Steppin' Down

evalseraphim

All,

I wanted to let you know that I have chosen to step down as the moderator of this forum. Here is the message I sent to SoCal explaining my reasons for doing so:

I wanted to drop you a note and let you know that I will be stepping down as moderator of the Food and Dining forum.

Lately I have been involved in the development of the Orange County Reader site and from some things I have seen and heard, it appears that you see the two sites as competitive rather than complimentary. Based on that, I think you and some others might perceive my participation as a moderator here to be more harmful than helpful.

I think it is terribly unfortunate for anyone to view the sites as competitive. At build-out, Irvine is estimated to have a population of about 225,000. With that residential population, as well as the "transitory" population (those who work in Irvine but do not live here), there are plenty of people who are interested in the schools, news, homes, government, restaurants, parks, etc. of Irvine. On the other hand, OC Reader is less about Irvine and more about Orange County. It is less about real estate and more about politics, economics, and things to do inside and outside of Orange County. The internet is a big place and I believe that there is room for both sites to exist without being duplicative of each other.

I would still like to participate as member of TI if you will allow me to do so. Thank you very much for the opportunity to be a moderator here. It was an interesting and educational experience.

Sorry to hear this Eval.

I don't think the sites are competitive as you point out and that one does have a wider subject range and is actually more active in other areas as you mentioned.

I also believe both can co-exist and I do hope you stay here as an active member.

Maybe one day you'll see that other site as an 'External Link' here at TI.

I guess I should respond here instead of the P.M.

Eva, I wish you would have come to me first with any questions you might have. I do not view the sites as competitive. I absolutely agree that the internet is a big place. We are interested in focusing on current and potential residents of Irvine. It is completely understandable that some people will have other interests. I'm not sure what you have seen & heard since you and I haven't had any conversations. I told one member of that site that I would personally put a word out if we could work something out but he replied saying it was not necessary. That's the only contact there has been regarding that matter. Yes, we absolutely have a filter in place containing words used for some vulgarities (to keep it safe for work) and some spam-related. These are features to help keep the site from being bombarded with things like advertisements. The list is evolving and will be updated from time-to-time.

I thank you for your service as the Food & Dining moderator.

[quote author="evalseraphim"]Just so y'all know, I did not insert the "[blank]." Those are filters added by the site owner.[/quote]

The site is OCreader.com

WWJD?

Edit to add: SoCal, why did you de-friend some of us on Facebook then?

Let's try some other sites and see what gets blocked, shall we?

mlparena.com
ocregister.com
latimes.com
google.com
woot.com
photobucket.com
spam.com
mcdonalds.com
sex.com
hotchicks.com
threesome.com

However, the words [blank] are bad? Here, let's misspell it, just for fun: ornge cnty reeder. Yeah, I bet that list is evolving, especially now that you know I found a way around the filter. LOL. /sarcasm off

Re: Facebook -

I have been receiving friend requests from users / readers who I am not familiar with and/or can not verify they are users of T.I. and not some random Facebook friend request. I currently use my personal acccount for all contacts, which has photos of my children, myself, etc. because I still like to share those things with friends I know. I was thinking of creating a separate account... one personal and one for web-related things like T.I. Some of my contacts will need to be moved to the correct account and added there. Facebook photos have been known to be swiped from accounts without persmission and posted online. I'd rather not increase my chance if I can help it so that is one advantage to adding the unknown people on a separate, more suitable account. Some contacts also have not had personal messages or wall posts exchanged in quite some time, so I tried to keep the list to people I see or think I will see in the flesh and keep the other one to the "virtual" contacts. I have not finished creating the new account and now I am not sure I will since I don't use even the one to do as much as I thought I would. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings by taking you off. I remember I also decided to move Bix to my new one and so I removed him too and I like Bix, so no hard feelings. (I haven't had any coffee yet. This will probably sound jumbled.)

I've always thought that "ocreader" was a good sister site to "talk irvine". Not everyone is so hard core about living in Irvine like Panda, CK, and IHO so it makes sense for the other site to exist. None of this should be considered to be competitive. C'mon guys, we're not in some high school popularity contest.

Brothers and Sisters! Let's all get along! <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D --> ;D

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]Sorry to hear this Eval.

I don't think the sites are competitive as you point out and that one does have a wider subject range and is actually more active in other areas as you mentioned.

I also believe both can co-exist and I do hope you stay here as an active member.

Maybe one day you'll see that other site as an 'External Link' here at TI.

[/quote]

I agree, and think both sites can and should be able to co-exist and even complement each other. Back at IHB there were always core groups that were very Irvine-centric, and those that were more broadly OC-centric. For some reason there was always some sort of hostility which lurked just under the surface. I never understood that. I mean, we are all a part of the same county. I can appreciate the reasons people would choose to live somewhere like Villa Park or Floral Park or North Tustin --- and I hope they can appreciate why I choose where I do.

Obviously the Talk Irvine site has proven to be very specific to Irvine local issues. That's great, and I have been an active participant as this directly relates to my life. But I also joined OC Reader and plan to participate just as much once it picks up steam --- as that site is also very relevant to my world.

So why can't we all co-exist?

Why does the orange county reader link work but the word ocreader is blocked if it were considered spam? Me thinks it was manually added.

And it is no secret that you really didn't want me around this site anyway.

BTW, everyone should click the link so they can read today's post. That is some funny shite right there.

graph... you're such a drama queen.

"Smell it... smell it... smell it... now take it! That's for you!"

Don't make me go to OCR and start spamming it with all my Irvine hawtness.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]graph... you're such a drama queen.

"Smell it... smell it... smell it... now take it! That's for you!"

Don't make me go to OCR and start spamming it with all my Irvine hawtness.[/quote]

I just call it like it is.

Your spam is always welcome over at www.ocreader.com. See, the URL works, funny huh. You might have to carry your battle royale on all of OC vs. Irvine over there eventually anyway. You only have one worthy opponent. Only one can handle the Irvine strength of IHO and his 3CWG powers. Too bad it isn't worth $59.99 to watch.

Hehe... I think I made him take his ball over to OCR.

He/she tried to get me with the 405 traffic thing and got... SERVED!

That being said... I believe I'm too juvenile for OCR... I already got reprimanded once for my style of vernacular.

WESSSAAAAYEEEED!

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]

That being said... I believe I'm too juvenile for OCR... I already got reprimanded once for my style of vernacular.
[/quote]

Dude, we talk about Barbie and restaurants and why the weekends made us happy. You'll be just fine.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]Hehe... I think I made him take his ball over to OCR.

He/she tried to get me with the 405 traffic thing and got... SERVED!

WESSSAAAAYEEEED![/quote]

You get called out for you saying "Oh Snap!" and you run and hide, but bring why 3CWG are useless... then it is ON! Come on, you can handle it.

[quote author="graphrix"]
You get called out for you saying "Oh Snap!" and you run and hide, but bring why 3CWG are useless... then it is ON! Come on, you can handle it. [/quote]
Oh boohoo... you can't actually think I'm that sensitive. I even parodied back with my limerick skillz.

To be honest... when I saw nude get nerfed... it rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe when there is more real estate stuff I'll post more... the only thing I really reply to is the sports topics.

And... someone's gotta fix the server or the software over there... it's slow as heck... I even FireFox-blocked the graphics but it's like I'm on dialup. And no email notifications makes me less inclined... I'm lazy and I want the Internet to tell me when someone is bagging on me... I don't want to have to go look for it.

I have no problems with the server over at www.ocreader.com. I don't know why it is slow for you.

Nude got snuffed here too, but at least over there he was being a jerk publicly to deserve a ban. I would never want him to get banned, but that is another story. No matter how butt ugly he really is.

I will send you an email when someone is bagging on you until they get that fixed for you.

[quote author="graphrix"]And it is no secret that you really didn't want me around this site anyway. [/quote]

Come on now, Graph. You know that I do not hate you. We may be yin & yang but you are still here, aren't you?... and I'm still here too. I have not touched your posts one iota. I let you have your say. We may not be best friends and braid each other's hair. But I do know you are capable of contributing in a valuable way here. If I didn't think that, I wouldn't have made that post asking for blog contributors which was a favor for you and listening to your feedback that we talked about privately and even agreed on. I think it would actually be good if you could start telling people more about yourself and your personal experience in the industry you have been in (in the RE threads). If we are having any miscommunications, you let me know. I may not be able to respond immediately but I will try to give it the attention it deserves. Bring it! <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

Moderators, please let us know when someone is assigned to start moderating all the bullcr@p written in the food and dining section. I refuse to open threads that go unmoderated regarding topics like $1 oatmeal at jamba juice.

But seriously, eval and cayci, you're being just as sensitive as the people you're accusing of being overly sensitive. I'm sure there's more to it, but that's what pm is for and do your job as moderator and save us from having to read about personal beefs that go beyond the internet.

[quote author="haiku"]Moderators, please let us know when someone is assigned to start moderating all the bullcr@p written in the food and dining section. I refuse to open threads that go unmoderated regarding topics like $1 oatmeal at jamba juice.

But seriously, eval and cayci, you're being just as sensitive as the people you're accusing of being overly sensitive. I'm sure there's more to it, but that's what pm is for and do your job as moderator and save us from having to read about personal beefs that go beyond the internet.[/quote]

Seriously, dude, you are attributing way too much emotion to me.

I am not a moderator here, and it was the sensitivity of the word filter on this site that I was addressing, if at all.

Pointing out an event does not imply that I personally care that the event occured. It was merely factual evidence that did not lend itself to SoCal's explanations.

I sincerely hope that de-friending actions and deliberate word-replacement actions all happening in the same short timespan is just a coincidence.

Back