Stock picks

Setting limit orders on small positions for FL and LEVI today.

FL stores are usually inside malls, however since they believe many malls have...  dim future prospects, FL decided to open large stand alone "power stores" like KSS.  Due to COVID-19 last year the store openings were paused, but has since restarted.

foot-locker-power-store-compton-california-mural.jpg

Aren't you guys too lazy to make the effort to drive to a shoe store nowadays?  I just order on zappos and return with free shipping both ways if it doesn't fit. 

momopi said:

FL stores are usually inside malls, however since they believe many malls have...  dim future prospects, FL decided to open large stand alone "power stores" like KSS.  Due to COVID-19 last year the store openings were paused, but has since restarted.

Supply chain issues?

aquabliss said:
Aren't you guys too lazy to make the effort to drive to a shoe store nowadays?  I just order on zappos and return with free shipping both ways if it doesn't fit. 

I only mail order shoes (and pants) of specific model that I already own and know the fit.  In the past I would visit the ECCO shoe store to find shoes that fit well, buy a pair, then wait a year or so to order the same model/size shoe from outlet store.

Because Ecco tend to retire their Biom models after a year or two, when I find one that I like and it gets retired to outlet store, I'd stock up.  I think I still have like 2 or 3 new pairs in the garage.

I'm only buying small open positions in FL and LEVI.  I suspect we may have a dip in Oct.  The stock will be held until 1Q 2022.  Hopefully these retailers will get sufficient stock for black Friday and Xmas season.

eyephone said:
momopi said:

Supply chain issues?

CNN Business: Nike, Under Armour and others face supply problems in Vietnam
https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/02/business/vietnam-supply-chain-disruptions/index.html

foot locker recently opened a large standalone store like this about a block from me.  it was formerly an american apparel.  there are lines around the block any time there is a shoe "drop".  also the occasional shooting.  they seem to be doing pretty good business though.

Foot locker plans to eventually close some existing stores, located mostly inside malls, and replace them with smaller number of "power stores" that are much bigger in size.

At Downey/Norwalk they are opening a new Power Store across from Stonewood mall, next door to Big 5.  Sneakerheads will rejoice.

a lot of high growth name stocks are easily down 15%+ since the top because of higher "bond yields".... Because these tech companies are totally impacted by supply chain issues and covid.... i find the narrative hilarious when people say sell the tech names due to high yields. they don't know anything about tech if they say that.

eyephone said:
Yeah, but not all have known supply issues.
I would say 80%+ high growth tech names have no dependency on supply chain issues besides semiconductors that I'm aware of. But that just means they can increase the price of the chips since everyone and their mother need them right now.

So what is the story behind FL.
When Nike released q1 earnings they talked about supply chain. Also, Nike is selling dtc through its website and app.

I guess I dont see the buzz behind Foot locker.

I've been watching this older YouTuber (I think late 70's) who really makes a good case for Editas stock (TICKER: EDIT).  He feels the next catalyst sector is gene therapy and disease cure, etc.  Bought some in my Roth earlier this week for $36, this guy thinks it has the power to go 10x-15x in 5ish years, so I'll probably ride it out for awhile and see how it goes. 

Also hoping TSLA breaks out next week after earnings and finally hits that $1,000 mark.  It's hard not to invest in TSLA when you live in Irvine and see literally what feels like 25% of the vehicles on the road are Tesla's. 

Did a buying spree of high quality tech names during the big red days thanks to our government. Tech stocks have now gone up nicely.

Sleepy, we only lost like 5ish percent on the nasdaq.  Wait until the real crash then you can buy at the 50% off sale.

Also feels like I should buy CVS stock.  When the Biden mandate hits, 30% of American adults will have to test weekly to keep their jobs.  I figure many of them will be running to Walgreens or CVS for this.

aquabliss said:
Sleepy, we only lost like 5ish percent on the nasdaq.  Wait until the real crash then you can buy at the 50% off sale.

Also feels like I should buy CVS stock.  When the Biden mandate hits, 30% of American adults will have to test weekly to keep their jobs.  I figure many of them will be running to Walgreens or CVS for this.
5% on nasdaq but 15%+ on individual high quality names like DOCU, FIVN, CRWD, SQ, etc. I never believe in timing the market. A 50%+ crash is honestly not likely unless interest rates go up or some dramatic event happens. March 2020 was arguably the latest market "crash" that we had and those happen generally every 8 years.

Time in market > Timing the market all day any day.

Nike shifted to DTC (direct to consumer) and cut wholesale accounts with Big 5, DSW, Urban Outfitters, etc.

The current supply issues has caused many retail stocks to tank.  KSS and FL dipped from $65 to $45, I've started buying both.  I'm actually hoping they would dip further so I can average down.

These are not very long holds.  I plan to sell them next year for a profit.

I?ll admit I didn?t think Rivian IPO would be green on day 2.  If this thing goes to $1,000 in 6mo I?ll be sad I stayed on the sidelines.

Fisker might still be a decent buy, I think if the Ocean gets good reviews it?s going to sell very well - it?s well priced, qualifies for tax credits and looks pretty good.  They just gotta start production already.

Back