173 Wild Lilac for my buyer, but we got outbid (there was multiple offers on that home).  The one problem is that most of the re-sale are probably gonna be underwater and be short sales which can be a pain to deal with. 

I like the downstairs of Plan 3 and the upstairs of Plan 2.

Having the living space separate from the kitchen/dining is not so functional... esp in today's Great Room layouts.

Of the detached condos in Woodbury, I like the Cachette Plan 3 the best.

Nice. I did not know about that extra option to add more space. I will have to go back and check it out. Jeff and I got so caught up in talking about new developments we didn't focus on the task at hand.

Regarding the great room concept, I personally don't like it. I think it only works when the home has an oversized den like over there at Maricopa where it could turn it into a formal man cave. I don't want to hear stir-frying, and smell shrimp paste and/or fish sauce while I am trying to watch Million Dollar listing or Selling New York in the living room. Stonetree Plan 2 with its separate living room works best for me personally.  Plus all those french doors will work to dissipate all the cooking smells.

Who uses the kitchen to cook? Pros cook that stuff outside in the "dirty kitchen". The kitchen is just there to hold the fridge, microwave and dishes.

I also like a separate living space but some families like to eat and watch Phineas and Ferb at the same time.

I looked on TNHC website and I didn't see where they could add the extra space... is it upstairs or downstairs?

Twin Gables is nice but the homes basically hug the curb on that street. IMO, a setback from the street makes a big difference in terms of curb appeal.  The homes on Revival, although busier, is elevated and set back from the street which makes it more desirable for me.

The courtyard on plan 2 can also serve as an outdoor kitchen. But I agree with IHO, I like the upstairs layout in ST plan 2: large bedrooms and closets and outdoor connection to the upstairs Cali room off the hallway. (For extra space-maybe they have that as a conservatory option now to keep up with the times.)

I liked the Stonetree homes but couldn't tear myself away from no driveway. Some of the resales have large front lawns. I would stay away from anything across from WB Elementary--way too much noise and traffic twice a day. Good luck with your search.

A slight problem with plan 2's upstairs is that bedroom 3 is so far away from the bathroom. It does make for a great office/study though. Also corner lots of plan 2 get a nice bay window in the master bath. ++

matchbox said:
But I agree with IHO, I like the upstairs layout in ST plan 2: large bedrooms and closets and outdoor connection to the upstairs Cali room off the hallway. (For extra space-maybe they have that as a conservatory option now to keep up with the times.)

There was a news yesterday saying that new home sales are down in 75% of the markets, so I wonder if the Stonetree builder would willing to be more flexible about the price, or give away more upgrades. Jeff Golden is nice but he said they won't do anything more about the price.

What do you guyrs think?

RHMAV said:
There was a news yesterday saying that new home sales are down in 75% of the markets, so I wonder if the Stonetree builder would willing to be more flexible about the price, or give away more upgrades. Jeff Golden is nice but he said they won't do anything more about the price.

What do you guyrs think?
That's what he told my buyer who is interested in a Plan 2.  Time can have a way to softening up builders.

in one of your posting. you said you are helping your buyer to come up
"creative structure term" for one of the plans of stonetree home, can you share some idea about it? we are new to new home buy. thanks.

i wished more developers offered the long interest rate lock the way these guys are doing. buying now and being exposed to the interest rate risk until the home closes kind of sucks.

RHMAV said:
in one of your posting. you said you are helping your buyer to come up
"creative structure term" for one of the plans of stonetree home, can you share some idea about it? we are new to new home buy. thanks.
I was using the commission kickback to bridge the gap between the builder and my buyer.

qwerty said:
i wished more developers offered the long interest rate lock the way these guys are doing. buying now and being exposed to the interest rate risk until the home closes kind of sucks.
It's not the developer but the bank that offers it.  From my talking to Bank of America, they are the only ones that offer it (I had no idea any bank offered it).  It normally lasts 6 months (costs 1% of the loan amount) and can be extended for two to three 30-day periods (costs 1/8% to 1/4% of the loan amount for each extension), The New Home Company paid for 3/4 of the cost and BofA picked up the other 1/4 of the cost for my buyer who closed on the Four Quartets condo.

Back