Sonoma revisited

ps99472

So yesterday I drove through Sonoma to get a feel of the community.  The last time I was here was to collect my deposit check after we backed out on a plan 1.  I believe Maricopa will look like these after built out and just want to compare.  The houses on Rolling Green near the entrance seems really big, big as in a big guy wearing a extra small t-shirt.  You really can't tell they're zero lots until you peek into the back yards which is pretty smart.  Saw alot of companies banners advertising their services stuck on the front lawn space of houses.  Maybe HOA is pretty lax on these?  Seems like everyone was going with this one landscaper.. forgot the name.. black banner with orange  lettering?  Most of the front lawns were not done but I think those were the later phases.  Park was empty (Sunday afternoon).  Streets seem really crowded, there seems to be an abundance of minivans/SUVs parked on the street on opposite sides, so makes thru traffic lanes really narrow.  I saw somebody with a garage full of boxes (crap) and two cars parked on the driveway.. hopefully they're just moving in.  No parking in the cul de sacs due to fire lanes but someone still parked there anyways making it hard for me to turn around.  Saw another house with shoe racks left in the porch area, (hello? HOA?).  The Carmel homes facing Rolling Green actually seems smaller due to the larger lot sizes compared with Sonoma on 3600 lots (though not by much).  It's funny when we drove by the house we were going to buy and saw an almost carbon copy couple that owns it outside in the driveway. 

I always wondered how Montecito could be priced where its at when Sonoma, and now Maricopa, are only 20-30k more (base price).

blitzjs said:
I always wondered how Montecito could be priced where its at when Sonoma, and now Maricopa, are only 20-30k more (base price).

I wonder how Montecito resales will affect Sonoma, since they are both considered SFR's any appraisal comps for Sonoma would pull in Montecito as well. 

ps99472 said:
blitzjs said:
I wonder how Montecito resales will affect Sonoma, since they are both considered SFR's any appraisal comps for Sonoma would pull in Montecito as well. 

I'm sure the selling agents for sonoma would be quick to point out the obvious difference in the SFR of sonoma and the detached residences of Monticeto.  Though that might not stop buyers who look at Zillow from comparing the prices.

Lots of people park their cars on the street which makes the street feel narower.  The problem with california new homes is the lack of basements.  That leaves only the garage for storage.  I guess the HOA is not strict on this policy

Hey.. That's my house with the shoe rack. I'm trying to start a new tread around here.
ps99472 said:
So yesterday I drove through Sonoma to get a feel of the community.  The last time I was here was to collect my deposit check after we backed out on a plan 1.  I believe Maricopa will look like these after built out and just want to compare.  The houses on Rolling Green near the entrance seems really big, big as in a big guy wearing a extra small t-shirt.  You really can't tell they're zero lots until you peek into the back yards which is pretty smart.  Saw alot of companies banners advertising their services stuck on the front lawn space of houses.  Maybe HOA is pretty lax on these?  Seems like everyone was going with this one landscaper.. forgot the name.. black banner with orange  lettering?  Most of the front lawns were not done but I think those were the later phases.  Park was empty (Sunday afternoon).  Streets seem really crowded, there seems to be an abundance of minivans/SUVs parked on the street on opposite sides, so makes thru traffic lanes really narrow.  I saw somebody with a garage full of boxes (crap) and two cars parked on the driveway.. hopefully they're just moving in.  No parking in the cul de sacs due to fire lanes but someone still parked there anyways making it hard for me to turn around.  Saw another house with shoe racks left in the porch area, (hello? HOA?).  The Carmel homes facing Rolling Green actually seems smaller due to the larger lot sizes compared with Sonoma on 3600 lots (though not by much).  It's funny when we drove by the house we were going to buy and saw an almost carbon copy couple that owns it outside in the driveway.

Saw this on Zillow
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/30-Tall-Cedars-Irvine-CA-92620/69248932_zpid/#{scid=hdp-site-map-bubble-address}

So this has been on Zillow for almost two months.  You can rent out within a year of acquiring property in Sonoma?  I thought you have to sign that agreement on owner occupancy, etc..  30 Tall Cedars was a phase 2 release for $895,300.  Nice to be able to buy almost a million dollar home and just rent it out. 

For those who live in Sonoma (ny, noma, i2i), which HOA management company did they pick for you guys?  What's your experience with them so far?  How's participation?  Quorum issues? 

ps99472 said:
Saw this on Zillow
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/30-Tall-Cedars-Irvine-CA-92620/69248932_zpid/#{scid=hdp-site-map-bubble-address}

So this has been on Zillow for almost two months.  You can rent out within a year of acquiring property in Sonoma?  I thought you have to sign that agreement on owner occupancy, etc..  30 Tall Cedars was a phase 2 release for $895,300.  Nice to be able to buy almost a million dollar home and just rent it out. 

For those who live in Sonoma (ny, noma, i2i), which HOA management company did they pick for you guys?  What's your experience with them so far?  How's participation?  Quorum issues? 

Sonoma is part of the master association run by PCM.  No sub-association.

I saw that home on zillow too.  I walked down to see it.  Very baseline landscaping.  It looks like the house hits its one year mark on may 20th.  Of course you can sell/rent before the one year for financial reasons.

As i wallked down the street I saw a realtor lock on a house just up the street from this house.  It's not listed but I bet it too might be up for sale/rent soon.

ps99472 said:
Saw this on Zillow

Being right next to Sand Canyon, he may have a difficult time getting a rent north of $4,000.  I don't know about you, but buying a home and holding it vacant for a year not living in it really makes no financial sense to me.  If you have so much money burning  a hole in your pocket, why not buy a re-sale home and rent it out ASAP?  Seems like more proof that some people have more money than they do financial common sense.

bones said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Being right next to Sand Canyon, he may have a difficult time getting a rent north of $4,000.  I don't know about you, but buying a home and holding it vacant for a year not living in it really makes no financial sense to me.  If you have so much money burning  a hole in your pocket, why not buy a re-sale home and rent it out ASAP?  Seems like more proof that some people have more money than they do financial common sense.

Could be some type of tax exchange...without knowing the details, it's hard to know whether it makes financial common sense.  It may not make sense for your balance sheet but may make sense for others.
Yeah, I tend to be pretty analytical when it comes to investment decisions so the year that the home vacant collecting just didn't make much sense to me.

Back