Stonegate vs. Woodbury

matchbox said:
Last year TIC was proposing to replace originally planned detached homes and  pocket park in Woodbury with a higher density attached product. The neighborhood fought back, and we ended up comprimising by having Montecito homes and a pedestrian trail there in the end.
So the compromise was a higher density detached product. I think TIC pulled a fast one.

irvinehomeowner said:
matchbox said:
Last year TIC was proposing to replace originally planned detached homes and  pocket park in Woodbury with a higher density attached product. The neighborhood fought back, and we ended up comprimising by having Montecito homes and a pedestrian trail there in the end.
So the compromise was a higher density detached product. I think TIC pulled a fast one.
matchbox said:
bones said:
Agree.  Manzanita was supposed to build on more of that land - they ended up building less than 30 homes I believe.

At least they didn't try to fill space by doing an apartment complex there.

That's how I had come to understand the A and B village concept. Last year TIC was proposing to replace originally planned detached homes and  pocket park in Woodbury with a higher density attached product. The neighborhood fought back, and we ended up comprimising by having Montecito homes and a pedestrian trail there in the end.

To put an apartment complex in the middle of the North enclave in PS TIC would need to seek approval from not only the city , but also the surrounding neighborhood.
If I were a resident of PS, I'd tell TIC to pound sand on the idea of putting in more apartments over there.

irvinehomeowner said:
matchbox said:

You couldn't have said it any better.  :-\

Does anyone know if the land currently occupied by Hines Nursery is also going to be a part of Stonegate?  If this is the case, Stonegate will be as large as WB. 

ak said:
Does anyone know if the land currently occupied by Hines Nursery is also going to be a part of Stonegate?  If this is the case, Stonegate will be as large as WB.

I don't know where the hines nursery is but stone gate will be trapezoid shaped taking up the whole block from irvine to portola and jeffery to sand canyon

The Hines Nusery is leasing the parcel of land located on the west side of Jeffrey, between Portola and Irvine. It has the Hicks Canyon Trail running through it. Its wedged between the original Northwood and The Groves. My guess is this will become "Northwood III" After all NW II was created an empty parcel similar to it not too long ago.  Irvine village boundaries don't tend to cross over the major north south boulevards.

Another viable guess would be that it become the Groves Mobile Home Park II.  :eek:

ak said:
I am looking to buy either a Maricopa plan 3 or a San Marino plan 1.  I was wondering what the group thought would be a better buy in the long term.  In my opinion, Woodbury is a nicer development than Stonegate with a much higher end feel to it and amenities.  Does anyone know what the full build out of Stonegate will look like?  Can I find this out know through the City of Irvine?

I would prefer SE over WB, simply because SE goes to NorthWood High. In term of facility, there is not much difference. Personally I do not like elementary school so close to homes, too much traffic each day. I just tour WB today, too many attached or motor court neighborhoods. Hopefully as SE is built out, TIC won't crowd SE in the same way. In addition, I think that San Marino is overpriced at least 100k, the sale is really slow. By the time of resale, you will face the same problem. Good luck with your purchase!

Hi there! We are new to TI and have been wondering...
Is the landfill a big issue for SG? Pro's and Con's of having a landfill nearby? We are first time home buyers, not sure what the implications are...
Also, is the reservoir an issue at all? Any thoughts would be much appreciated! :)

YP

villagepeople said:
i like the woodbury location better... and even when it's all built out i think woodbury would be nicer (probably not by much but if i had to choose).  first off is the distance to the 5... a little closer (but not too close)... distance from the landfill (further)... and distance from the hills that get lit up every 5-10 years (further).  Add to that woodbury has a retail center (nice to be able to walk there without crossing irvine blvd)... and this may be a personal preference, but woodbury has a larger pool and a large community park.  Finally, their elementary school is year round which i prefer, for my daughter.

with that said, i bought in stonegate but that's because as of today, i can't get a detached in woodbury for ~550k (what i'm paying for in stonegate).  i don't know about san marino vs. maricopa... but if you're just asking about community i'd pick woodbury.

I've been following these forums for a while and am surprised that nobody has talked about the Woodbury elementary school here. It is the third worst elementry school in Irvine out of 22 with an API of 900, statewide rank of 9 (where as almost all schools in Irvine are ranked 10). Am I missing something? Is there hope that it will get better soon?
We were seriously thinking of buying in Woodbury, hesitated when we found out Irvine high school is not as good as Northwood and University and deffinitely stopped looking at Woodbury when we found out the rankings for the elementary school. Stonegate elementary seems pretty good with an API of 944.

Nova said:
I've been following these forums for a while and am surprised that nobody has talked about the Woodbury elementary school here. It is the third worst elementry school in Irvine out of 22 with an API of 900, statewide rank of 9 (where as almost all schools in Irvine are ranked 10). Am I missing something? Is there hope that it will get better soon?
We were seriously thinking of buying in Woodbury, hesitated when we found out Irvine high school is not as good as Northwood and University and deffinitely stopped looking at Woodbury when we found out the rankings for the elementary school. Stonegate elementary seems pretty good with an API of 944.

Since Woodbury is year-round school, you have option of going to Stonegate elementary (traditional school). For high schools the difference between Irvine High and Northwood High is much less significant.

lcms2002 said:
Since Woodbury is year-round school, you have option of going to Stonegate elementary (traditional school). For high schools the difference between Irvine High and Northwood High is much less significant.

But somebody stated here that this year the substitute school for Woodbury is not Stonegate. Can anyone verify this?

I believe the alternate is Santiago Hills elementary.  You can apply to any elementary school, but not so with middle and high schools.  If in WB, you'll be assigned to Jeffrey Trail Middle school and Irvine High, while SG would be Jeffrey Trail Middle school then onto Northwood.  Does seem odd that you could have friends through middle school and then split them apart just because they live one major street away.

It is highly unlikely that cell towers pose any threat of cancer, and there is good reason why you don't see any credible research to that effect.  Radio waves are not ionizing (i.e. bad) radiation, the only thing they can possibly do to biological tissue is to heat it by microscopic amounts.  When you hear people talk about cell phones causing cancer, it's from the battery inside that CAN leak small amounts of ionizing radiation.  Also, if the signal strength of a cell tower was noticeably smaller 400 meters away, they would be useless.  These things have ranges of miles. 

If there is, in fact, a slightly higher cancer rate in people living right by cell towers, it is almost certainly due to outside variables.  Since people don't want ugly towers in their backyard, they TEND to be placed in less desirable places where people may not have as much money for things like healthy food, quality healthcare, etc.  That makes it really hard to disentangle what is causing what.

On a side note, I don't think lobby groups have nearly as much control over research findings as you claim.  If anything, there is a large incentive for researchers to find credible evidence that cell towers are dangerous because it would make a name for them, which is crucial to advance in that field. 

TL;DR - Don't worry about cell towers unless you think they are ugly.

kayochan said:
Plus, Irvine High School has about 5 cell towers surrounding the baseball field area/classrooms.

That explains the underperformance relative to other Irvine students.

Back